PFF top edge rusher - James Pearce

Yeah .... this is a good highlight video :

I would hit the mute button so you don't have to listen to that crap song.

one of my favorite things about Pearce is that he has so many moves, and the power to go with it. he isn't just an edge speed rusher who is going to run around the OT. He can beat them inside, and has the power to push them around too. He had several pressures and sacks where he just pushed the OT into the pocket.

he has also improved on his awareness of the pocket, and can follow the qb when the qb steps up in the pocket instead of just running a loop behind the play. also shows that he stays in the play and doesn't give up on it, second opportunity sacks count just the same.

its not like he just beats up on RTs or TEs either, who are more run blockers. he will play either side and get after their best blockers too.

and oh yeah, we can even flex him out to cover an RB or TE. granted that's never going to be his strong suit, but its not a given that a qb can just dump a ball over Pearce if the QB thinks he is going to bring pressure.

I think its the combination of his flexibility as well as his raw athletics and production that are going to get him drafted so high.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
The great value of Pearce, when he's not destroying people's hopes and dreams, is that he will draw double teams which will leave someone in the front 7 unblocked. I've always harped about gamewreckers up front being the most important thing you can have on defense. Pressure on the QB takes pressure off the secondary. Since the secondary always seems to be questionable, I think we'll see Pearce's true value this year even more so, even if he doesn't match the sack totals of 2023.

Last edited:
Barnett is one of my all time favorites, but Pearce is like Jevon Kearse or JaDaveon (I can’t remember how to spell his 1st name) Clowney potential. He’s a physical freak.

one of my favorite things about Pearce is that he has so many moves, and the power to go with it. he isn't just an edge speed rusher who is going to run around the OT. He can beat them inside, and has the power to push them around too. He had several pressures and sacks where he just pushed the OT into the pocket.

he has also improved on his awareness of the pocket, and can follow the qb when the qb steps up in the pocket instead of just running a loop behind the play. also shows that he stays in the play and doesn't give up on it, second opportunity sacks count just the same.

its not like he just beats up on RTs or TEs either, who are more run blockers. he will play either side and get after their best blockers too.

and oh yeah, we can even flex him out to cover an RB or TE. granted that's never going to be his strong suit, but its not a given that a qb can just dump a ball over Pearce if the QB thinks he is going to bring pressure.

I think its the combination of his flexibility as well as his raw athletics and production that are going to get him drafted so high.
My favorite thing about Pearce is that hes only scratched the surface of his full potential! He is still in the infancy part of his career and has so much growth potential. Dude is going to be scary!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
My favorite thing about Pearce is that hes only scratched the surface of his full potential! He is still in the infancy part of his career and has so much growth potential. Dude is going to be scary!
oh yeah. He definitely improved last year. That was something I was thinking about in that quote, is his freshman year it seemed like he gave up too early, or would run past the play. and he cleaned that up a lot last year. Not perfect, but noticeable improvements.

I think the main thing with Pearce is he going to be able to maintain the focus and consistency every down? when he turns it on, all bets are off, but I think he still needs a little maturing , which I think Garner will teach.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back