Pearl a possible candidate for the Indiana job???

(oklavol @ Feb 17 said:
Kevin O'neill was head coach of the Toronto Raptors last season. He only coached at Northwestern 3 seasons before going to the NBA.

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/kevin_oneill/?nav=page
I know very well that Kevin coached the Raptors. It was two seasons ago, but who's counting? He's now an assistant with the Pacers. You also forgot his stint with the Knicks as an assitant, which came immediately after he left Nwstrn. I was referring to his exit from Tennessee. Oh, and Kevin also had a stint as an assistant with the Pistons when he took the Raptors job.

(hatvol96 @ Feb 17 said:
I know very well that Kevin coached the Raptors. It was two seasons ago, but who's counting? He's now an assistant with the Pacers. You also forgot his stint with the Knicks as an assitant, which came immediately after he left Nwstrn. I was referring to his exit from Tennessee. Oh, and Kevin also had a stint as an assistant with the Pistons when he took the Raptors job.

The point was Pearl might leave to go coach in the NBA the same as Pitino and Oneill did. The fact that O'neill left to go coach at Northwestern after leaving UT is irrevelant.

(hatvol96 @ Feb 17 said:
I was at the Final Four in New Orleans just prior to Williams leaving for UNC. I didn't meet anyone who thought Williams wasn't leaving.

It surprised me, I guess my opinion doesn't count though.

One one hand, you state its no surprise Roy Williams leaves to go to North Carolina, while in the same thread you act like its no surprise Bob Stoops turns down the Florida job to stay at Oklahoma. Your not exactly making the water any clearer.

(hatvol96 @ Feb 17 said:
I could be wrong, but wasn't O'Neils problem with his exit due to a personality conflict with Dickey? A lot of folks would say they are glad Doug Dickey is gone. I'll reiterate Coach Pearl has a perfect gig building the Volunteer program into a nationally dominant force and he realizes that...

(oklavol @ Feb 17 said:

One one hand, you state its no surprise Roy Williams leaves to go to North Carolina, while in the same thread you act like its no surprise Bob Stoops turns down the Florida job to stay at Oklahoma. Your not exactly making the water any clearer.
Stoops is an Iowa grad who grew up in Ohio, coached at Iowa and K-State before going to Florida. I don't think that compares to Roy Williams spending the vast majority of his life in North Carolina before taking the Kansas job. Add that to the fact Williams considers El Deano the father he never really had and it does make me wonder why anyone looking at the situation objectively could have thought Williams would pass up UNC for a second time.

(oklavol @ Feb 17 said:

Actually, I have great respect for your opinion. What I was taking issue with was your assessment that somehow Roy Williams taking the Carolina job was a shocker. Everyone in the New Orleans Hyatt, the Kansas team hotel, considered it a foregone conclusion. They were busy debating whether they should hire Bill Self or Tom Crean.

(hatvol96 @ Feb 17 said:
Stoops is an Iowa grad who grew up in Ohio, coached at Iowa and K-State before going to Florida. I don't think that compares to Roy Williams spending the vast majority of his life in North Carolina before taking the Kansas job. Add that to the fact Williams considers El Deano the father he never really had and it does make me wonder why anyone looking at the situation objectively could have thought Williams would pass up UNC for a second time.

According to your logic then, Pearl being a Boston native and a graduate of Boston College, would want to take the Boston College coaching job if it was available since he has "spent the vast majority of his life" in Boston. Well your arguement and logic are flawed IMO.

(oklavol @ Feb 17 said:
According to your logic then, Pearl being a Boston native and a graduate of Boston College, would want to take the Boston College coaching job if it was available since he has "spent the vast majority of his life" in Boston. Well your arguement and logic are flawed IMO.
If you read the entire thread, you will see that I, in fact, said he would be more likely to leave UT for BC than for IU. Stoops was an assistant at Florida, therefore he would naturally leave his home region to take the job? By that logic, since Bill Parcells was once an assistant at Army, we can expect him to leave the Cowboys if Bobby Ross steps down at West Point. Further, given that the Bloated Buddah of Mediocrity was once an assistant at Vandy, all we have to do is get Peabody to axe Bobby Johnson and we're rid of our collective albatross.

(hatvol96 @ Feb 17 said:
Actually, I have great respect for your opinion.

My bad, I was overreacting and was reading more into that then there was. I was getting ready to tell you to stick to reviewing Jeff Stryker films lol.

