Our football schedules???

Why would you pick SC to beat us? They are losing Shaw and Clowney and we beat them this year. Vandy is losing Matthews and Krause, pretty much their entire offense. Also why is Utah State a toss up?

Just a worst case scenario look at it - also taking into account our inability to beat quality teams on the road the past several years. IMO Florida @ home is our best chance at an "upset" next year, but we seem to be cursed when it comes to playing them. Utah State is going to a bowl game and isn't a bad team by any means. I personally think we'll beat them, but give our last 4 dismal years I'm not going to call that a gimme because it's just not anymore. As someone else pointed out, their QB is pretty good - mobile.

These types of threads tend to pop up when UT sucks.

So for all the people that are complaining about the schedule, how do you feel about the VT game in Bristol? Should UT buy out of that game, too?

The schedules are made years in advance. That being said, I'd love to have year when some of the big names are down a bit and we can capitalize on that. When your winning, the buzz is there and recruits notice that.

We need to play good teams to get better.Fortunately, we have plenty of them in the SEC.I would like to see Tennessee take road trips to places we can get recruiting traction,but not mashed like bugs until they get good enough to compete.Utah, Texas Tech, etc..places that are 50/50 shots.The schedule is made 5+ years out,but this is something to think about down the line.

One it is for recruiting purposes and two just look at Auburn 2004.

Auburn got screwed and arguably had the more difficult schedule than either USC or Oklahoma.

USC played & defeated 2 ranked opponents in the reg. season (#7 Cal, #15 ASU). They were preseason #1 and remained there all season (kinda like OSU seems to often do...)

Oklahoma played & defeated 3 ranked opponents in the reg. season (#5 Texas, #20 OkSt, #22 TAMU). They were preseason #2 and remained there all season.

Auburn played and defeated 4 ranked opponents in the reg. season (#5 LSU, #10 UT, #8 UGA, #15 UT - SECCG). Auburn was preseason #17.

I still to this day do not see how Auburn didn't get in. I think they would've beaten either team that year. JMHO

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Don't want to be like Vandy and play powder puff teams in the non conference schedule, then brag that we have a winning record.

Exactly. I would rather play one good OOC game a year. We will be back to winning and competing in those soon. I would rather watch a nationally televised game and get the exposure against a good team that be the early SEC network game against S.Ala, W.Kent, UT Martin and othees. UT has always played a good non conf schedule and hope it continues. Ala should take notes. They dont travel to a tough non conf teams field. They play teams with a name but haven't been that grwat on neutral fields but sec based.

VN Store

Back