Part of the problem on Offense

I think that Worley is a lot more to blame than it appears, but I also don't really fault him. He's beat up, he's pressing, he continues to struggle, but he's battling. I think getting hurt at UGA got into his head, and he hasn't been the same since, though immediately following the injury he looked better than ever.

The OL isn't good but it's not this bad either. The play calling is putrid but Bajakian isn't that bad either. These guys all just need something good to happen and a little confidence. There is a lot Coach Jake isn't doing and could do, but it's not fair to totally judge him with this QB and OL as it's nearly impossible to call plays that build off each other with no running threat.

Ultimately, I just think they need to think outside the box a little, which is where I am discouraged with the coaching. I understand redshirting Dobbs, so put Pig back there in the wildcat with Hurd and/or Scott and send a WR in motion. Give the opposition a triple option look and rotate that with your base offense with Worley. Sure you still know Worley isn't going to really run it and the others are, it's just trying to change things up - make the defense think about something, anything else.

I think that Worley is a lot more to blame than it appears, but I also don't really fault him. He's beat up, he's pressing, he continues to struggle, but he's battling. I think getting hurt at UGA got into his head, and he hasn't been the same since, though immediately following the injury he looked better than ever.

The OL isn't good but it's not this bad either. The play calling is putrid but Bajakian isn't that bad either. These guys all just need something good to happen and a little confidence. There is a lot Coach Jake isn't doing and could do, but it's not fair to totally judge him with this QB and OL as it's nearly impossible to call plays that build off each other with no running threat.

Ultimately, I just think they need to think outside the box a little, which is where I am discouraged with the coaching. I understand redshirting Dobbs, so put Pig back there in the wildcat with Hurd and/or Scott and send a WR in motion. Give the opposition a triple option look and rotate that with your base offense with Worley. Sure you still know Worley isn't going to really run it and the others are, it's just trying to change things up - make the defense think about something, anything else.

I am lost but yet I know what you mean. :blink:

When he runs away from the OL by stepping back an extra 2-3 yds(10 yds back).....No OLman can protect him back there.

Reactions: 1 person
A couple of days ago I heard an analysis of the game by an ex-player whom I will not name. He basically said that the O-Line problems are not entirely their fault. About half the blame is Worley because he drops back way to far that it makes it almost impossible to block fast edge rushers.

I decided to go back and review highlights of our games and sure enough, Worley takes the shotgun snap and will almost always immediately drop back 5+ yards which allows for an easy outside speed rush to make our O-Line look a lot worse than it is.

I never really notices this so I looked at highlights of the Peyton Manning since he takes the majority of his snaps from shotgun. Manning Never drops back more than 2 yards. Most of the time it is about 1.5 yards.

I thought that my comparison may not be a fare comparison being compared to the GOAT so I did the same Worley comparison to Bo Wallace. About 80% of the time Wallace is about 2-3 yards on his drop backs.

Conclusion, I believe there is some validity in Worley being partially to blame on the sacks. To me it looks like if he kept his drop backs to under 3 yards, he would almost always have an extra 1-2 second.

Thoughts?
You are correct, I made this observation yesterday...I know I jump on Justin quite often on here. Last night I was watching some of the replay and I just wanted to iso on Justin to see what I thought might be his problem. Yes I have coached. His biggest problem Justin has (imo) is his footwork. By that I mean Justin does not respond to what the line is giving him at a particular moment. Numerous occasions I watched replay of him not stepping up in to the protection he had. Granted the protection was not there for a very long time. He continually tried to avoid the rush moving in the wrong direction.

Reactions: 2 people
Was at the Ole Miss game. Multiple times Worley had enough time to get rid of the ball, but would not pull the trigger. Needs to start throwing people open, it is as if someone is not completely open, he will not throw the ball.

meaning he cannot read defenses at ALL

Part of the problem that I am seeing, is that the opposing D's have learned to jam up the receivers at the line disrupting their routes and causing them to be slower on their breaks. At the same time, they only have to rush 3 or 4 players to get through our O line so they can drop everyone else into coverage. So, there is no place for Worley to throw the ball. This wasn't happening as much in our earlier games, so the receivers could get open and Worley could throw the ball on the quick outs.

and he further helps them by NOT SCRAMBLING! so all in all, worley contributes to the defensive gameplan by holding the ball and taking sacks or forcing the ball into coverage instead of throwing it away or gaining yardage with his feet. and quite a few of his picks are on FIRST DOWN

A couple of days ago I heard an analysis of the game by an ex-player whom I will not name. He basically said that the O-Line problems are not entirely their fault. About half the blame is Worley because he drops back way to far that it makes it almost impossible to block fast edge rushers.

I decided to go back and review highlights of our games and sure enough, Worley takes the shotgun snap and will almost always immediately drop back 5+ yards which allows for an easy outside speed rush to make our O-Line look a lot worse than it is.

I never really notices this so I looked at highlights of the Peyton Manning since he takes the majority of his snaps from shotgun. Manning Never drops back more than 2 yards. Most of the time it is about 1.5 yards.

I thought that my comparison may not be a fare comparison being compared to the GOAT so I did the same Worley comparison to Bo Wallace. About 80% of the time Wallace is about 2-3 yards on his drop backs.

