Perfect season gives Fulton claim to best-ever distinction

Jps has hit the nail on the head. I agree with his post 100%. Sojerbt, or whatever it is, you need to quit being a hater

Jps has hit the nail on the head. I agree with his post 100%. Sojerbt, or whatever it is, you need to quit being a hater

There is no hate involved, just disdain for your obnoxious and abrasive comments when someone disagrees with you, as evidenced by your past posts.

To say that this Fulton team is the best team EVER to come out of Knoxville is complete crap. No way this team would beat the 04-05 Central Bobcats. For those out there who remember this team as I do, they lost only 3 games to McCallie( Who had BJ Coleman) and to Maryville twice. Playing Fulton's schedule that year, Central would have ROLLED to a State title. College players off that team, just to name a few, were: Terrence Scott( College of the Canyons, Univ of Oregon ), Zach Helton ( Memphis), AJ Nance ( Kentucky), Lones Sieber ( Kentucky), Rob Longworth ( Walk-on at Tennessee), And Im sadly leaving some ppl out. Folks, Fulton this year was the best team out of Knoxville in a couple of years, BUT to say ever is completely Ridiculous.:loco:

BigO to have an opinion and to post something like this are two different things. This is your first post on this so do you see why people reply the way they do?

That's the beauty of high school football. It's all cyclical, unless you are Maryville :dance2: A lot of depends on the talent pool for a particular time frame. Powell has had a nice run, but the talent pool is going down and coaching turnover is too much to overcome. Fulton is loaded with talent they haven't seen for a while.

Who knows what the landscape will look like 2-4 years from now.[/QUOTE]

As a long time Rebel fan I saw some bad seasons. Since George Quarles has been coach there haven't been any down seasons. We Rebel fans are blessed with the best coaching staff I ever seen.

Fulton should have played West but neither coach would schedule the game. West should not have opened with Karns (as they will again this year) and Fulton should not have opened with Powell (as they will again this year). For two teams to complain that no one in Knox County will play them, this should be a no brainer. In my opinion it's time for these two teams to put up or shut up.

Fulton should have played West but neither coach would schedule the game. West should not have opened with Karns (as they will again this year) and Fulton should not have opened with Powell (as they will again this year). For two teams to complain that no one in Knox County will play them, this should be a no brainer. In my opinion it's time for these two teams to put up or shut up.

Can't speak for West but no one in Knox County wanted to play Fulton. And by the way Fulton and West have played 7 times since 2000. What is your point? Powell is a 6A team what more do you want from a 4A school?

You are VERY correct they should have played. West dropped Fulton for the record. Fulton wanted the game to renew but West did not. Kind of a shame in my opinion.

I really don't know about the "nobody wanted to play X" argument. It honestly sounds ridiculous to me. Unless you are talking about a team in your district (which you have to play anyway), what difference does it make? Unless you fear your team will get injured due to a huge size difference, I really don't understand this.

For Powell, it was great exposure as the game was televised. We were definitely outmatched against Fulton, but it definitely showed where the deficiencies were. I subscribe to the Pat Summit philosophy, play the best talent you can find outside of your district so you will be ready playoff time. Whether you win or lose has no bearing on playoffs, so it doesn't really matter.

Maybe most schools don't subscribe to that philosophy and were scared to play Fulton, but I suspect there is more to it than they were scared.

I really don't know about the "nobody wanted to play X" argument. It honestly sounds ridiculous to me. Unless you are talking about a team in your district (which you have to play anyway), what difference does it make? Unless you fear your team will get injured due to a huge size difference, I really don't understand this.

For Powell, it was great exposure as the game was televised. We were definitely outmatched against Fulton, but it definitely showed where the deficiencies were. I subscribe to the Pat Summit philosophy, play the best talent you can find outside of your district so you will be ready playoff time. Whether you win or lose has no bearing on playoffs, so it doesn't really matter.

Maybe most schools don't subscribe to that philosophy and were scared to play Fulton, but I suspect there is more to it than they were scared.

When Knox County calls a meeting with the ADs and tells them they are playing Fulton I would say that nobody wanted to play them. No one would scrimmage them except Anderson County. I think it has more to do with the playoffs then anything. One loss can be the difference from playing at home or on the road or even making the playoffs.

