Our football schedules???

I agree. I think regional games would be very attractive to a lot of fans. I mean how realistic is it to expect a fan base to travel across the country to watch us play Oregon for example. I mean as if the opponent wasn't tough enough, we only had a handful of fans there. (Not even the band) lol. I actually felt sorry for the guys...and it was a little embarrassing too.

I agree but no one complained when we played Cal and beat dat azzzz :) honestly we just need to get better and these games will start to become exciting again.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree. I think regional games would be very attractive to a lot of fans. I mean how realistic is it to expect a fan base to travel across the country to watch us play Oregon for example. I mean as if the opponent wasn't tough enough, we only had a handful of fans there. (Not even the band) lol. I actually felt sorry for the guys...and it was a little embarrassing too.

so you agree with a team like Clemson but not Oklahoma? At least you're consistent

if you want to nerf the schedule go full on and get ODU, NC A&T, Ga St, etc

I have a hard time understanding why we are so set on maintaining one of the hardest schedules in the country. Take this year for example...wow! I mean did our AD think we would actually be competitive against Oregon...and Oklahoma next year? (Not to mention we already play in the toughest conference in America). I know these schedules are made out several years in advance and some people want to point to "good exposure", but it doesn't make good sense to me. You don't see LSU,AU,SC,Bama, etc... going out of their way to schedule this way. Some of you may take pride in the statement "we play the toughest schedule in America"....well I don't. How many people do you think care? At the end of the day...a losing record is a losing record. It simply doesn't make sense to me to schedule this way when we're at such a low right now. This has bothered me for a while...just had to vent a little.

Don't want to be like Vandy and play powder puff teams in the non conference schedule, then brag that we have a winning record.

Reactions: 4 people
I've never understood why we don't just get Ga Tech, The North Carolina/Virginia schools, Clemson etc on the schedule. You know . . . actual places where the average Tennessee fan might be able to get to without spending an arm and a leg.

I know the argument about exposure and needing to recruit nationally, but we're about to be in an environment where every game is on a nationally televised network.

I would like that too. Lots of UT fans in the surrounding states that would likely travel. Sort of a compromise I guess

Reactions: 1 person
I've never understood why we don't just get Ga Tech, The North Carolina/Virginia schools, Clemson etc on the schedule. You know . . . actual places where the average Tennessee fan might be able to get to without spending an arm and a leg.

I know the argument about exposure and needing to recruit nationally, but we're about to be in an environment where every game is on a nationally televised network.

I would like that too. Lots of UT fans in the surrounding states that would likely travel. Sort of a compromise I guess
I'm actually quite excited about my drive of less than 3 hours to see us play at Oklahoma next year :p

I think that we need to play (1) tough team per year from the non conference schedule. If we want to be a National Brand, then we need to teams outside our geographic region.

Washington State, Oregon, UCLA, Oklahoma, Cal. Berkley, Nebraska, Texas Tech, etc. etc.

so you agree with a team like Clemson but not Oklahoma? At least you're consistent

if you want to nerf the schedule go full on and get ODU, NC A&T, Ga St, etc

Who said anything about Clemson? Man you're all over the place now. Lol. Clemson is on another level. And yes...I'm all about "nerfing" (whatever that means..softer I assume) the schedule for now. We need a SOFT non conference schedule rig now. So yes, I'm very consistent in my thinking on this topic.

Who said anything about Clemson?

post you quoted:

I've never understood why we don't just get Ga Tech, The North Carolina/Virginia schools, Clemson etc on the schedule.
your response
I agree. I think regional games would be very attractive to a lot of fans.

We need a soft non conference schedule rig now.

which can't happen unless we buy out which is expensive and makes us look bad

I honestly only see 3 "gimme's" on next year's schedule, based on this past year's play. Unless we have some serious turn around in the off season or some freshmen come in and immediately contribute @ key positions, the below seems probable

Utah State - toss up
Arkansas State - win
@ Oklahoma - loss
@ UGA - loss
Florida - loss (could be toss up, but c'mon - they always beat us)
Chattanooga - win
@ Ole Miss - toss up
Alabama - loss
@ South Carolina - loss
Kentucky - win
Mizzou - loss
@ Vanderbilt - toss up

So if we win all of our "toss ups" and/or pull some upset wins, we could go 6-6 and make it to a bowl game for a 7-6 season. I feel like a realistic spread for us next year is at worst, 4-8 & at best 8-5. At this stage I would be very happy with 7-6 or 8-5. Anything less than this is a failure of a season.

JMHO based on the previous years and unanswered Q's @ QB - flame away :hi:

If we lose at home to Utah State to open the season......I shudder to think what will happen on this board.

