Paleo Diet! The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

The Paleo works-it is a lifestyle not just a diet.

Which is why it works. It's healthy living. Watching calories, overall intake and plenty of exercise produces similar results.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

It has its good and bad.

I have a friend who's wife has done a kind of combo of "clean"/paleo type things and its had wonderful results. She's worked extremely hard at finding things that they both like, and she doesn't take it to the extreme.

My brother's wife, on the other hand, has almost ruined her marriage over the whole thing. She's taken it way to far (refuses to go out to eat anywhere or with any of their friends, won't go to a grocery store, spends every family gathering berating family members over what they eat, etc). Its caused friction with in their relationship, and with both sides of the family...a lot of which stems from her being near psychotic over what their 2 year old eats.

I think it can rub people the wrong way because a lot of people devoted to it can be a bit...um...derisive about what people who aren't on it do.

Started reading, wondering in my head if this was the "raw" diet, then got to the word bacon. :lol:

I love it. Plenty of meat and veggies flavored with healthy fat. The loss of grains doesn't bother me so much and seems to improve my gastric system. I'm not a strict adherent, but I do pay a price if I cheat too much.

For weight loss the formula is simple, you have to burn more calories than you consume. All of these "diets" are just money scams. Oh and the Paleo Diet is NOTHING like what ancient man ate.

If you want to know what sugar you can have you're better off eliminating it all together (including fruit and starchy vegetables) until you don't crave it anymore.

For weight loss the formula is simple, you have to burn more calories than you consume. All of these "diets" are just money scams. Oh and the Paleo Diet is NOTHING like what ancient man ate.

paleo-
combining form
older or ancient, especially relating to the geological past.
"Paleolithic"

Forget the Paleo diet though and do the Victorian Orphan Diet.
You may have one serving per day of gruel, and no more. Don't worry, you can still “cheat”: You’re allowed to eat any food you pick from the pockets of a well-heeled gentleman, as long as you give a cut to an anti-Semitic caricature. Follow this diet, and you'll have the supple, malnourished limbs of a sallow-faced street urchin, or as it’s called today, “thigh gap.”

"Please sir, I want some more"

Years ago I jumped from 200 pounds to 250 (I am 6ft) after I moved to Knoxville. I was in my 30's, and I just took my first job after college (graduated from ETSU) as an accountant. I was eating a bad diet of large lunches (I think I ate at every resturant near Lovell Road and Turkey Creek) and a lack of exercise (sitting at a desk all day can be murder on a body). As a former Marine I was disgusted with myself. I cut out sodas, stopped eating out for lunch, and limited my red meat intake while running/walking 3 times a week. Also I limited myself to 1500 to 1800 calories a day. I started to drop weight like crazy. Luckily I love foods like sushi, any kind of fish, and chicken. Within 5 months I dropped 77 pounds, and I was down to 173. I went from a 36 to 38 pants size to a 32.

So in the end you are correct. It just takes discipline. I do question fad diets like this, because you need truly a lifelong lifestyle change to keep the weight off. Once you go off a fad diet the weight will come back.

I'm going to be 42 next month, and my weight now stays between 182 and 175. I now drink a whole lot more (craft beer is my obsession which usually is high in calories), but I still avoid high calorie meals during the week. If I start to get close to 182 I become more 'nazi' about my calories. I also still run a couple of miles 3 times a week (my motto is 'I run so I can drink beer'). So for me it is really about the calories more than anything.

One warning the older you get the harder it will become. I use to be able to drop 5 pounds in a couple of weeks, but now it can take me up to a month. You just got to stay on top of it.

Years ago I jumped from 200 pounds to 250 (I am 6ft) after I moved to Knoxville. I was in my 30's, and I just took my first job after college (graduated from ETSU) as an accountant. I was eating a bad diet of large lunches (I think I ate at every resturant near Lovell Road and Turkey Creek) and a lack of exercise (sitting at a desk all day can be murder on a body). As a former Marine I was disgusted with myself. I cut out sodas, stopped eating out for lunch, and limited my red meat intake while running/walking 3 times a week. Also I limited myself to 1500 to 1800 calories a day. I started to drop weight like crazy. Luckily I love foods like sushi, any kind of fish, and chicken. Within 5 months I dropped 77 pounds, and I was down to 173. I went from a 36 to 38 pants size to a 32.

So in the end you are correct. It just takes discipline. I do question fad diets like this, because you need truly a lifelong lifestyle change to keep the weight off. Once you go off a fad diet the weight will come back.

I'm going to be 42 next month, and my weight now stays between 182 and 175. I now drink a whole lot more (craft beer is my obsession which usually is high in calories), but I still avoid high calorie meals during the week. If I start to get close to 182 I become more 'nazi' about my calories. I also still run a couple of miles 3 times a week (my motto is 'I run so I can drink beer'). So for me it is really about the calories more than anything.

One warning the older you get the harder it will become. I use to be able to drop 5 pounds in a couple of weeks, but now it can take me up to a month. You just got to stay on top of it.

It's so unbelievably easy to eat too much food when you go out to eat. The portions served in most restaurants are far larger than most people should be eating in one meal. That's not even adding alcohol and appetizers to the meal either. My last girlfriend and I ate at restaurants a lot and just about every time we were bringing home extra food. We eventually started splitting one meal but it doesn't feel right to do that all the time everywhere, especially to servers.

VN Store

Back