"Out-Cuonzoed"

I have made one comment about Cuonzo tonight, and it's in this thread titled "out-cuonzoed." I've been hammering Barnes. IDGAS about Martin anymore.

We held them without a field goal for the last almost 7 minutes of the game. The problem is the inconsistent guard play. Bowden may be the most timid sharpshooter I’ve ever seen. Bone was atrocious tonight, which is uncharacteristic. It was terrible shooting night, it happens. People who claim Cuonzo “coached circles” tonight around Barnes are insane. We will be fine.

Reactions: 1 person
CCM is a good defensive coach, and he showed it tonight. Yeah, Bowden and Bone missed a bunch of open looks, but Mizzou, who ordinarily shoots threes very well, was, what, 2-12 from 3 tonight? It works both ways. Is Barnes, overall, a better coach than CCM? Yes. Is Pearl? Yes. That doesn't mean CCM is a bad coach. He's above average, in fact, just not elite. But you are what your record says you are, and Mizzou was 5-12 this time last year, 13-5 now.

Reactions: 2 people
We held them without a field goal for the last almost 7 minutes of the game. The problem is the inconsistent guard play. Bowden may be the most timid sharpshooter I’ve ever seen. Bone was atrocious tonight, which is uncharacteristic. It was terrible shooting night, it happens. People who claim Cuonzo “coached circles” tonight around Barnes are insane. We will be fine.

I agree that we'll be fine. If you happen to stick around the bball forum, I'm sure we'll come to a consensus concerning the main reasons we lost by this time tomorrow night.

You calm your tits. Cuonzo has never and will never win jack sh*t.

If UT played Mizzou on a neutral floor they would whip their ass. If they played them at home it would be a laugher. Get your head out of Cuonzo's ass.

Cuonzo is still fairly young and is just now becoming experienced. He wasn't ready at the time to be TN's coach. He's not doing a bad job this year although the guy that this year's team was supposed to be built around played less than 5 minutes before having a season ending injury (or close to it... Porter could be back by tourney time).

Cuonzo is still fairly young and is just now becoming experienced. He wasn't ready at the time to be TN's coach. He's not doing a bad job this year although the guy that this year's team was supposed to be built around played less than 5 minutes before having a season ending injury (or close to it... Porter could be back by tourney time).

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on a great Cuonzo game plan. His style of hoops is boring as sh*t. UT would whip them when the refs aren't in his pocket on his home court.

He caught lightning in a bottle in his 3rd year at UT when he had a ton of talent and we barely made it in the tourney. Unless he makes a complete coaching about face, he'll never be a great X's and O's coach. He'll need unbelievable talent to ever do anything. Hell, he had great talent at Cal and didn't do much of anything in the NCAA tourney. I'll take Barnes over him any day.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on a great Cuonzo game plan. His style of hoops is boring as sh*t. UT would whip them when the refs aren't in his pocket on his home court.

He caught lightning in a bottle in his 3rd year at UT when he had a ton of talent and we barely made it in the tourney. Unless he makes a complete coaching about face, he'll never be a great X's and O's coach. He'll need unbelievable talent to ever do anything. Hell, he had great talent at Cal and didn't do much of anything in the NCAA tourney. I'll take Barnes over him any day.

Cuonzo has improved his w/l record at every stop. Except for regressing 2 or 3 games in his 3rd year at Cal, his year-over-year w/l record has improved in every year at each stop.

He might have a boring style, but he's transformed himself into a recruiting beast.

I thought that Cuonzo looked far better tonight than he ever looked while at TN.
Moving from Missouri Directional to the SEC was quite a leap. After his 3-year run at Missouri is up, he should move to the Big 10. He would thrive in that conference.

Cuonzo has improved his w/l record at every stop. Except for regressing 2 or 3 games in his 3rd year at Cal, his year-over-year w/l record has improved in every year at each stop.

He might have a boring style, but he's transformed himself into a recruiting beast.

I thought that Cuonzo looked far better tonight than he ever looked while at TN.
Moving from Missouri Directional to the SEC was quite a leap. After his 3-year run at Missouri is up, he should move to the Big 10. He would thrive in that conference.

