Other head coach options (merged)

History shows that we will continue to shop in the bargain bin. I think a Venables, Norvell-type is much more likely. Although, as I've said before, if I was Currie, I'd make Stoops get a restraining order against me first.

Definitely a proven bonafide HC and young enough to not be retired for good. Gonna command the big bucks though for sure. He really rubbed me the wrong way after that home Oklahoma loss. I can't remember what he said but it ticked me off big time.

Although a young up and comer is more risky, he would have a better tenure. I know we don't need risk at this time, but think of a coach like what Dabo did.

Well, everyone keeps boasting about how we have these rich boosters all over the place. So if you believe that and they want Gruden then I believe they can get him. I think he’s going to want $9+ million annually.

More like 10-12. Gruden is a pipe dream, at best.

So basically its Kelly or bust. Gruden is a pipe dream. Patterson isnt leaving TCU. The rest of the list no thanks

Stoops or Venables (if I spelled that right). I'd take either today. I don't think Kelly will come here, but I may be wrong.

My opinion (worth less than what I'm charging you for it) is they will start in fantasy land and and work downward

Gruden will politely decline

Peyton will decline

Stoops will take at least another year off

Chip will prob wait for a better fit, someone who doesn't play Bama annually

I'd predict we end up with Venables

History shows that we will continue to shop in the bargain bin. I think a Venables, Norvell-type is much more likely. Although, as I've said before, if I was Currie, I'd make Stoops get a restraining order against me first.

I'd say even Venables is a stretch

Stoops or Venables (if I spelled that right). I'd take either today. I don't think Kelly will come here, but I may be wrong.

Venebles looks like a potential home run.

Not in response to your post but I have never seen a PJ Fleck coached game so have no comment on him.

What about Malzahn? I'm sure he would love to get out of the West and out of Saban's shadow.
Say what you will, but the guy can coach and basically designed/perfected what everyone is currently trying to run with the spread

What about Malzahn? I'm sure he would love to get out of the West and out of Saban's shadow.
Say what you will, but the guy can coach and basically designed/perfected what everyone is currently trying to run with the spread

Auburn stuck with him through a rough patch, I'd say he will remember that.

Patterson is my vote but don't think he will leave. The only thing Mullen has proven to me is that he can coach QB's.... Whatever we do can the coach please be proven on one side or the other. Butch and Dooley weren't offensive or defensive guys
I Always prefer Defensive Coaches.

scott frost

My first choice. Need to move on him before Nebraska. His team is playing tough, team ball. He has OC experience and knows how to win. Plus he has both west coast and south east recruiting ties, especially Florida. Nebraska seems like the dream job, but does he really want to go back and get criticized when they lose a game they should have won? Would he prefer keeping the hero image at UN and coach somewhere else?

I look for Chip Kelly or Bob Stoops to be replacing Kevin Sumlin at Texas A&M. That Oil money will get them at the top of coaching searches at seasons end. Plus regionally Stoops has been a recruiting power in Texas. And we all know Kelly isn't the best recruiter as he is more schematics guy. In Texas he can fill a roster to be successful. So we will end up being the 2nd or 3rd most appealing job at seasons end. IMHO.

Mike. Gundy.

Going to sing this song until I am told to shut up. Great coach. Tons of experience developing average talent at a Big 12 school. He's the guy.

Let's Shop!

Gary Patterson
"Patterson has led the TCU Horned Frogs to six conference championships—one Conference USA title in 2002; four Mountain West Conference titles in 2005, 2009, 2010 and 2011; and one Big 12 Conference title in 2014—and nine bowl game victories—including victories in the 2011 Rose Bowl and 2014 Peach Bowl. His 2010 squad finished the season undefeated at 13–0 after a 21-19 Rose Bowl victory over the Wisconsin Badgers on New Year's Day 2011, and ranked second in the final tallying of both major polls."

He’s nearly 60 he’s not leaving to start over this late in his career

Chris Peterson:
Currently the head coach at the University of Washington.
Previously the head coach for eight seasons at Boise State University, Petersen guided the Broncos to two BCS bowl wins: the 2007 and 2010 Fiesta Bowls. He is the first two-time winner of the Paul "Bear" Bryant Award, which he won in 2006 and 2009. Petersen also won the Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Award in 2010.

