Pat Forde grades coaching hires

That just hurt to see ark over achieved n got a better grade than us..

Hart can kiss my a$$ he suxs....lol

I'd like to know why we couldn't land Bielema but Arkansas could. He went on ESPN radio after he was hired and admitted that he had conversations with Tennessee

Reactions: 1 person
Below is an excerpt from Pat Forde's article on yahoo right now. I dont think it was necessary to call us delusional. I would post link but couldnt get it to work.

Tennessee: Butch Jones.

Last stop: Cincinnati, where Jones was 23-14 in three seasons riding the coattails of program builder Brian Kelly.

Butch Jones speaks during his introductory press conference as Tennessee's head coach. (AP)Why leave: Jones was going somewhere, whether it was Colorado or Tennessee – and given the straits Cincinnati now finds itself in with the implosion of the Big East, his timing was excellent. Nobody can blame him for leaving.

Grade: B-plus. Reality check for Tennessee fans who believe Butch Jones is beneath them: your program has been ranked in the AP Top 25 for two weeks in the last five years. YouÂ’re six games below .500 in that time. Tennessee has great tradition and a great following and will regain competitiveness sooner rather than later, but this belief that AmericaÂ’s most proven and attractive coaches are going to come running to Rocky Top is delusional. Get a grip.

He need's BUTCH slapped :)

I agree with him. Realty is a b**ch. some are able to see it and some aren't. Some accept it and try to figure the best ways to fix it, and some don't accept it and blame/bash the ones that bring it to light.

... You contradict yourself in the span of a fairly short post.

As a UT fan I wish him the best of luck. But I'm going to take it day by day and hope many learn how to simmer some of their optimism cause it's going to be interesting. Even if we have a good yr people need to understand that that doesn't mean we r back. Give me multiple consecutive yrs of success, and then it's time to talk about how good CBJ is as a coach. Right now it's just blind optimism or people wanting to be able to come back in a few yrs and say "I told you so."

Either you are taking it day by day... or you have accepted the "reality" that he's already a bad hire.

A good year right now would be pretty welcome. The drought has been long enough. All things considered a good season in '13 would be a strong indication that he's a good coach. The '12 expectations were modest for a team with CP and Hunter even before Rogers was booted.

The '12 expectations were modest for a team with CP and Hunter even before Rogers was booted.

To clarify: Are you saying that 2012 expectations for 2013 were modest, or saying that we had modest expectations going into this past season?

Pat Forde is a douche bag. I will reserve my delusional self to commenting about CBJ until after the 2013 season.

If you pay them they will come. All big time coaches have a price. UT is always looking for the Camry when they should be at the Lexus store.

Yeah, that worked real well for us with Gundy and Strong, huh?

Money does not guarantee success.

Eh... Bama wasn't so hot going into Saban. They had some decent years, but NCAA problems plus poor performance, I'd say they were in a worse position than us, of course the West was pretty weak at the time.

Pat Forde calls a fanbase "delusional." If we are in fact delusional, this will not end well for him. He's just poking the bear.

If you pay them they will come. All big time coaches have a price. UT is always looking for the Camry when they should be at the Lexus store.

I like the media onslaught by CBJ right now. He's doing things I appreciate. He seems to be the anti-Dooley which is a very good thing.

But I agree whole-heartedly with this post. I firmly believe the admin is locked into shopping at Wal-Mart when we should be shopping at Harrods.

Reactions: 2 people
I think Forde's assessment is correct. Whether you call it optimistic or delusional there is a reason fan is short for fanatic.

I like what I see from CBJ - but it is a risk. For me it's just like when CDD was hired - cross your fingers and hope for the best. First Step = Staff - Grade OK, Next Step = Signing Day

GBO !

Some people just don't get it. :banghead2:

I guess I don't. I am one of those that refuses to believe that we have to settle for up and coming coaches. I just haven't come to the realization that we truly are on the level of KY, Vandy, Ole Miss, and Miss State. Please forgive me.

NOTICE/Disclaimer: This post is is not a slam on the current head coach of the University of Tennessee. It was not intended to incite any poster to jump to the defence of said coach. It was only intended to convey my opinion that the UT administration never aims high for it's coaching hires.

I guess I don't. I am one of those that refuses to believe that we have to settle for up and coming coaches. I just haven't come to the realization that we truly are on the level of KY, Vandy, Ole Miss, and Miss State. Please forgive me.

