Phillip Fulmer Hired as Special Advisor to the President

I'm a huge Tennessee fan! Have been since I was a child. Invested in more than one degree from the University. Would they pay me for that?

After viewing your fine work on here?
200.gif

Reactions: 7 people
Fulmer was the leader of my childhood Vols, and it was a great time to be a Volunteer. Welcome back coach

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
The press release in the OP says that Phil has seven division titles. Isn't it 5 SEC championship game appearances and SIX division titles... 4 outright and 2 tied division titles?

The press release in the OP says that Phil has seven division titles. Isn't it 5 SEC championship game appearances and SIX division titles... 4 outright and 2 tied division titles?

I think that's right. Tied in '03 for sure. Think it was the same SEC record but lost head to head to Ga. Been a long time ago though.

I like Fulmer but this is a waste of state/taxpayer money. I mean, if the president wants to give him a job as a "special advisor," hey, why not--but is he going to actually do anything significant? Probably not.

Poor speculation on your part, IMHO

Has the salary been made public?

When the hire was first announced I heard that it was full-time. Now somebody has posted that Fulmer claims it's part-time. I might flip on my opinion that it's a good hire if it's part-time AND the compensation is well into 6 figures. He might still return more value than the salary, but the perception and bad publicity that comes from it may not make it worth it.

I'm a huge Tennessee fan! Have been since I was a child. Invested in more than one degree from the University. Would they pay me for that?

Not if you don't ask. That's the difference in a good salesman and an order-taker. One has to ask for the order. IMHO GO VOLS!!!

Per some earlier post, I think it barely meets the definition of 6 figures. It wouldn't surprise me if Fulmer is on a state pension given his coaching longevity and the point at time when he started, which means he is probably limited in the number of compensated hours that he can work for state government without having money deducted from his pension checks. Just a guess.

It's a full time job whereas when his role was as a volunteer he would only have to "work" when he felt like it. He probably actually will bring a lot of value for what it costs to pay him.

I agree. Hopefully, he'll play a role like a Development Officer, strengthening relationships with potential high level donors. I'm sure he knows at least 100 people who have the capability to donate over 1 million dollars to the university. If he is successful in convincing just 10% of those folks to donate that amount, its a win.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back