(oklavol @ Feb 17 said:
My bad, I was overreacting and was reading more into that then there was. I was getting ready to tell you to stick to reviewing Jeff Stryker films lol.
No problem. In fairness, I was fortunate to be staying in the Kansas hotel that weekend. My retrospective view is probably colored by the fact that Jayhawk fans universally expected Roy to be on the first flight to the Raleigh-Durham airport after the Syracuse game. He also came back to the hotel with Dean Smith. While Ole Chisel Nose may be a Kansas grad, I'm fairly certain he wasn't counseling Roy to stay in Lawrence.

Iowa doesn't stand a chance at Pearl.

The current AD at Iowa is the one that fired Pearl's mentor and that firing doesn't sit well at all with the group od coaches that consider Davis a mentor

NEVER & I mean NEVER don't think money doesn't talk. For those that believe IU BB wouldn't match UT (if it comes to that) don't kid yourself.

That said this may be MH's first true test. I hope we keep BP...I love his passion, energy, spunk & personality. Truly what UT BB needed!

This may not be popular, but like it or not Pearl is going to start popping up on a few radar screens. Time will tell if he really is committed to Tennessee and if we pay him enough to keep him around long term.

(GAVol @ Feb 17 said:
This may not be popular, but like it or not Pearl is going to start popping up on a few radar screens. Time will tell if he really is committed to Tennessee and if we pay him enough to keep him around long term.

Truth doesn't have to be popular GA, and you're speaking the truth.
I think he probably does move on from the Vols, but not before establishing himself firmly amongst the names of the top coaches in the country. And that will be a four or five year stretch of Vol Basketball that I plan to fully enjoy....

GO VOLS!! BEAT BAMA!!

(crazyguy @ Feb 16 said:
i didn't say anything about their tradition...i just think that the opportunities for a coach there are much more difficult than they are at tennessee...the bar for success is much higher at IU...that's all i'm saying

That's like saying that the Notre Dame job isn't all that. Dude, your dreamin'....

i think BP is the type of person that enjoys a challenge, someone with that much energy and love for Bball wouldn't take a job that he though he could just skate by in cause the expectations are low.

I also think he'd like, just as any other coach w/an ounce of competitive juice in him, to be a guy that could resurect a program like IU. YOu do that you could be a god in a town like Bloomington.

Having said all that, and you really never know til it comes down to nut cuttin time, i think BP is fine where he is. He knows that he's on the verge of possibly doing something at TN that hasn't happened, well, ever as far as i'm concerned.

Plus, this will all be nixed anyway, i think MH will make sure that he has bp rapped up for a while after this season is over....'cause for anything to happen in the first place, wouldn't UT have to give IU permission to talk to him anyway? not sure about that, but it seems right....

just relax folks....

Wow!! What a topic. The guy has even finished his 1st full season as coach and we've already freaked that he'll pack and go. I think a bunch of ya'll road tripped into Cocke County/Newport last night. "Let's see, UT gave me a D1 job, a job that every D1 program in the nation had me blackballed from because of some narc issues a few years back. Now, I know I haven't finished the season, but I did start 19-3, so I'm gonna take a job back home in the heartland, the region that blackballed me, and tell UT thanks for the opportunity."

(GVF @ Feb 17 said:
Wow!! What a topic. The guy has even finished his 1st full season as coach and we've already freaked that he'll pack and go. I think a bunch of ya'll road tripped into Cocke County/Newport last night. "Let's see, UT gave me a D1 job, a job that every D1 program in the nation had me blackballed from because of some narc issues a few years back. Now, I know I haven't finished the season, but I did start 19-3, so I'm gonna take a job back home in the heartland, the region that blackballed me, and tell UT thanks for the opportunity."

It's all part of the Vol fan "we can't be happy" campaign.

At Indiana Pearl could only ressurect and "one-up" the past...he would never be know as the father of Indiana basketball. At Tennessee, Pearl can establish his own legacy. Pearl is not a follower, he is a trailblazer and at Tennessee he has all the ingredients he needs to establish himself as a legend in the game. I predict that Pearl will become such an institution at Tennessee, that his son will be the next head basketball coach for the VOLS.

(NCGatorBait @ Feb 17 said:
Arena size has nothing to do with it...ask Dook. Coach K makes decent money! :wink2: BTW I do agree it would be more impressive to make UT a national power...but at IU he could contend for a NC.

so are you saying that pearl will be able to compete for a national title at UT?????

if so why????

VN Store

Back