NOTICE/Disclaimer: This post is is not a slam on the current head coach of the University of Tennessee. It was not intended to incite any poster to jump to the defence of said coach. It was only intended to convey my opinion that the UT administration never aims high for it's coaching hires.

I applaud your pride and support. However, we are not the program we used to be. Sad to say it but in the last 5 years, we are on par with the Ole Miss and Miss St of the conference. We have a disadvantage in recruiting because of lack of in-state talent. We also have financial issues right now that prevent us from going out and getting a big-name hire.

It is what it is.

ESPN insider article...

Bret Bielema to Arkansas ranks as offseason's top coaching hire - NCF - ESPN

For those that don't have insider it is an article ranking the coachign hires this offseason. Here is the list:

1. Arkansas
2. Kentucky
3. Western Kentucky
4. Auburn
5. South Florida
6. Texas Tech
7. Wisconsin
8. Cincinnati
9. Tennessee

Butch Jones (former Cincinnati head coach)
AD Dave Hart, in his first football hire at UT, aimed high -- maybe too high. However far down on the list Jones was, perhaps he's at the level Hart should have been targeting in the first place. There's a certain gamble when you've tumbled like Tennessee has. Even a truckload of cash couldn't lure Mike Gundy or Charlie Strong, or others.

Does that mean it's an abysmal hire? No, not really. In fact, it could work, but "could" is the operative word.

Jones, 44, is affable, and he's had only one losing season, his first at Cincinnati, as a head coach. The problem with all those winning seasons is that he has never coached at this level.

He's 0-5 against Top 25 teams and 14-23 versus teams with records above .500. That won't sit well with Tennessee fans who will have Derek Dooley (0-22 versus Top 25 teams, 6-33 versus those above .500) nightmares after reading those numbers. Some are already miffed that Hart hired someone who, gasp, lost to Dooley.

Jones' response this week to whether he's ready for the SEC? Players are players and coaching is coaching, he said, paraphrasing. Let's compare his thoughts now and a year from now. It might be more along the lines of "this takes time."

10. NC State
11. Colorado
12. Southern Miss
13. Purdue
14. Arkansas St.
15. California

Last edited:
I hate to hear that from Forde but........

he is probably right

don't be a retard.

Put oofus and doofus in charge, toss out middle of the road money and you get the backwater of the annual coaching shuffle. That's what we did and it sucks. Couch it as you please, but we did exactly that and barely beat the garbage that produced Dooley.

ESPN insider article...

Bret Bielema to Arkansas ranks as offseason's top coaching hire - NCF - ESPN

For those that don't have insider it is an article ranking the coachign hires this offseason. Here is the list:

1. Arkansas
2. Kentucky
3. Western Kentucky
4. Auburn
5. South Florida
6. Texas Tech
7. Wisconsin
8. Cincinnati
9. Tennessee

Butch Jones (former Cincinnati head coach)
AD Dave Hart, in his first football hire at UT, aimed high -- maybe too high. However far down on the list Jones was, perhaps he's at the level Hart should have been targeting in the first place. There's a certain gamble when you've tumbled like Tennessee has. Even a truckload of cash couldn't lure Mike Gundy or Charlie Strong, or others.

Does that mean it's an abysmal hire? No, not really. In fact, it could work, but "could" is the operative word.

Jones, 44, is affable, and he's had only one losing season, his first at Cincinnati, as a head coach. The problem with all those winning seasons is that he has never coached at this level.

He's 0-5 against Top 25 teams and 14-23 versus teams with records above .500. That won't sit well with Tennessee fans who will have Derek Dooley (0-22 versus Top 25 teams, 6-33 versus those above .500) nightmares after reading those numbers. Some are already miffed that Hart hired someone who, gasp, lost to Dooley.

Jones' response this week to whether he's ready for the SEC? Players are players and coaching is coaching, he said, paraphrasing. Let's compare his thoughts now and a year from now. It might be more along the lines of "this takes time."

10. NC State
11. Colorado
12. Southern Miss
13. Purdue
14. Arkansas St.
15. California

If those are his rankings, then he's grading on a curve.
He's also being hypocritical. He basically says UT fans shouldn't expect a top, proven coach and then apparently sets the bar very high for us when he ranks the hires. There's no reason to have KY at #2, unless you're grading on a curve and thus placing a very low value on their job. So, what would be a strikeout here is a HR at KY. If we had hired Mark Stoops, Forde would probably have us at #15.

VN Store

Back