Pat Forde grades coaching hires

If you pay them they will come. All big time coaches have a price. UT is always looking for the Camry when they should be at the Lexus store.

Yeah, this.

It's interesting how Arkansas (who has never even won an SEC championship) was able to hire an A-list coach, but Forde thinks TN shouldn't be able to. Maybe the difference is that Arkansas' AD made serious, big $$$, public offers to Gruden and Les Miles, while we started off with Charlie Strong?

I agree with Forde....no one really wants to hear the negative but those who are all "orange-colored glasses" are going to see nothing but sunshine and rainbows anyway. Let's be honest that we aren't the same program currently that we should be or could be...and we'll all be better off.

Uhh ... No.

Every program suffers through periods like this. Nobody is immune to it. Nobody. Alabama and Notre Dame both went through protracted periods of coaching changes and losing.

It's not "orange colored glasses". It's called confidence. UT has a proud, winning tradition. I'm not willing to roll over and play dead. I expect UT to get the best coaches and best recruits. If expectations remain high, we'll be back. We have all the ingredients to return to the top. If we act like Kentucky, though, we'll eventually turn into Kentucky.

don't be a retard.

Put oofus and doofus in charge, toss out middle of the road money and you get the backwater of the annual coaching shuffle. That's what we did and it sucks. Couch it as you please, but we did exactly that and barely beat the garbage that produced Dooley.

We offered Charlie Strong ~$4m a year and he turned us down to stay at Louisville. Every Tennessee fan needs to think long and hard about that.

Don't tell me you buy into the "Gruden was locked up!" fantasy when Hart was flying around on Jim Haslam's plane offering other coaches.

We offered Charlie Strong ~$4m a year and he turned us down to stay at Louisville. Every Tennessee fan needs to think long and hard about that.

Don't tell me you buy into the "Gruden was locked up!" fantasy when Hart was flying around on Jim Haslam's plane offering other coaches.

I realize that $4 mil is an astronomical amount of money for most people, including myself but it's not if you want an upper echelon coach. Charlie Strong turned it down for more money at Louisville.

I personally didn't think he was worth what we offered him. Bama was going through the same stuff we're going through. They got tired of the same crap we're going through and paid what was thought of at the time as ridiculous money for a coach. Question is: How long do we go before we learn from Bama's mistakes?

Am I wrong in thinking that we are similar to Michigan? We mirror each other pretty well. However, I don't remember reporters trashing Michigan for thinking they were a top program.

Below is an excerpt from Pat Forde's article on yahoo right now. I dont think it was necessary to call us delusional. I would post link but couldnt get it to work.

Tennessee: Butch Jones.

Last stop: Cincinnati, where Jones was 23-14 in three seasons riding the coattails of program builder Brian Kelly.

Butch Jones speaks during his introductory press conference as Tennessee's head coach. (AP)Why leave: Jones was going somewhere, whether it was Colorado or Tennessee – and given the straits Cincinnati now finds itself in with the implosion of the Big East, his timing was excellent. Nobody can blame him for leaving.

Grade: B-plus. Reality check for Tennessee fans who believe Butch Jones is beneath them: your program has been ranked in the AP Top 25 for two weeks in the last five years. You’re six games below .500 in that time. Tennessee has great tradition and a great following and will regain competitiveness sooner rather than later, but this belief that America’s most proven and attractive coaches are going to come running to Rocky Top is delusional. Get a grip.

Sometimes the truth hurts!! I agree with him 100%.

Ok, so basically what you're saying is Bama sucks natioanlly because they were terrible for about 10 years up until Saban?

We live in a society of instant-gratification. It's like Notre Dame; everyone said they were never getting back to their glory days, but now they're playing for the NC. What have you done for me lately... Once the Vols are winning again, all will be well in the world.

Please google and post Bama's 10-year suck span. I can't find a 5-year record from them NEARLY as bad as what we have churned out.

Forde is the guy who thought Saban would have marginal success at bammer. He said Saban should never have left LSU and would not reach the hights of success at bammer that he saw at LSU. He's an arrogant fool.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

He is exactly right. How many coaches turned down UT during the last 2 searches??

Forde and everyone agreeing with him are Morons. Alabama had been in the wilderness much longer than 5 years when they landed saban. End of discussion So shut up and merry Christmas.

Reactions: 1 person
One can grade all they want right now because it's only face value on paper. Lets talk after a few games are under CBJ belt and what we see on the field. that's where it counts.

VN Store

Back