He's good at getting out just before he gets fired. You happen to check out Cal's W-L record? They're 7-12 and 1-5 in conference. Just like when he left UT, he didn't exactly leave the roster in good shape. He would be sucking wind at Cal this year.

He got UT at home. He barely beat UT at home when UT didn't play their best. I'll bet a large chunk of money that UT would beat them on a neutral court and whip their ass at home.

The only thing he has been able to do is recruit. However, even with great talent he has shown he doesn't know what to do with it. Time will tell if he can ever make it over the hump, but he's an average X's and O's coach at best.

I recall being one shot away from our best finish ever. With a team that was not ranked preseason.

Or has Pearl not won anything either? I don't recall a ton of SEC championships.

He is good coach as shown by his record. Not a great coach or elite. You need to get over your Zo hatred.

I recall being one shot away from our best finish ever. With a team that was not ranked preseason.

Or has Pearl not won anything either? I don't recall a ton of SEC championships.

He is good coach as shown by his record. Not a great coach or elite. You need to get over your Zo hatred.

Yeah, that one shot from the best finish ever was with Pearl as coach. Who gives a damn about pre-season rankings? Are you really that desperate to throw that BS out there? Apparently so.

Pearl won a SEC title. He also went to 6 straight NCAA's. Cuonzo has gone to 2 in 9 years. Pearl finished 1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 3rd, and 5th in the East. Cuonzo could only dream of doing that.

Cuonzo is an average coach at best. He's a good recruiter and an average bench coach. Until he hires an asst coach to help him or does an about face, he'll always be an average bench coach.

Here’s the rub. Cuonzo gets calls at home but rarely wins on the road or in neutral settings. He’s an average coach. If UT played them again, I’d say we wipe their ass because Gonzo sucks as a coach.
Bull that Counzo gets all the calls at home. Tennessee was in the DOUBLE bonus over the last several minutes of the game and Missouri didn't get into the bonus until less than 20 seconds remaining...

Barnes was again out coached tonight. The repeating trends since Barnes has arrived in Knoxville are that he can't coach in late game situations and his clock management is suspect. Two areas that should be strengths considering he has been a head coach for 30 years...

Rick Barnes didn't get outcoached by Cuonzo Martin just like Bruce Pearl didn't get outcoached by Avery Johnson last night.Home court advantage creates these outcomes and it happens especially with such poor shooting by a visiting team.

Rick Barnes didn't get outcoached by Cuonzo Martin just like Bruce Pearl didn't get outcoached by Avery Johnson last night.Home court advantage creates these outcomes and it happens especially with such poor shooting by a visiting team.
Barnes loses every close game. It is what it is. He just can't make in-game adjustments. He got fired from Texas for being mediocre. That's who he is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Their defense came to play, and our offense didn't. We hardly made an effort to move the ball, Grant wasn't putting it on the floor, and our defense was frantic and behind almost the whole game. That was a winnable game, and Barnes did not instruct the players to do it IMO.

I'm not sweating this one. We both know we were underdogs on the road against a good team. I'm not going 1985/cheggerbutt, but come on, Barnes didn't have us prepared and didn't adjust properly.

That's fine Chris, you go right ahead and accept mediocrity just like we did for 4 years under Butch. I expect to play for championships and the type of coaching and effort we are getting from this team every 3-4 games tells me that ain't going to happen. This was almost a replay of the Auburn game , better than the team we are playing but they wanted it more. We'll see how much everyone is " sweating" come March when this team is on the bubble or a 9 seed in the tourney when they could have been a 4 or 5 had they brought effort every game. They take too many nights off and Barnes is to blame for that.

This one riles up the fans just as it did vs Auburn. They don't like losing to their former coaches. A win would have confirmed...in their minds at least...UT was better off without CCM or BP. This is a very limited team offensively. We're going to have a lot of nights like last night. Team has exceeded my expectations so far this year. If they make the tournament with this roster, that would be impressive. Still a long way to go. Depth is still a concern in my mind. Better pray we stay healthy in the top 7. Losing a player from the rotation would be a killer to our hopes.