Reactions: 5 people
you don't have to go to FCS to lighten the schedule up a bit - UW would have been a much easier schedule than Oregon - there are plenty of non-juggernaut D1 teams that you can schedule - a la like just last year when we put on NC state late and delayed Oregon

I am not sure how good OK will be next year but Oregon was a dumb move imo and getting trounced by them did not enhance our national brand in any way

I honestly only see 3 "gimme's" on next year's schedule, based on this past year's play. Unless we have some serious turn around in the off season or some freshmen come in and immediately contribute @ key positions, the below seems probable

Utah State - toss up
Arkansas State - win
@ Oklahoma - loss
@ UGA - loss
Florida - loss (could be toss up, but c'mon - they always beat us)
Chattanooga - win
@ Ole Miss - toss up
Alabama - loss
@ South Carolina - loss
Kentucky - win
Mizzou - loss
@ Vanderbilt - toss up

So if we win all of our "toss ups" and/or pull some upset wins, we could go 6-6 and make it to a bowl game for a 7-6 season. I feel like a realistic spread for us next year is at worst, 4-8 & at best 8-5. At this stage I would be very happy with 7-6 or 8-5. Anything less than this is a failure of a season.

JMHO based on the previous years and unanswered Q's @ QB - flame away :hi:

I'd say we take the Utah State game, the Florida game (it's in Neyland and they are a match away from a dumpster fire) and the Vandy game.

I'll give you the toss up with Ole Miss, but add Georgia. We always play them tough.

USCjr will be out for blood, but we can maybe make it competitive. Mizzou looks like they will have a good QB starting next year barring injury. Oklahoma I'm not sure about yet.

post you quoted:

your response

which can't happen unless we buy out which is expensive and makes us look bad

Dude... I never said anything about playing Clemson. You did. Take a hike. You're only on here to argue with posters. Lol

Dude... I never said anything about playing Clemson. You did. Take a hike. You're only on here to argue with posters. Lol

no you agreed with a post that did.

and I'm not arguing I'm simply pointing out the gaping holes in your ideas. If you don't want that to happen then either don't start repetitive threads or simply think them through before posting. That's all

And we were playing good teams when everyone else had their sissy pants on. We used to beat those teams, and we will again, I've said this before but it never ceases to amaze me how we also manage to play the SEC team the ONE year they are good... Just looking at recent years we played #8 Arkansas in 2011 & they have been horrible since....2012 it was #19 unbeaten Miss St & this year #7 Auburn. None of these teams we any good the year before OR after we played them. Next year it's Ole Miss & they are supposed to be good. Unbelievable bad luck & timing. UT has got to catch some breaks soon!!

no you agreed with a post that did.

and I'm not arguing I'm simply pointing out the gaping holes in your ideas. If you don't want that to happen then either don't start repetitive threads or simply think them through before posting. That's all

Ok...let me simplify my "ideas". I think we should schedule very "tactful" non conference games until we replenish our talent and depth issues. That's it...it's that simple....it really is...that's all I'm saying...that's the point I'm trying to make...sorry if I'm being repetitive!

On the other hand, given the way we struggled to beat South Alabama and the fact that we got beat at home by Vanderbilt, scheduling a decent mid major could have led to a more embarrassing loss than a simple beat down by a top ranked team.

Could you imagine if Tennessee had played N. Illinois or Bowling Green and lost? Talk about an "egg on your face" moment.

I have a hard time understanding why we are so set on maintaining one of the hardest schedules in the country. Take this year for example...wow! I mean did our AD think we would actually be competitive against Oregon...and Oklahoma next year? (Not to mention we already play in the toughest conference in America). I know these schedules are made out several years in advance and some people want to point to "good exposure", but it doesn't make good sense to me. You don't see LSU,AU,SC,Bama, etc... going out of their way to schedule this way. Some of you may take pride in the statement "we play the toughest schedule in America"....well I don't. How many people do you think care? At the end of the day...a losing record is a losing record. It simply doesn't make sense to me to schedule this way when we're at such a low right now. This has bothered me for a while...just had to vent a little.

The Vols are the worst run program in the SEC. The AD there is a joke! You ever heard the phrase set up for failure?

Every team in our division except Missouri and Vandy played a top 10 team OOC game this year. This myth that we are the only SEC school that plays anyone just won't die.

Reactions: 3 people
Vandy play's one of the easier OOC schedules. 4 cupcake teams

Vandy also goes bowling every year too! Maybe they're onto something? But......... we're UT and we like tough ooc games cause we still think it's the 90's and we should be good by default!

I enjoy the OOC games. Went to UCLA in 2008 and Oregon this past year. I enjoy seeing OOC atmospheres/traditions/fans.

I would like to see more SEC teams travel for OOC games though. I understand the UGA/GT, UF/FSU, USC/Clemson games but i don't see may SEC teams play home and homes with schools outside the southeast like we do. I think LSU has with Washington and WV but mostly SEC teams do the Kick-Off Classics. I went to the NCSt/UT Classic and it was fun but I enjoy going to away stadiums. I know UT has lost most of those recently (Cal/UCLA/Oregon) but I still enjoy it. We will be better as a football program soon enough and the OOC away games will be even more enjoyable.

I'm not saying those teams haven't played good out of conference opponents over a 3-4 yr span....of us it seems to be year in and year out. You seem to be all for it! Not me. If ever there were a time for "tactful" scheduling...it's now!

Why throw another cupcake OOC game on the schedule just so we can go 6-6 and get to a meaningless bowl game?? Does that make us a better football team? No, obviously.

I would rather our players see what real football looks like so that they can go work at playing like that.

VN Store

Back