Penn State Game Recap

Carter LED the WHOLE sec last year in steals. What are you guys talking about???? LED as in #1. Everybody OUTSIDE the SEC said she is the defensive player of the year in the SEC. Four offensive players and one defensive player is fine with me. As someone said, she is a good reader and her steals give us extra possessions.

Carter LED the WHOLE sec last year in steals. What are you guys talking about???? LED as in #1. Everybody OUTSIDE the SEC said she is the defensive player of the year in the SEC. Four offensive players and one defensive player is fine with me. As someone said, she is a good reader and her steals give us extra possessions.

Steals are only part of defense. As has been stated, Carter can't stop dribble penetration. None of the better guards had problems scoring with Carter guarding them. She causes turnovers, but in some ways those are empty possessions because of her lack of offensive output. I don't think many non-Tennessee fans were arguing that Carter should have been SEC DPOY.

I've said from the beginning of last year that her and Jordan starting together kills the offense. I'd like to see that change this year, but so far both of them look exactly the same as last year.

Steals are only part of defense. As has been stated, Carter can't stop dribble penetration. None of the better guards had problems scoring with Carter guarding them. She causes turnovers, but in some ways those are empty possessions because of her lack of offensive output. I don't think many non-Tennessee fans were arguing that Carter should have been SEC DPOY.

I've said from the beginning of last year that her and Jordan starting together kills the offense. I'd like to see that change this year, but so far both of them look exactly the same as last year.

To say that "in some ways a steal is a lost possession" because Carter might miss a shot is stupid, sorry. Steals are a very good thing. Period. It is equally dumb to say that she doesn't stop dribble penetration. I've seen her do it many times. I'm not entirely sure why you've got such an ax to grind with Carter.

It may be true that playing Reynolds and Carter together is not wise, because neither is very consistent offensively. Neither one of them seems to have an offensive identity. I mean, Reynolds is very good at getting into the lane, but her shooting is erratic, and Carter just seems too quiet offensively. Middleton is improving but is also inconsistent.

The real problem is that we have four point guards and NO a true shooting guard (except DeShields, who can play the 2 or 3). Carter was better playing PG than she's been as a 2. Reynolds, Cooper and Middleton are all strictly 1s.

I'm not sure Warlick knows how to pair them---or whether we should even have two in at at time. In fact, if we want to play big, DeShields can play the 2 with a point guard, two forwards and Russell, especially because DeShields is good with the basketball. I would do that when Nared gets back as I think she and Graves and Russell would make a formidable front court, along with DeShields and a PG.

We certainly need a couple of guards to develop some confidence shooting the basketball, from anywhere on the court. It will be interesting to see lineups this year--starting tomorrow night against Syracuse's zone.

Reactions: 1 person
To say that "in some ways a steal is a lost possession" because Carter might miss a shot is stupid, sorry. Steals are a very good thing. Period. It is equally dumb to say that she doesn't stop dribble penetration. I've seen her do it many times. I'm not entirely sure why you've got such an ax to grind with Carter.

It may be true that playing Reynolds and Carter together is not wise, because neither is very consistent offensively. Neither one of them seems to have an offensive identity. I mean, Reynolds is very good at getting into the lane, but her shooting is erratic, and Carter just seems too quiet offensively. Middleton is improving but is also inconsistent.

The real problem is that we have four point guards and NO a true shooting guard (except DeShields, who can play the 2 or 3). Carter was better playing PG than she's been as a 2. Reynolds, Cooper and Middleton are all strictly 1s.

I'm not sure Warlick knows how to pair them---or whether we should even have two in at at time. In fact, if we want to play big, DeShields can play the 2 with a point guard, two forwards and Russell, especially because DeShields is good with the basketball. I would do that when Nared gets back as I think she and Graves and Russell would make a formidable front court, along with DeShields and a PG.

We certainly need a couple of guards to develop some confidence shooting the basketball, from anywhere on the court. It will be interesting to see lineups this year--starting tomorrow night against Syracuse's zone.

I didn't say lost possession, I said empty possession. And given Tennessee's struggles shooting the balls and turnovers, yes...I will discount the notion that getting a lot of steals is the end-all, be-all of good defense.