This one riles up the fans just as it did vs Auburn. They don't like losing to their former coaches. A win would have confirmed...in their minds at least...UT was better off without CCM or BP. This is a very limited team offensively. We're going to have a lot of nights like last night. Team has exceeded my expectations so far this year. If they make the tournament with this roster, that would be impressive. Still a long way to go. Depth is still a concern in my mind. Better pray we stay healthy in the top 7. Losing a player from the rotation would be a killer to our hopes.
Barnes just isn't an elite coach. He's very pedestrian. He got outcoached tonight as usual. He finds a way to lose every single close game. He has no idea how to press or how to beat the press. Zero clue. If you refuse to see that, then you're mentally challenged.

Tennessee might qualify for the tournament. We might even win a game, but in the end we will always go home with broken hearts. Texas saw it and moved on.

Perhaps worst of all, Barnes constantly criticizes us fans. Compare that with Pearl who embraced us. Barnes was infuriated that we didn't hire his buddy Schiano and let it be known after the game. He spoke at length about how great Currie is.

Barnes just reeks of self-righteous douchebaggery. We need to move on from him. We have this whole team minus Daniel for at least one more year. We'd probably be a little better with an assistant running the show. Barnes is a .500 SEC coach at best. I think a decent high school coach would be a better option. Barnes was known as Prick Barnes at Texas for a reason. He's just a first rate *******, and he hasn't earned the right to be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Barnes just isn't an elite coach. He's very pedestrian. He got outcoached tonight as usual. He finds a way to lose every single close game. He has no idea how to press or how to beat the press. Zero clue. If you refuse to see that, then you're mentally challenged.

Tennessee might qualify for the tournament. We might even win a game, but in the end we will always go home with broken hearts. Texas saw it and moved on.

Perhaps worst of all, Barnes constantly criticizes us fans. Compare that with Pearl who embraced us. Barnes was infuriated that we didn't hire his buddy Schiano and let it be known after the game. He spoke at length about how great Currie is.

Barnes just reeks of self-righteous douchebaggery. We need to move on from him. We have this whole team minus Daniel for at least one more year. We'd probably be a little better with an assistant running the show. Barnes is a .500 SEC coach at best. I think a decent high school coach would be a better option. Barnes was known as Prick Barnes at Texas for a reason. He's just a first rate *******, and he hasn't earned the right to be.

Cool story.

Sweet Baby Jesus.
I saw 2 defensive teams that can turn the game into Ugly.
They just Out Uglied us.
We had an off shooting night for most of the game.
We were never going to win them all down the stretch.
We'll win more than we lose from here on and play well in the Dance.
The next game will be even Uglier.
Stay the Course.

That's fine Chris, you go right ahead and accept mediocrity just like we did for 4 years under Butch. I expect to play for championships and the type of coaching and effort we are getting from this team every 3-4 games tells me that ain't going to happen. This was almost a replay of the Auburn game , better than the team we are playing but they wanted it more. We'll see how much everyone is " sweating" come March when this team is on the bubble or a 9 seed in the tourney when they could have been a 4 or 5 had they brought effort every game. They take too many nights off and Barnes is to blame for that.

I know that you're already aware of this, but I'll go ahead and say it again: you truly are a miserable dolt. Not I nor anyone else cares what you think or have to say about UT bball.

What stuck out to me more than anything was their big men. They were long, athletic and can step out to hit the 3. That’s hard to guard every time down the floor. I thought our defense played well but Mizzou had a lot of open shots in the second half because of their spacing. If that Puryear guy was aggressive every time he had the ball he might have a case to be SEC player of the year with how he plays and knocks down free throws.

I know that you're already aware of this, but I'll go ahead and say it again: you truly are a miserable dolt. Not I nor anyone else cares what you think or have to say about UT bball.
Lord. What does Bone and bowden going 1-13 and combining for 3 points have to do with coaching?I guess we need to accept the fact that the trolls that come out from under their rocks with every loss and are invisible for each win is a norm for the board.

Lord. What does Bone and bowden going 1-13 and combining for 3 points have to do with coaching?I guess we need to accept the fact that the trolls that come out from under their rocks with every loss and are invisible for each win is a norm for the board.

Has to do with recruiting more than coaching.

VN Store

Back