Arguably, some, or maybe even most, weren't just afraid of a potential loss, since all knew how loaded FHS was, and coming off a 2012 state title in which they broke their school record for points scored. But, there was a strong possibility of not just a loss, but an embarrassment, and that turned out to be the case in almost every game FHS won. Had Rollins not gotten hurt, those few games which weren't blowouts probably would have been, since he was averaging three td's a game himself. Some schools apparently chose to avoid that possibility.

The only thing ridiculous is anyone claiming Fulton is the best Knox area team ever. Sure they scored a ton of points against mediocre competition. So did upperman lol...To say they
Are better than any maryville team is ludacris. I'd say Maryville beat a couple teams better than Fulton in the playoffs Blackman for sure. Fulton was the best team in 4a this year and they beat a very hungry Giles county team. Fulton was explosive and athletic but on Maryvilles level? No way! Btw I had an Alcoa fan tell me before the alcoa /CPA game that nobody in the state could beat THEM right now! I said what about Fulton/Maryville? He said Fulton was scared to play them and Marysville couldn't beat them at this point in the season lol... maybe you guys should do a playoff postseason. Anyways this is just my opinion from watching all these teams play so tifwiw I don't have a dog in this race and live 100 miles from knoxville

Fulton played 2 teams that Maryville did. Fulton beat Bearden by 1 more point than Maryville did. Fulton beat Farragut by 8 more. Fulton beat Giles County by the same amount that Ensworth beat them. Greeneville is as good as any team around and Fulton beat them. I know this might sound silly but at least it's some kind of justification.

Arguably, some, or maybe even most, weren't just afraid of a potential loss, since all knew how loaded FHS was, and coming off a 2012 state title in which they broke their school record for points scored. But, there was a strong possibility of not just a loss, but an embarrassment, and that turned out to be the case in almost every game FHS won. Had Rollins not gotten hurt, those few games which weren't blowouts probably would have been, since he was averaging three td's a game himself. Some schools apparently chose to avoid that possibility.

I think that is my point - I just have a hard time believing that a team would avoid playing Fulton just because they are scared. If that is the case, then the head coach should get out of the business because you can't coach scared.

Fulton played 2 teams that Maryville did. Fulton beat Bearden by 1 more point than Maryville did. Fulton beat Farragut by 8 more. Fulton beat Giles County by the same amount that Ensworth beat them. Greeneville is as good as any team around and Fulton beat them. I know this might sound silly but at least it's some kind of justification.

Wouldn't it be cool of TN installed another championship? Maybe two more titles - lower division state champion and upper division state champ (3 vs 4 vs 5 vs 6). I've never heard of a state doing this, but can you imagine how awesome that would be. It would certainly put an end to all of the speculation.

Wouldn't it be cool of TN installed another championship? Maybe two more titles - lower division state champion and upper division state champ (3 vs 4 vs 5 vs 6). I've never heard of a state doing this, but can you imagine how awesome that would be. It would certainly put an end to all of the speculation.

That would be interesting and it is likely that in some years the lower division would prevail. Espn might even jump on that should some larger states try that idea.

Originally Posted by doorag6
Btw I had an Alcoa fan tell me before the alcoa /CPA game that nobody in the state could beat THEM right now!

Really perceptive individual based on his quoting an Alcoa fan who was speaking out of his DERRIERE, which a lot of Alcoa fans are prone to do, it seems. And, that after Maryville thrashed them during the season and was even stronger at season's end. Watching all the teams play, as he claims, is very different than having knowledge of the game, and the teams playing.

Last edited:
Fulton finishes #95 in the HSGB100 list. Guess who's not on the list?

Maryville
Ensworth
Blackman
Oakland

And the rest of the teams in the state.

Not too bad for a little 4A school.

Fulton finishes #95 in the HSGB100 list. Guess who's not on the list?

Maryville
Ensworth
Blackman
Oakland

And the rest of the teams in the state.

Not too bad for a little 4A school.

Sweet - good for Fulton. Does it list anywhere what the criteria is to make the list? Just curious how they come up with the list.

Who was #1?

Sweet - good for Fulton. Does it list anywhere what the criteria is to make the list? Just curious how they come up with the list.

Who was #1?

Booker T Washington in Fla. was #1. There's a link on the WVLT site. I don't think there is any criteria for the ranking. I think there are 3 or 4 sites the do rankings. Rivals, MaxPreps etc. I think this one is for USA today. I personally put more weight in the Rivals rankings but I don't think they have the final one done yet.

Who was #1?

Probably the same people that voted CPA #1 over Alcoee all season....:lolabove:

VN Store

Back