Conclusion, I believe there is some validity in Worley being partially to blame on the sacks. To me it looks like if he kept his drop backs to under 3 yards, he would almost always have an extra 1-2 second.

Thoughts?

It's kind of hard to only drop back 3 yards when the center and guards are being pushed back 3 yards.

Ainge is a great x's and o's guy. Deserves to be a Qb coach at the very least. He breaks down our offense each and every game and knows what we are doing before the snap... that means most likely every d coordinator does too... :(

Sometimes he holds on the ball to long, but most of the time Thomas is over powered, and has no chance, not only Thomas seems like he stands out the most, but one day that will change and THOMAS will PANCAKE somebodys azz.

Under center, quick slants/outs, 2 to 3 step drops ball gone. A couple of adjustments that could be made to help.

2 or 3 step drops require the receivers to get some seperation and beat the corner, something that isn't happening very often.

2 or 3 step drops require the receivers to get some seperation and beat the corner, something that isn't happening very often.

Is that right?
Actually, by the time Worley stops looking at the Dline crashing, while he's 10 yds back, some routes have already been run single coverage.
Also, when a QB throws into double/triple coverage......means we have at least 1 WR....wide open. Worley throws, consistently, into coverage...

Last edited:
He can't read a defense, play action passing is designed to stop DEs and Mikes in their tracks and take a double look giving QB time to throw , handoff , or run.. Gotta be able to decide what to do and when to do it, not to mention look off safeties and avoid throwing into double coverage.

Why not try some different players and positions on the O-line? Coleman at center, Blair at RT, Pair at LT. Jones says he's starting the best five available. If that's the case, next year is going to be more of the same.

Part of the problem that I am seeing, is that the opposing D's have learned to jam up the receivers at the line disrupting their routes and causing them to be slower on their breaks. At the same time, they only have to rush 3 or 4 players to get through our O line so they can drop everyone else into coverage. So, there is no place for Worley to throw the ball. This wasn't happening as much in our earlier games, so the receivers could get open and Worley could throw the ball on the quick outs.

That's skill bruh , as a former CB we were taught to jam receivers for 5 -7 yards and let them on their route staying on top of them and keeping tight coverage, against teams with strong rushing lines we would let safeties pick up WRs and "corner blitz"

It's the receivers job to get open, believe you me BAMA will not let our receivers get open to often because they know our line isn't great
We need to double up the ends and send a TE across the middle on a slant route for an easy 5-7 yards , only as long as their LBs are on spy and they play 1 safety,

When corners show blitz ,don't run ,change play , slant route for TE or quick outs flanker side

Want to stop him from dropping back too far? Put him under center.

Yes putting him or anyone else under center has worked miraculously thus far. One led to a fumble, the other led to a 5 yard loss on a simple hand off. It may be partially Worley's fault I do not doubt that but our two tackles couldn't block a handicapped woman at this point in time.

This worked earlier in the year. Watch the Florida and Ole Miss game again and you will see that they do not play very deep on early downs. They know we have to throw it short and they take it away often. Deep balls take time and the OL doesn't give enough time.

Thats kinda the issue to me.
We re still running long developing plays (running and passing) knowing that time is of the essence.
The running game is stymied by the read/no read plays that take too long to get the RB to the LOS.
The passing game is even harder to understand because it adds in a higher sack, sack/fumble, int ratio when we are looking 20 yrds down field.

It seems to me that instead of minimizing our weakness we are playing toward it. This offense is gonna struggle until it gets better OL and QB play regardless. But I think it can perform better than it is even with the deficiencies.

Here's my worthless solution. Forget the hurry up. Take every second possible every play. You don't have to sub hurry up to the ball & drain the playclock. It'll give our defense a MUCH needed break and it'll give our O-line a set time to come off the line, I'm so sick of seeing the left tackle letting the center know when to snap the ball. It's basically giving the defense a edge on when to attack.

I really think that (yet another) problem is that the receivers are not getting separation and getting open looks. A quick passing game requires them to come off the line and shed pressing defenders. Even North has not been very successful at doing that.

Bottom line: the offense has multiple problems, and it's not going to be an easy fix. The OL is undoubtedly the biggest factor, but Worley isn't playing well, the RBs are banged up, and the receivers aren't helping much.

I really think that (yet another) problem is that the receivers are not getting separation and getting open looks. A quick passing game requires them to come off the line and shed pressing defenders. Even North has not been very successful at doing that.

Bottom line: the offense has multiple problems, and it's not going to be an easy fix. The OL is undoubtedly the biggest factor, but Worley isn't playing well, the RBs are banged up, and the receivers aren't helping much.

We do have multiple problems, I agree. Ole miss is not a good game to analyze. They shut your water off until you get frustrated enough to throw it up for grabs. Then they intercept it and get a good return. Their front is good enough to apply pressure without help from a blitz. They bracket deep threats as well. Most teams can't do that. We will be able to do that next year with our front rotations. I'm so looking forward to that but that is next year. Worley didn't throw a lot of passes last week because all he saw was seven in coverage all night. They played man under with two and three deep safeties more than likely. Tough defense to play against from behind. I knew we were in trouble when we fell behind by two scores. The flood gates opened up shortly after. That's their mo.

I also agree about the recievers. Should not be so with our big bodies imo

Thoughts?

I think part of the problem is our 285 lb center is being pushed into the backfield pretty far.

VN Store

Back