Penn State Game Recap

I think you all are WAY off with negatively assessing Carter's talents. Let's look at the facts.

Andraya Carter Bio - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

Offensively she shoots career 36.4% for 3 pointers. I'll take anything over 30% and anything over 36% is very nice. She only turns the ball over 1.4 times per game and has 2.2 assists per game PLUS close to 3 rebounds per game and I think she's the best leaper (vertical jump inches) on the team even though she is short in stature. My only criticism of her offensively is that she doesn't shoot or look to shoot enough. She averages 7.1 points per game and I'd like to see her averaging at least 10.

Defensively, she is a steal machine. She averages two steals per game which more than makes up for her 1.4 turnovers per game. And, she LOOKS very quick, fast, and athletic on defense. Last season she even averaged a blocked shot every 2 games.

Her lack of offense is most everybody's criticism. Nobody disagrees with that. The offense as a whole lacked balance last season. The only person that could shoot halfway decent from outside was Massengale. That has to change for this team to compete for a championship. Carter's percentage is nice but nothing special and what does it matter if she won't shoot? She took one shot - ONE - in the last game.

As for her steals and lack of turnovers, those are definitely plusses. But her on-the-ball defense is average at best.

Her fantastic athleticism is irrelevant if she is unable to affect the outcome of a game. And against quality opponents at tournament time, the LV's are coming up short. The guard play, and Carter is a starter at guard, is a major reason why.

Reactions: 2 people
Dunbar had 0 rebounds 0 steals 3 points in 9 minutes of play. That will not get you playing time anywhere unless your name is Andraya Carter.... :)

She passes the ball so well. But if she is in with 1st team they largely ignore her.

So true Jeff.....Carter doesn't attempt to make a shot or put herself in position to take a shot....She floats around dribbling and passing the ball....Soon a smart coach will tell her players to leave her alone and play 5 on 4...

She has great elevation when she does shoot.....If she could ever become a shooter...look out.

Last edited:
Penn State is a good team. The great thing about the Penn State game, its a reality check. I rather have a win, cos only three players came to play last night. Its still very early in the season and less than 80 minutes of basketball has been played, and I will not make an assumption, that the display against Penn State will be the norm for anyone player, other than Russell.

We are going to be a really good team and its going to take time, as long as we figure out a way to win, I will be fine. We still don't know a lot about our team.

We look like a team of talent players, trying to figure it all out, the ones that have been getting the most reps in practice cos the others have been injured will be solid against inferior opponents, some combinations will get better as the season progress, and I expect Jasmine, Carter, Nia, Alexa, Dunbar and Meme to play big roles all season, especially if the officiating stays the same.

I hope we press, especially if a team has to play 8 minutes straight no time outs, we can simply wear them out..by the fourth quarter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I've watched it 5 or 6 times! KD never rebounded a thing in all of em.... :(

VN Store

Back