Per Brice

Petersen at Tennessee would likely yield similar results to Saban at Alabama. They were 2-6 in SEC games the year before hiring Saban and then won the national championship 3 years later. Petersen took Boise State and Washington to BCS bowl and CFP games, so there's no reason to think he wouldn't do the same at UT.

Reactions: 3 people
Peterson is a great choice but Jeremy Pruitt is too if we have to go a coordinator role. He has been a National Championship DC at FSU, the improved UGA defense before going back to Bama where he had been DB coach to take over as DC. In playoffs last year and this year too. He is way better than any other coordinator we are considering besides Venables.

2008 class was ranked in the 30's. 2006 class was in the 20's.

He's talking about the 2009 class. Fulmer had both Tajh Boyd and Bryce Petty committed.

2008 class was bad because Cutcliffe, Roper and Luke went to Duke.

2006 class was bad because Sanders and Washington were fired.

Oh lord everybody is gonna freak out now that he said he will interview Petersen...We have a better chance of seeing a living dinosaur than landing Petersen...He is a west coast guy with ties to the place...He's not coming to UT..He WILL however get a nice raise due to the interest of UT...Good for him he deserves it.

An aligator, crocodile, turtle...all living dinos

Reactions: 1 person
Now that we have a good guy running the search we have a real shot at Petersen.

I'm not convinced he's a good guy! The Football Scoop report also revealed that Fulmer may be telling potential coaches that he plans to be heavily involved in the football program as the athletics director at Tennessee. Is this good? Maybe for some coaches and I bet it won't be for others. In other words, he doesn't trust or have faith in anyone. If so, who in the hell would want this job? The only person that may even consider a position with TN will not be a Tier 1 Head Coach. Looks to me as if he wants Tee Martin to be HC or someone he can tell what to do and when to do it. No good hiring will come from this attitude.

I'm not convinced he's a good guy! The Football Scoop report also revealed that Fulmer may be telling potential coaches that he plans to be heavily involved in the football program as the athletics director at Tennessee. Is this good? Maybe for some coaches and I bet it won't be for others. In other words, he doesn't trust or have faith in anyone. If so, who in the hell would want this job? The only person that may even consider a position with TN will not be a Tier 1 Head Coach. Looks to me as if he wants Tee Martin to be HC or someone he can tell what to do and when to do it. No good hiring will come from this attitude.

I am starting to get a little concerned too. I expected new names to emerge in the search, but it is not getting any better. I am preparing myself for a very underwhelming hire. And I am going to be pissed off that we passed on Leach and didn't at least renegotiate with Brohm. Leach and Brohm are far better options than Morris, Steele, and Venables.

Tee Martin- Offensive coordinator
recruiter of the year award

Fulmer interviewing defensive coordinators for head coach.

Venables-Clemson-recruiter of the year
Pruitt-Alabama-recruiter of the year
Mel Tucker-Georgia
Kevin Steele-Auburn-recruiter of the year

Venables, Pruitt, Tucker, and Steele have all coached on a National Championship team.

Last edited:
I don’t think Peterson would ever come to Tennessee based on what he’s said in the past. He’s a Scientologist and afraid he would never be accepted in the south. He’s probably correct...

Phillip had the number one or two rated class ready to roll into Knoxville when he got canned.

Exactly! He had a top 5 class and had played in the SEC Championship game the year prior. Firing him was short-sighted and ridiculous. The AD thought Kiffin was going to be a long-term answer for a short-term issue. We have witnessed how that worked out!

If Petersen is willing to sit down and entertain the notion, you throw the bank at him until he says yes.

I don’t think Peterson would ever come to Tennessee based on what he’s said in the past. He’s a Scientologist and afraid he would never be accepted in the south. He’s probably correct...

Peterson might be but Petersen is catholic.

Reactions: 2 people
Exactly! He had a top 5 class and had played in the SEC Championship game the year prior. Firing him was short-sighted and ridiculous. The AD thought Kiffin was going to be a long-term answer for a short-term issue. We have witnessed how that worked out!

No it wasn’t, he was rightly fired. It was beyond clear that Fulmer wasn’t capable anymore without Cutcliffe. The problem arose in Hamilton’s actions in replacing Fulmer. Gary Patterson and Mike Leach were right there for the taking and Hamilton chose Kiffin. The rest is history.

No it wasn’t, he was rightly fired. It was beyond clear that Fulmer wasn’t capable anymore without Cutcliffe. The problem arose in Hamilton’s actions in replacing Fulmer. Gary Patterson and Mike Leach were right there for the taking and Hamilton chose Kiffin. The rest is history.

You are definitely entitled to your opinion.

Opinions vary.

Does anyone really think Petersen would even entretain the idea of coaching at Tennessee? I dont. I think we have a much better shot at landing Gruden. And we have about a .000001% of landing Gruden.

VN Store

Back