Penny Hardaway to Memphis with Larry Brown??

He and Grant Hill damn what could have been?

My buddies dad is the head of orthopedics of Duke hospital. He did everything he could to help Grant’s ankle, but it was just too messed up. Grant Hill was a Hall of Famer if he didn’t have those issues. Grant Hill was a great basketball player, but he’s an even better guy. First class all the way.

Last edited:
My buddies dad is the head of pediatrics of Duke hospital. He did everything he could to help Grant’s ankle, but it was just too messed up. Grant Hill was a Hall of Famer if he didn’t have those issues. Grant Hill was a great basketball player, but he’s an even better guy. First class all the way.

I always liked Hill, heck of a player.

Being a Duke fan, he’s my all time favorite. I loved how he played. Ironically, Duke beat Purdue and “Big Dog” Glenn Robinson in TBA to go to the Final 4 in 1994.

He had a smoothness about his game imo, though I wasn’t a duke fan, he was fun to watch.

He had a smoothness about his game imo, though I wasn’t a duke fan, he was fun to watch.

I agree. His game was just smooth. He seemed to never change pace. He always seemed to glide on the court. He was the always the team player. Bobby Hurley breaks his foot, he goes to LSU and plays point guard and beats Shaq . That guy wasn't shakeable. He just balled out. Still pissed he broke his tailbone on the opening tip in the 94 title game versus Arkansas.

Reactions: 1 person
Didn’t Memphis try this with Larry Finch, another local legend? And how did that work out?

Finch was a moron...and was tied up in the D. Kirk crap. He lost the Memphis HS players like Pastner and Tubby.

If Penny can just get local kids...UM is a top 15 team every year.

Awesome to see Penny get this job

I remember seeing a little video about how he got into high school coaching. I bet his friend that passed away is smiling down. Pretty sure him getting sick and then asking Penny to step in is a big reason why he got into coaching

Also I’m pretty sure he’s gonna do very well in recruiting

Last edited:
NIT automatic bids were hard to come by this year. Too many season conference champs lost their tournament

I agree. His game was just smooth. He seemed to never change pace. He always seemed to glide on the court. He was the always the team player. Bobby Hurley breaks his foot, he goes to LSU and plays point guard and beats Shaq . That guy wasn't shakeable. He just balled out. Still pissed he broke his tailbone on the opening tip in the 94 title game versus Arkansas.

I could have been a fan back then if it wasn't for Laetner.

Hated that guy.

He made me a UNLV fan.

Congrats to new Memphis Head Coach Penny Hardaway and his bench coach Lil' Penny.

xosqmgra4herzqqtxv7h.jpg

Finch was a moron...and was tied up in the D. Kirk crap. He lost the Memphis HS players like Pastner and Tubby.

If Penny can just get local kids...UM is a top 15 team every year.

Finch was no moron, but he did have to contend with D. Kirk's mess when he first became coach. Finch did just fine recruiting, having grabbed Penny, as well as Elliot Perry and Lorezen Wright. He had 7 20+ win seasons, 6 NCAA appearances, and elite 8 and sweet 16 appearances during a 4 year period. He left as the winningest coach of all time at Memphis.

He wasn't a slouch of a player either. Left as all time leading scorer at Memphis and lost in the finals against Wooden's UCLA.

Yes, Memphis is currently a recruiting hotbed, but no more so than some other similar cities like Louisville. Penny will lock this city down for sure, but as Calipari proved (Rose, CDR, Evans, etc), you gotta also have some outside talent to take it to the next step to compete nationally.

Just a guess, but I don't see this helping Memphis at all. They're desperate

Back in the day, Memphis was loaded with talent and were a contender with only kids out of Memphis (look at the mid 80's roster). Look around the country at rosters with Memphis kids today. If Penny can get just 3 or 4 of the best local kids each year, UM will be a fixture in the top 15! Not a desperate move. A genius move. Will help recruiting and tix sales day 1. The city of Memphis has one great thing...HS basketball.

VN Store

Back