Pearl a possible candidate for the Indiana job???

HoosierVol4

With Mike Davis resigning today it is a very good possibility that IU's search for a new coach will include Bruce Pearl. He is arguably the hottest coach in college basketball right now, and at the end of the season people are going to make a run at him whether that be colleges or possibly an NBA job. I think the latter will probably come after a few more good years.

Pearl has state ties as he coached the University of Southern Indiana to a DII title, and a couple other DII championship appearances. The whole IU thing is just my speculation and I have no inside information. I actually think IU will go with Steve Alford but they will talk to Pearl. Again just an opinion.

I don't see any chance of that happening. I think he wants to build UT to the point of someone like IU.

But wouldn't Illini fans love to have to play him every year? :D

I think Alford is the guy for IU....and not because i'm scared of losing BP...but it's been widely reported that he wants to go back to IU, and IU is supposedly high on him.

Plus, i think BP is pretty happy where he is....i look for MH to "take care" of BP once the season is done...

Not a bad idea at all to go ahead and lock him up early so he knows he's secure and paid. Villanova just did that with Jay Wright and this helps recruiting alot. I actually prefer Alford over Pearl just because I'd like to see how far Pearl can take this thing at UT and Alford returning home would help keep state (IN) talent inside the state (May, Gardner, Oden, Conley, Gordon, etc.-Basically all the guys Davis didn't get).

I like Pearl and LOVE UT so I don't want to see them seperate, but I still think IU will at least talk to him. However I never said he would accept which I don't think he will. The rumors will fly over this coaching position.

Pearl has stated that he was staying here. He has already told the parents of Crews and Chisholm that he was staying. Plus he is getting a big raise and long term contract.

I will be very surprised if Indiana doesnt contact him and try to make him an offer he cant refuse, similar to the offer Florida made Bob Stoops a few years ago when Spurrier left.

(oklavol @ Feb 16 said:
I will be very surprised if Indiana doesnt contact him and try to make him an offer he cant refuse, similar to the offer Florida made Bob Stoops a few years ago when Spurrier left.
An offer Stoops in fact DID refuse.

Not going to happen!

Pearl has stated he is not going anywhere.

He will not even talk to Indiana

Not to argue that Pearl will leave because once again I think he's staying put, but please don't act like since a college coach tells recruits or the fan base that he is staying means that he won't leave for a lucrative deal.

Again I don't think IU can swoop him off his feet with a deal and I think they will concentrate on Alford, but a coach simply saying "I'm staying" means absolutely nothing until it is put to the test.

The basic point of this post was to let you guys know that by having a super coach on the rise you are going to constantly hear rumors such as Pearl to be considered for IU job. That's all.

I think the reality is, Pearl is the hottest coach in the country right now, and UT has had a previous coach (O'neill) leave the basketball program for what he thought were greener pastures.

(oklavol @ Feb 16 said:
I think the reality is, Pearl is the hottest coach in the country right now, and UT has had a previous coach (O'neill) leave the basketball program for what he thought were greener pastures.
Kevin didn't think Northwesten was a better job than UT, he had simply had enough of Doug Dickey.

I've lived in Indiana my whole life and followed their basketball program since I was born. I also graduated from IU in 2004, and as far as everybody in Indiana wanting Alford as the next head coach in my estimate it is about 50/50. People love him from his playing days but are quick to point out that he has only taken Iowa to the big dance twice in 7 years (?). And to keep this Tennessee related Pearl's name has come up in alot of fan discussion.

It is Alford's to turn down though. My opinion.

(hatvol96 @ Feb 16 said:
Kevin didn't think Northwesten was a better job than UT, he had simply had enough of Doug Dickey.

Thats a sad commentary on our athletic director at the time.

Yeah, I think it is no coincidence that our basketball program is taking off now that the old fart is gone.

Maybe his protege up at Kentucky is working on killing basketball there.

0% chance of Pearl going to another college school. His style doesnt fit the NBA style of play at all so I dont see him ever going there.

Pearl would turn out like Pitino with the Celtics and Spurrier with the Redskins. Unless he just wants the big dollars, I think he will stay.

I don't have a clue what is going to happen but it doesn't make much sense to me to talk about character and loyalty in this situation. It's a job. Was Pearl not under contract at S. Indiana and Wisconsin-Milwaukee when he left?

I agree with HoosierVol in that what is Pearl supposed to say? Can you imagine him telling recruits, players, and fans during the middle of a season that he was going to entertain all offers and the highest bidder will get his services next year? Or course not.

Pearl may very well stay at Tennessee forever, but you have to rember that he has no ties here aside from this past season. He has coached a lot of years in Iowa, Indiana and BC. Those places are surely to be "home" in his mind much more than here.

I don't think Bruce Pearl is going anywhere, but I'll bet if someone is willing to throw a huge pile of cash his way, he might be willing to listen.

(vol_freak @ Feb 16 said:
I don't think Bruce Pearl is going anywhere, but I'll bet if someone is willing to throw a huge pile of cash his way, he might be willing to listen.

I know I would..

Money does talk, no doubt. I am inclined to believe Coach Pearl stays.Why?

1. Has great players returning next season
2.Too much pressure to win at Indiana
3.He could have a few horrible seasons here and still (after how he has lifted our program out of the doldrums this season) be employed here.

(vol_freak @ Feb 16 said:
I don't have a clue what is going to happen but it doesn't make much sense to me to talk about character and loyalty in this situation. It's a job. Was Pearl not under contract at S. Indiana and Wisconsin-Milwaukee when he left?

I agree with HoosierVol in that what is Pearl supposed to say? Can you imagine him telling recruits, players, and fans during the middle of a season that he was going to entertain all offers and the highest bidder will get his services next year? Or course not.

Pearl may very well stay at Tennessee forever, but you have to rember that he has no ties here aside from this past season. He has coached a lot of years in Iowa, Indiana and BC. Those places are surely to be "home" in his mind much more than here.

Good point, as Pearl has been to quite a few schools so far. And Indiana? Well, that's like being asked to coach at UCLA, or Kentucky, places with huge tradition. One thing I haven't seen any comment on is whether Pearl has any particular connection somewhere, like Spurrier had with UF. You know, something that when the money got so high he could say meant more to him that another extra few hundred k. Pearl got an historical link to UT of any kind?

(HoosierVol4 @ Feb 16 said:
Not to argue that Pearl will leave because once again I think he's staying put, but please don't act like since a college coach tells recruits or the fan base that he is staying means that he won't leave for a lucrative deal.

Absolutely. A coach MUST be adamant that he is staying or he can't achieve what he/she needs to. Unfortunately, that's how the system works. As soon as a coach waffles on committment, he's screwed.

(utfantilidie @ Feb 16 said:
Money does talk, no doubt. I am inclined to believe Coach Pearl stays.Why?

1. Has great players returning next season
2.Too much pressure to win at Indiana
3.He could have a few horrible seasons here and still (after how he has lifted our program out of the doldrums this season) be employed here.
With a normal coach, I might tend to agree. However, with Pearl, he has no thoughts of mediocrity or subpar seasons. This guy is high energy and he wants to be somewhere he can win championships. Not to mention you don't know that he could have a few subpar seasons here and get away with it. Pearl said it best himself - When you are winning they are afraid you are going to leave and when you are losing they can't wait to get rid of you.

VN Store

Back