Per Brice

There is no excuse for 2008. I still think they jumped the gun on Fulmer, and I always will. The man had proved he could win at the highest lest. That season should not have been the end of his career. I believe with him and Clawson, year 2 would have been much better especially with Boyd coming.

It had been 10 years since 98. Sure we made the occasional trip to Atlanta. 2004 was probably one of Fulmers best coaching jobs without Cut. It just wasn’t there anymore in 08. It was very sad, and very needlessly prolonged. I wish he’d have walked away in 2004 on a bright spot, but he didn’t. I think the Alabama game sealed his fate in 08. 30,000 bammers singing rammer jammer inside Neyland Stadium had folks furious. I like the guy, but all the revisionist history that goes on here is just wrong.

Reactions: 2 people
He’s at Washington and plays at 1000 pm for most of America. Just shut up. That’s his whole point of being dissatisfied at Washington from his mouth. You are starting to be annoyingly stupid.

So because of that one statement you think he is ready to sit down with Tennessee and talk? I sure hope you are right.

Tajh Boyd sends his regards! Do you have any idea what our offense would have looked like with him instead of what we actually had?

Ya mean Boyd with Kevin Revis, JerQuari Schofield, Aubrey Phillips & Antonio Foster blocking...Toney Williams, Jarvis Giles & David Oku running...and Zach Rogers & Damien Thigpen receiving? Yeah, I have a pretty good idea of how that would've turned out, and their defensive counterparts were even worse.

It had been 10 years since 98. Sure we made the occasional trip to Atlanta. 2004 was probably one of Fulmers best coaching jobs without Cut. It just wasn’t there anymore in 08. It was very sad, and very needlessly prolonged. I wish he’d have walked away in 2004 on a bright spot, but he didn’t. I think the Alabama game sealed his fate in 08. 30,000 bammers singing rammer jammer inside Neyland Stadium had folks furious. I like the guy, but all the revisionist history that goes on here is just wrong.

:thud: based on historical facts.

Ya mean Boyd with Kevin Revis, JerQuari Schofield, Aubrey Phillips & Antonio Foster blocking...Toney Williams, Jarvis Giles & David Oku running...and Zach Rogers & Damien Thigpen receiving? Yeah, I have a pretty good idea of how that would've turned out, and their defensive counterparts were even worse.

Uh, we had Crompton instead.

Reactions: 1 person
Sadly, it is starting to appear that nobody good wants the Tennessee job. I am also prepared to be underwhelmed and I will be so pissed off that we passed on Leach to hire some coordinator that has proven nothing.

Reactions: 6 people
Sadly, it is starting to appear that nobody good wants the Tennessee job. I am also prepared to be underwhelmed and I will be so pissed off that we passed on Leach to hire some coordinator that has proven nothing.
I think a lot of people will feel that way.

Although Leach would be "fun", he's a bad fit here and, more importantly, we will not win championships with him so we dodged a bullet.

I think it will be either Morris, Pruitt, or Venables. I'm good will all three but would rather have one of the DCs.

Hey I like Leach......but what would be better for Tennessee and for the long haul.......Leach or Miles & Martin?

Miles = good recruiting, and a hard core D
Martin = GREAT recruiting and a good spread/pro offense (Martin's O uses the best of both worlds. They use a TE at the line, two backs, lots of running and down field passing......with a zone read system)

Not sure how 2 of the hottest DCs in the country is a underwhelming hire? some people in this fanbase never seize to amaze me.

Reactions: 3 people
Not sure how 2 of the hottest DCs in the country is a underwhelming hire? some people in this fanbase never seize to amaze me.

Agree 100%. Our best chances of winning championships is with Pruitt or Venables. 3 of the 4 HCs in the playoff are at their first HC job. I'd rather take a chance on a hot DC then what is below:

Leach = terrible fit, won't win titles here. Cool guy though

Miles & Tee = short term answer. Tee isn't even in the discussion if not for him playing here.

Reactions: 2 people
If Petersen is willing to sit down and entertain the notion, you throw the bank at him until he says yes.

throwing-money-away.gif

Agree 100%. Our best chances of winning championships is with Pruitt or Venables. 3 of the 4 HCs in the playoff are at their first HC job. I'd rather take a chance on a hot DC then what is below:

Leach = terrible fit, won't win titles here. Cool guy though

Miles & Tee = short term answer. Tee isn't even in the discussion if not for him playing here.

No.......really? I get maybe he needs more exp before the HC......but wouldn't that be the reason if it were Les HC & Tee OC?

Tee Martin is one of the best recruiters in the nation. He has the 15th ranked total O in the nation, Tee want's to be here, and could be the coach for a very long time.......not to mention the receivers he has sent to the NFL. Not sure why so many people don't want him......while most former players & many current players think he would be great and want him......also several coaches think Tee Martin is ready.

Also many coaches would be the "short term" answer.......but Les & Tee would certainly be the long term answer.

Last edited:
One thing is for sure, it seems as if coach Fulmer is being extremely thorugh in this search, interviewing coaches from several different places and points in their careers. I trust that coach Fulmer will make the best possible hire for Tennessee. At least more trust than I had in our last 3 AD's.

No.......really? I get maybe he needs more exp before the HC......but wouldn't that be the reason if it were Les HC & Tee OC?

Tee Martin is one of the best recruiters in the nation. He has the 15th ranked total O in the nation, Tee want's to be here, and could be the coach for a very long time.......not to mention the receivers he has sent to the NFL. Not sure why so many people don't want him......while most former players & many current players think he would be great and want him......also several coaches think Tee Martin is ready.

Also many coaches would be the "short term" answer.......but Les & Tee would certainly be the long term answer.

I like Tee as much as the next guy but getting Les and having Tee as OC/coach in waiting is not my favorite plan. The CIW plan rarely works.

My ideal scenario is Pruitt or Venables as HC with Tee as OC.

Although Leach would be "fun", he's a bad fit here and, more importantly, we will not win championships with him so we dodged a bullet.

I'm not so sure about all of that.

First - He's somewhere between mildly and extremely eccentric. Weird, even. But aren't we all?! Just win, baby! All the other stuff will take care of itself.

Secondly - What wins championships? Defense?
I'll let you in a little secret - scoring more than the other team wins championships. If we could steal a reputable, SEC caliber DC for the right amount from another team to compliment Leach's offense, yeah, there would be championships.

Reactions: 1 person
Out of all the coaches still on the board (as in one's who haven't publicly said no), here's my list from most desirable to least desirable...

Head Coaches

1. Chris Peterson
2. David Shaw
3. Mike Leach
4. Doug Marrone (NFL)
5. Les Miles
6. Chad Morris

Coordinators

1. Brent Venables
2. Jeremy Pruitt
3. Tee Martin
4. Kevin Steele