Paint the rock for the 18th!!

im starting to think more and more that the kids names should be included on the rock. its tradition and it shows that the average fans do in fact know who they are and are very passionate about our team. plus its much more personalized, just think about it. if you were a kid who was hundreds of miles from home and lets say your just a three star guy who generally doesnt get much hype and theres your name on the UT rock. that sends a big message. i dont want to single out any of the bigger guys but lets show them all some love and also give a shoutout to the ones who have committed. just a thought. if the general consensus is against it then i wont do it like that so let me know what yall think. oh and as of now it should all go as planned. a mid-to-late evening paint on friday the 18th. jake tate will be the main artist and im waiting on ins ( probably start between 6-7 pm) tructions from him on what to purchase as far as what colors and what types of brushes and what-not and we will go from there.

I agree completely. Either all or none. And I think you're right in that all is best.

Reactions: 2 people
im starting to think more and more that the kids names should be included on the rock. its tradition and it shows that the average fans do in fact know who they are and are very passionate about our team. plus its much more personalized, just think about it. if you were a kid who was hundreds of miles from home and lets say your just a three star guy who generally doesnt get much hype and theres your name on the UT rock. that sends a big message. i dont want to single out any of the bigger guys but lets show them all some love and also give a shoutout to the ones who have committed. just a thought.

I agree 100% with your assessment Ertel. Think that's a wise and thoughtful way of looking at it.

May the force be with you!

Reactions: 1 person
All is better than none, but 3-star guys don't belong on the rock imo

i appreciate the input, really do, but i have to disagree. three star guys are usually the backbone of the team and are as critical as anyone. we arent gonna have a roster composed entirely of 4 and 5 star guys, just aint gonna happen so we need to show everyone some love. i just think instead of the generic welcome message we had discussed that we should go with their names instead. i remember when derrick green saw his name on there (even made it into the rivals interview) he was super impressed with it and i just want lawson and company to feel the same way. and that means all of them.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree completely. Either all or none. And I think you're right in that all is best.
I do say put all the names on. It would be awful to visit if I was a recruit to show up and not have my name on there but to see 1/2 of the others around me on there.

Reactions: 3 people
oh two more things, first has anyone found skeeter yet? he used to promise protection for the rock to try and keep the kids names on it until they got to see it and that always made me feel good, especially since we once had our painting covered literally minutes after we got done and had just circled the cars around to admire our work. and secondly should we go ahead and put r. foster on the rock a. in the outside chance he does visit and b. so the couple guys who are good friends with him who are visiting would tweet it to him and show him we want him too? yes? no?

im starting to think more and more that the kids names should be included on the rock. its tradition and it shows that the average fans do in fact know who they are and are very passionate about our team. plus its much more personalized, just think about it. if you were a kid who was hundreds of miles from home and lets say your just a three star guy who generally doesnt get much hype and theres your name on the UT rock. that sends a big message. i dont want to single out any of the bigger guys but lets show them all some love and also give a shoutout to the ones who have committed. just a thought. if the general consensus is against it then i wont do it like that so let me know what yall think. oh and as of now it should all go as planned. a mid-to-late evening paint on friday the 18th. jake tate will be the main artist and im waiting on ins ( probably start between 6-7 pm) tructions from him on what to purchase as far as what colors and what types of brushes and what-not and we will go from there.

Did you get my message, Ertel?

I'm not against putting all their names on it. I would like to point out though that 8 of the 17 (I think) visitors this weekend are UT commits. Since half are UT commits maybe the painting should focus on the two different groups. UT commits & non UT commits.

Maybe say "VFL" & list our commits under that on the left side & then say "who's with us?" & list the others under that on the right side? Then at the bottom have #RisetotheTop & #Team117. Or what about #Team117-120?

Just a thought. This way all the names will be on there.

Reactions: 4 people
Did you get my message, Ertel?

I'm not against putting all their names on it. I would like to point out though that 8 of the 17 (I think) visitors this weekend are UT commits. Since half are UT commits maybe the painting should focus on the two different groups. UT commits & non UT commits.

Maybe say "VFL" & list our commits under that on the left side & then say "who's with us?" & list the others under that on the right side? Then at the bottom have #RisetotheTop & #Team117. Or what about #Team117-120?

some great ideas. and yes i got the gist of your message, my fiance has my phone today and she called my work earlier and mentioned it. thanks again man. and btw had no idea when you originally texted me that this was you, been a HUGE fan of your avi for a long time lol

oh and btw for everyone else i went ahead and copied the new updated vistior list and edited the op for reference of whos supposed to be coming in.

I just think getting your name on the rock should be special and it gets watered down when everyone who visits goes on the rock

It's only Tuesday and I'm already pumped! I can't wait to see what you guys come up with and see the pics.

i appreciate the input, really do, but i have to disagree. three star guys are usually the backbone of the team and are as critical as anyone. we arent gonna have a roster composed entirely of 4 and 5 star guys, just aint gonna happen so we need to show everyone some love. i just think instead of the generic welcome message we had discussed that we should go with their names instead. i remember when derrick green saw his name on there (even made it into the rivals interview) he was super impressed with it and i just want lawson and company to feel the same way. and that means all of them.

Solid argument Jacob. :good!:

I believe Skeeter has gone MIA. OCI may be able to help, though. He works in (or around) the AD, right?

Hey Ertel, Hope you see this. I am going to call you tomorrow and we can talk about supplies and the like.

I had a vasectomy this past friday, so I have been out of commission for a few days... ouch...

Just your typical orange, white and black paint. maybe several cans of black or a gallon of black and some rollers for the background and a gallon of orange and white. get the same color of about 4-6 cans of each color and a handful of brushes of various sizes.

THat should be good. Stencils if you can find some big ones, but Im just gonna freehand most of it.

I'm thinking a big jersey with #117 and team written small right above the numbers. Than "your name here" in the name portion of the jersey. Maybe a good one liner or two across the top and bottom of the rock like we talked about and the names of all the visitors along the sides. a hashtag for the tweeters, probably one of the ones CBJ uses.

Anybody got anything else? And we can use volunteers. I am thinking about 530 or so at the rock on Friday evening. This rain should be done by then.

PM me if you want to volunteer with your number and/or email

I just think getting your name on the rock should be special and it gets watered down when everyone who visits goes on the rock

I think they are all special. Some of our best players didn't have four or five stars, and some of the worst did.

Need an armed guard so nobody will paint over it IMO. Any volunteers? J/K....well not really.

I already asked the infamous Gibbs hall guy if he would try and run some interference from the sorority chicks lol hopefully he can keep em offa it

I like this idea but with a slightly different twist.

List the current commits on the top half of the rock under the heading "Vols For Life" or similar. Then paint a solid line across the rock.

Below the line paint the header "Join the Vol Family" (or similar) and list the non-committed recruits and then below their names add "and Rise to the Top" with an arrow pointing back up to the top of the rock.

Vols For Life

name name name name
name name name name
_____

Join the Vol Family

name name name name
name name name name

and Rise to the Top (and then draw an arrow to the top.)

VN Store

Back