As for dribble penetration, there were plenty of games where an opposing guard just took it right at Carter. Kiessel and the girl from Gonzaga are two examples from the tournament. The freshman from Chattanooga. Lindsay Allen. Carter does not shut players down. If they aren't getting by her one-on-one, they have no problems losing her by setting a screen.

And no, I don't have an axe to grind with Carter. I just don't elevate her to be something she's not. Frankly, at this point, options are limited since none of the other guards or forwards on the bench are likely to provide anything better.

Ideally, it would be nice to see a starting lineup of Cooper, Deshields, Nared, Graves and Russell. Nared has her issues last year as well, but she doesn't play tentatively and that's a huge plus.

Holly's constant substitutions will be the main reason for her early retirement. She's more interested in keeping certain players happy than in building a cohesive, smooth-playing team. You can't build chemistry when players are constantly shuffled in and out. I don't get it.

Carter and Jones are total offensive liabilities, and I honestly don't see them making up for the porous shooting and turnover-itis with stellar defense. Jones is a disaster when she starts to dribble. She learned nothing during her redshirt season, unfortunately.

After two games the starting lineup and most floor time should go to the following LVs:

Cooper
DeShields
Russell
Dunbar (her offensive skills far outweigh her defensive indifference)
Bash

This lineup consists of four 6-foot+ players and a pure point guard. Reynolds can spell Te'a and Nared, Middleton and possibly Jackson should be part of the mix. When Russell needs a breather we should go with small ball, letting Diamond take over the game.

Once Diamond is in game shape, let her control the action much like Stewart does for UConn. DeShields is a hybrid who can play every position but center. Let her be the star she is, Holly!

Carter, Jones and Moore should only see mop-up duty. They are too unreliable, inconsistent and have low basketball IQ.

Middleton can help break zones when she's shooting well. Usually if she misses the first shot or two, she's done for the evening. Her hustle is admirable, but her handle and passing are scary to watch.

I'm praying Meme can be our defensive stopper, with decent (non harmful) offense.

Holly, please settle on seven or eight ladies for most of the action. And let Te'a, Diamond, Mercedes and Bash shine! The Te'a-Diamond tandem can be magic once they are at full throttle physically.

Go LVs!

Holly's constant substitutions will be the main reason for her early retirement. She's more interested in keeping certain players happy than in building a cohesive, smooth-playing team. You can't build chemistry when players are constantly shuffled in and out. I don't get it.

Carter and Jones are total offensive liabilities, and I honestly don't see them making up for the porous shooting and turnover-itis with stellar defense. Jones is a disaster when she starts to dribble. She learned nothing during her redshirt season, unfortunately.

After two games the starting lineup and most floor time should go to the following LVs:

Cooper
DeShields
Russell
Bash

This lineup consists of four 6-foot+ players and a pure point guard. Reynolds can spell Te'a and Nared, Middleton and possibly Jackson should be part of the mix. When Russell needs a breather we should go with small ball, letting Diamond take over the game.

Once Diamond is in game shape, let her control the action much like Stewart does for UConn. DeShields is a hybrid who can play every position but center. Let her be the star she is, Holly!

Carter, Jones and Moore should only see mop-up duty. They are too unreliable, inconsistent and have low basketball IQ.

Middleton can help break zones when she's shooting well. Usually if she misses the first shot or two, she's done for the evening. Her hustle is admirable, but her handle and passing are scary to watch.

I'm praying Meme can be our defensive stopper, with decent (non harmful) offense.

Holly, please settle on seven or eight ladies for most of the action. And let Te'a, Diamond, Mercedes and Bash shine! The Te'a-Diamond tandem can be magic once they are at full throttle physically.

Go LVs!

They need to develop Jones. She's likely the starting PF for next year. If they are going to put her on the court, have her at the high or low post. It is crazy to put her at the wing when there are so many better options on the team to play there.

I like Alexa. i think she has good court vision and basketball IQ, but she needs start making some shots. If she can do that consistently, she would make an attractive option at either guard spot. Her, Carter, Reynolds and Jackson need to go all Hunger Games, and hopefully one of them emerges as a dependable 2nd guard.

