Penny Hardaway to Memphis with Larry Brown??

It’s a good hire for them. He will recruit very well as he already has great ties to the HS programs.

Finch was no moron, but he did have to contend with D. Kirk's mess when he first became coach. Finch did just fine recruiting, having grabbed Penny, as well as Elliot Perry and Lorezen Wright. He had 7 20+ win seasons, 6 NCAA appearances, and elite 8 and sweet 16 appearances during a 4 year period. He left as the winningest coach of all time at Memphis.

He wasn't a slouch of a player either. Left as all time leading scorer at Memphis and lost in the finals against Wooden's UCLA.

Yes, Memphis is currently a recruiting hotbed, but no more so than some other similar cities like Louisville. Penny will lock this city down for sure, but as Calipari proved (Rose, CDR, Evans, etc), you gotta also have some outside talent to take it to the next step to compete nationally.

Right now, I think most fans would take the results that Finch had as a coach. An EE and a SS. Only other coach to do it in the last 30 years is Calipari.

So now that he is a college coach. What will the NCAA do about Team Penny. Will a college coach be allowed to have his own AAU program?

So now that he is a college coach. What will the NCAA do about Team Penny. Will a college coach be allowed to have his own AAU program?

He addressed this. Team Penny was originally named something else- I think Bluff City All Stars. It was run by someone else. They asked Penny to be involved to get more exposure, but it was still run by the other person. It will just revert back to its original name.

I originally felt this hire was doomed for mediocrity, not great nor horrible, just somewhere stuck right around average. Basically a continuance of results Memphis fans have grown accustomed to experiencing over these past 4-5 years.

Now after further thought, I've realized that Penny will no doubt kill it on the recruiting end. He's got a Top 20 class yearly if he just signs the local city talent alone. Even if he's a below average X's & O's floor coach, he can simply out talent the American Conference alone. Memphis's only real competition that they will steadily face yearly is Cincy & Wichita State. Maybe Coach Hurely get's UCONN back into the picture rather soon as well.

I'm not saying it will happen, but if Penny is only even a slightly above average X's & O's game day coach, combined with a high level of recruiting success, then he could create something special.

Coach Cal proved you can win big at Memphis, & position the program to accomplish every coaches ultimate goal, a National Championship. I can't believe I'm actually fixing to say this, but Memphis is just about as dang close to being a 'Sleeping Giant' as possible. And I'm sure a ton of people would definitely consider them to be that exact very thing, not just close to being one.

Last edited:
Most ex NBAers turn out to be terrible college coaches

I hope Penny can buck the trend

VN Store

Back