I’m all for this hire. He’s a hell of a coach and gets the most out of his players

Bobby Petrino
Petrino has directed his college teams to nine bowl games, including the first Bowl Championship Series (BCS) bowl games for both the Louisville Cardinals and the Arkansas Razorbacks. His college teams have achieved four 10-win seasons along with six top-25 finishes.

No, to much baggage

Tee Martin-You already know.
He is the current offensive coordinator for the University of Southern California Trojans.

He’s not leaving SC and with Helton in hot water potentially he’s in a good spot. I don’t want him around Tennessee since he can find nothing good to say about the University

Chip Kelly
He was a head coach in the National Football League (NFL) twice, with the Philadelphia Eagles from 2013 until 2015, and with the San Francisco 49ers in 2016. Before coaching in the NFL, he was the head coach of the Oregon Ducks from 2009 to 2012, leading the program to four consecutive BCS bowl game appearances including the 2011 BCS National Championship Game.

This would be an A++ hire and would bring life back to the program and put us back in the national spot light. That said he’d do well here if I thought he’d stay around long enough

Gruden (yes, again)
He was the head coach of the Oakland Raiders and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, winning Super Bowl XXXVII in 2003 in his first year with the Buccaneers (defeating the Raiders, who had traded him to Tampa Bay the previous off-season). At the time, Gruden was the youngest head coach ever to win a Super Bowl at age 39 years old.

No, if he won’t budge for any NFL team why would he even entertain a college offer? He gets paid very well to watch games and talk football far from the stress of HC

Dan Mullen
Prior to his hiring at Mississippi State, Mullen served as offensive coordinator at the University of Florida and was also under Urban Meyer at the University of Utah, where he was quarterback coach of the Utes during their undefeated 2004 season. He developed quarterback Alex Smith into the number 1 overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft. After Meyer left to take the head coaching position at Florida, Mullen served as the interim offensive coordinator during Utah's Fiesta Bowl victory over Pitt. During his tenure at Utah, he also recruited and partially developed Brian Johnson, a QB who led Utah to 13–0 and a Sugar Bowl victory in 2009.[4] He also served as quarterback coach under Meyer at Bowling Green in 2001–02.

As a coach, Mullen has tutored several notable players, including quarterbacks Smith (Utah), Josh Harris (Bowling Green), Chris Leak (Florida), Heisman Trophy-winner Tim Tebow (Florida), and Dak Prescott (Mississippi State).

Mullen, along with former San Francisco 49ers head coach Chip Kelly, and former Winnipeg Blue Bombers offensive coordinator Gary Crowton, are part of the so-called "New Hampshire mafia" as they all have strong connections to New Hampshire.[5]

This is who i would send a brinks truck for. The thoughts of him at UF is a complete nightmare for Tennessee

Or....

We can hire within on the cheap. Interesting times to be a Vol, same as it ever was.

Your thoughts?

Bolded

Most of these are unrealistic either due to age, job status, or other considerations.

Actual candidates

Brent Venables
Scott Frost (risky w/ Nebraska's situation)
Tee Martin
Mike Norvell
Chip Kelly
Mike McIntyre
Dave Doeren (mixed track record at NC State)
Scott Saterfield
Dan Mullen

Completely unrealistic candidates

Jon Gruden (he's never coaching again people)
Gary Patterson (should've gone after him in '08; too late now)
Bobby Petrino (we're not stooping that low; and we'd be trading a few years of winning for long-term issues)
Chris Peterson (already has a Tier 1 job in his home region)

The real problem with firing Butch isn't that he doesn't deserve it at this point. It's that we're not guaranteed to get a better replacement. This is even more true if we have to compete with another major program for a marquee hire.

I'd favor going after Brent Venables, though, personally.

My opinion (worth less than what I'm charging you for it) is they will start in fantasy land and and work downward

Gruden will politely decline

Peyton will decline

Stoops will take at least another year off

Chip will prob wait for a better fit, someone who doesn't play Bama annually

I'd predict we end up with Venables

That's just another name most fans will have to Google same as we did with Butch. 15 year old kids have never heard of him. Got to do better.

Mike. Gundy.

Going to sing this song until I am told to shut up. Great coach. Tons of experience developing average talent at a Big 12 school. He's the guy.

T Boone Pickens say's I'll see your offer and raise it $10 million

no bs Brent venables in my opinion is really the reason Clemson is great these days, he's the one that took them from 9-3 and 10-2 to competing for playoffs.

VN Store

Back