AM shot fairly well in the first game, didn't she? Why are ya'll willing the throw girls off the bus for one bad outing? Did you not ever have a less than super day?

The team that played last night doesn't win against SC, ND, OSU, Stanford, and maybe Texas. It still beats everyone else on the schedule.

Good news is it's quite early, and the team can only get better.

It is pointless freaking out about the team this early. UCONN is a machine and the class of women's basketball. I think we win the SEC though. Big Ten basketball is getting good though.

Who is "we"....you're a boneyarder that likes to mosey over here from time to time then run back to the boneyard and talk bad about Tenn!

I have never made any bad comments about TENN. I like to talk about WBB with knowledgeable people. Just put me on ignore if reading something from a UCONN fan offends you.

I have no idee what yewr talking bout, elviree.

About understanding you or that you're old, gule? The understanding part is from the other thread. The old? Well...can I say, "I was just trying to get a rise out of ya.":)?

And I did know to whom you spoke:p. May I call you ghoul now?

And you're trying to stir the pot tonight:crazy:. Think you will succeed?:ermm:

Last edited:
Reno Tony is not a bad guy...Don't be afraid of a poster from another team posting here guys. I have read the BY several times and most don't attack our posters there. There is sometimes a clown or two that always feels superior to God, but RT is not one of em.

Now back to our game....Jones is a mess with the ball....Her only position should be the 4 spot. She is a terrible dribbler...We were due for a little adjustment after a couple 100+ outings....When Diamond has her sea legs, this team will be a tiger, until then, still a work in progress.

they don't attack you there if you kiss the ground that Geno floats above and kiss UConn's butt 24/7. otherwise, they treat you like a rabid dog and ban you for eternity. The-boneyard is a cesspool of negative bandwagon humpers.

imvvho.

ps the summit is just like the boneyard but in another universe. They can't handle opposite opinions.

Cooper
DeShields
Russell
Bash

Go LVs!

I would go with Nared if she was healthy over Dunbar only because she gets on the glass and also can shoot the 3, But i do agree with you about Jones say no more.

Dunbar had 0 rebounds 0 steals 3 points in 9 minutes of play. That will not get you playing time anywhere unless your name is Andraya Carter.... :)

I agree Carter mostly floats around the perimeter and does very little...It almost appears she hides so she won't have to shoot. She is as cute as can be, but I'd take an ugly child that could shoot the ball over her.

Last edited:
If your name is Jasmine Jones you can have a stat line of 3 for 11 shooting, 3 fouls, 0 assists, 3 turnovers, and 5 rebounds (all off your own missed shot) and you'll still get playing time.

Quick quiz:
Who had the highest shot-per-minute ratio?
Who had the lowest shot-per-minute ratio?

I think you all are WAY off with negatively assessing Carter's talents. Let's look at the facts.

http://www.utsports.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/andraya_carter_822050.html

Offensively she shoots career 36.4% for 3 pointers. I'll take anything over 30% and anything over 36% is very nice. She only turns the ball over 1.4 times per game and has 2.2 assists per game PLUS close to 3 rebounds per game and I think she's the best leaper (vertical jump inches) on the team even though she is short in stature. My only criticism of her offensively is that she doesn't shoot or look to shoot enough. She averages 7.1 points per game and I'd like to see her averaging at least 10.

Defensively, she is a steal machine. She averages two steals per game which more than makes up for her 1.4 turnovers per game. And, she LOOKS very quick, fast, and athletic on defense. Last season she even averaged a blocked shot every 2 games.

Reactions: 3 people
I agree Carter mostly floats around the perimeter and does very little...It almost appears she hides so she won't have to shoot. She is as cute as can be, but I'd take an ugly child that could shoot the ball over her.

To be fair i will lay much of the blame on Holly, Carter has been with the Vols for 3 years ? now. And the coaching staff has yet to put her in a position where she needs to work on her offensive game. They spent more time working on her defense that i think it disrupted her ability to shoot the ball. Don`t get me wrong she has good looking jump shot and can jump out of the gym.

VN Store

Back