Other head coach options (merged)

I would add

James Franklin

Yes we would have to throw some money at him, but anybody that can win 9 games in back to back seasons at Vanderbilt is a really good football coach. He also seems to have taken Penn State to exactly where we want to take Tennessee football having won a conference championship last year and competing for a playoff position this year. I personally think he should have been hired (or at least in the conversation) after the 2012 season when we hired Butch. After all he had just finished a 9-4 (5-3) season at Vanderbilt. I don't know why he wasn't considered more seriously then, and I don't know why people are talking about him as a potential coach now. Pay the money and bring this proven winner to Rocky Top!!!!!

i WANT Brent Venables GREAT DEFENSIVE MIND AND GREAT RECRUITER. Brent Venables AS HEAD COACH AND TEE MARTIN AS OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR. WE WOULD BE GREAT AT RECRUITING!!!!

Honestly, it’s a shame we hate Lane Kiffin so much. He is ripe for the taking but I don’t think I could stomach it...

With the players on this roster......I would take kiffen in a hurry. Give him an off-season with QD and he gets drafted. Plus it would piss bammers and Saban off. He should come here for cheap after what happened.

Brent Venables. Very proven long tract record coaching at a high level. 18 seasons between coaching at Oklahoma and Clemson. Coached at Kansas St before that (where he played). Broyles award winner last season. Multiple national championship winner.

Defensive minded coach in a league that HAS to emphasize defense first. Has to, in order to compete at high level. WOULD BRING DAN BROOKS WITH HIM BACK TO UT, who was probably one of UTs best coaches ever. Brooks recruited Virginia, the Carolinas and surrounding for the Big Orange for years and develop All America talent across the Dline for years at UT. Put numerous Dlinemen in the NFL year after year. Tennessee has not be competitive in the SEC since Dan Brooks left with Fulmer's firing.

Venables has many connections to other top coaches throughout college football and would have ZERO trouble assembling a reputable staff.

He has what it takes to recruit and coach in this part of the country. Where UT has to reestablish their foothold garnering top talent from this region of the country.

I would add

James Franklin

Yes we would have to throw some money at him, but anybody that can win 9 games in back to back seasons at Vanderbilt is a really good football coach. He also seems to have taken Penn State to exactly where we want to take Tennessee football having won a conference championship last year and competing for a playoff position this year. I personally think he should have been hired (or at least in the conversation) after the 2012 season when we hired Butch. After all he had just finished a 9-4 (5-3) season at Vanderbilt. I don't know why he wasn't considered more seriously then, and I don't know why people are talking about him as a potential coach now. Pay the money and bring this proven winner to Rocky Top!!!!!

Umm, he has a top 5 team at a top 5 program. Do you really believe Tennessee is a bigger program than Penn State?

Umm, he has a top 5 team at a top 5 program. Do you really believe Tennessee is a bigger program than Penn State?

I would love Franklin here. He would come back in a few years. He's from there so it's not likely he come now but it's been said he was very unhappy with Vandy for making it look like he tried to cover up the problems while he was there.
Before his career is over I think he'd like to beat Vandy every year for 5-10 years

Here's my list in order of desire and in tiers

Longshots
1. Jon Gruden (feel like this must be mentioned, or else it's not a true list, lol)
2. Chip Kelly (would be a splash hire, but not all in on him)
3. Bob Stoops (the guy just retired, he's not coming)
4. Lincoln Riley (best upcoming coach in the country, but would never leave Oklahoma)

Much more likely
1. Bobby Petrino (has been on good behavior, hugged the cactus long enough, Louisville is falling apart. Would do well here)
2. Scott Frost (doing good things at UCF)
3. Charlie Strong (Texas was a bad setup from the get go)
4. Rocky Long (dude is old, but has San Diego State running it down people's throats)
5. Justin Wilcox (I'd take him. He's building Cal really well, and was great on defense)
6. Justin Fuente (has VT in the top 20, doing a great job)
7. DJ Durkin (definitely an up and coming coach)
8. Brent Venables

Last edited:
i WANT Brent Venables GREAT DEFENSIVE MIND AND GREAT RECRUITER. Brent Venables AS HEAD COACH AND TEE MARTIN AS OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR. WE WOULD BE GREAT AT RECRUITING!!!!

This is the guy. If we are real about all the talk of doing it right. If we want a grown up in here ready to go against the best. A lot of folks saying he is in line for the next head coach at Clemson and he's not going anywhere though, and that makes sense to me. It will take a lot of green to get this done. Kevin Steele would get a look from me too.

Here's my list in order of desire and in tiers

Longshots
1. Jon Gruden (feel like this must be mentioned, or else it's not a true list, lol)
2. Chip Kelly (would be a splash hire, but not all in on him)
3. Bob Stoops (the guy just retired, he's not coming)
4. Lincoln Riley (best upcoming coach in the country, but would never leave Oklahoma)

Much more likely
1. Bobby Petrino (has been on good behavior, hugged the cactus long enough, Louisville is falling apart. Would do well here)
2. Scott Frost (doing good things at UCF)
3. Charlie Strong (Texas was a bad setup from the get go)
4. Rocky Long (dude is old, but has San Diego State running it down people's throats)
5. Justin Wilcox (I'd take him. He's building Cal really well, and was great on defense)
6. Justin Fuente (has VT in the top 20, doing a great job)
7. DJ Durkin (definitely an up and coming coach)

Riley won't leave OU at the moment and they will pay to keep him unless a complete and total implosion happens this year. I wanted him as OC the year Butch picked up Debord. Yeah, about that...

Why would Chip come here? To be run out on a rail in 3 years...CBJ was experienced and had won everywhere he'd been so now we want a higher caliber Hal Mumme type or maybe Guy Morriss? Well, at UK he did almost beat Nick Saban at LSU...almost. But we can't even beat or score on a 2nd year Head Coached team.

Chip Kelly would win the East in his first year and would be best coach in the East by a long shot. Dude wins. Period.

Somebody ought to work up a Venn diagram when it comes to coaching prospects, who's available, who would come, and who we would want. It would narrow the speculation considerably, and if nothing else spare us from seeing the name Gruden again.

I would add

James Franklin

First off I'm under impression the higher ups were afraid of perception had the Coach of Vanderbilt turned down the Tennessee job. That would have been awful so they decided not to risk it. And now no way he would come here and it's mutual. He has it rolling at a perennial power with tons of instate recruiting talent to build rosters. And our people wouldn't consider him with us just settling the Title IX deal and he showed negligence in the Vandy Rape Case.

VN Store

Back