Part of the problem on Offense

I really think that (yet another) problem is that the receivers are not getting separation and getting open looks. A quick passing game requires them to come off the line and shed pressing defenders. Even North has not been very successful at doing that.

Bottom line: the offense has multiple problems, and it's not going to be an easy fix. The OL is undoubtedly the biggest factor, but Worley isn't playing well, the RBs are banged up, and the receivers aren't helping much.
best view of CBJ's playbook strategy is Matt Opper, a northern Ohio guy who has studied CBJ and his mentor, Brian Kelly; can be found at Down The Drive, a Cincinnati Bearcats community

Here's my worthless solution. Forget the hurry up. Take every second possible every play. You don't have to sub hurry up to the ball & drain the playclock. It'll give our defense a MUCH needed break and it'll give our O-line a set time to come off the line, I'm so sick of seeing the left tackle letting the center know when to snap the ball. It's basically giving the defense a edge on when to attack.

Almost every team has the left tackle tap the center. It's how silent counts work.

Reactions: 1 person
I'd be interested to see a wildcat package with Pig, Hurd, and another RB. Nothing too crazy, but a veer play with 3 options for Pig (maybe a 4th option waggle). I think it would loosen up some of the running lanes, especially if Pig has the option to pass. I'm not saying we change our offense or acheme, just incorporate a package of plays to generate some offense.

They need to do the same thing with Worley that Kiffin did with Crompton. Just give him 1/2 the field to read, if nobody's open throw it away.

Remember how the sacks disappeared when Doofey finally got Simms out of there? Of course a QB plays a big roll.

Sane discussion in a thread about the offense.

Thread topic - I agree, not a single issue, but several issues with the QB and O-Line as the largest percentage.

CBJ offense - great link and description. Need some to that understanding on the board.

Was at the Ole Miss game. Multiple times Worley had enough time to get rid of the ball, but would not pull the trigger. Needs to start throwing people open, it is as if someone is not completely open, he will not throw the ball.

He threw to someone in double coverage (cant remember who) and they caught it but we had a wideout going right and was totally wide open. It was a sure touchdown.

Everyone in this thread seems to think Worley has just decided to drop back that far on his own. The steps are drilled into QB's so it becomes second nature and something they do without having to think. If that is truly the problem, then it comes down to how he is being coached, not Worley doing something on his own.

Honestly, I don't know as I haven't really paid attention to that and it hasn't jumped out at me during games. The key is stepping up into the pocket when you feel pressure that deep from the edge. What I've seen is he doesn't seem to have that 6th sense to feel the pressure. For example, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), that he has been blind sided and fumbled every game. We've recovered some of them, but he continually gets blind sided. Also, I think he has pressure in the middle as well which sometimes prevents him from stepping up into the pocket.

I still think if the o-line was better, we wouldn't be discussing these problems. When he has time, he seems to make good decisions. While I think he is a good QB, he is not elite where he could overcome the o-line deficiencies. Just my $.02.

He can't read a defense, play action passing is designed to stop DEs and Mikes in their tracks and take a double look giving QB time to throw , handoff , or run.. Gotta be able to decide what to do and when to do it, not to mention look off safeties and avoid throwing into double coverage.

The read option pass he threw at the beginning of the game last week was a nice play. Would have liked to see it more.

The read option pass he threw at the beginning of the game last week was a nice play. Would have liked to see it more.

Yeah it was a great play but gotta flip the field somehow , our WRs are talented use them!!
Right now Oregon is successfully running the read option.

Thats kinda the issue to me.
We re still running long developing plays (running and passing) knowing that time is of the essence.
The running game is stymied by the read/no read plays that take too long to get the RB to the LOS.
The passing game is even harder to understand because it adds in a higher sack, sack/fumble, int ratio when we are looking 20 yrds down field.

It seems to me that instead of minimizing our weakness we are playing toward it. This offense is gonna struggle until it gets better OL and QB play regardless. But I think it can perform better than it is even with the deficiencies.

That's an excellent summary.

VN Store

Back