Oral history of the Derek Dooley era at Tennessee

Don't think I was alone

You weren't. I pulled for the creep up until he was fired but I realized UT needed a change after the Miss State game......he was a horrible game manager, horrible recruiter, horrible talent evaluator and horrible personality.

Reactions: 2 people
Article made me question Dave Hart even more.

He was going to keep Dooley if he beat Vanderbilt. In addition, he was instrumental in bringing Sal Sunseri over. It looks like a lot of people around the SEC knew Sunseri's only talent was cursing and that he wasn't coordinator material.

I never fell for "britches" or "looking for Rommel". The man wasn't winning - his pressers were silly. It looked like he was trying to audition for Saturday Night Live instead of coaching the Vols.

Reactions: 1 person
You would think that in the fine writing of the contract, Dooley had to have breached something just by being so awful. If you do not recruit a single O-Line player, that is detrimental to a football team that rotates players so often. We are STILL paying him a massive amount of money to have ran a team into the ground. Is there nothing in the contract that states a minimum quota for that type of stuff?

The biggest WTF moments to me were Derek Dooley's recruiting. Recruiting is the lifeblood to any program. You have to be able to recruit and recruit at a high level, especially at Tennessee. To be that lazy and incompetent in recruiting.

The huge takeaway from that article to me is this: After so many in that article talked about how terrible Dooley was to people and how dismissive and rude he was to alumni and former players. What the hell was Mike Hamilton doing in the Dooley interview???? Sleeping? Was he drunk? I mean, what the hell. Maybe Dooley walked in on Hamilton and a farm animal. I don't know. It's impossible to figure out. So glad that era is over.

My guess is that Hamilton, while being very inept to run a major athletic department, was thrown for a loop when LK up and left out of the blue. Yes, yes there were holes that MH left wide open ie being told USC was his dream job yet MH did nothing to make sure if this came up we were covered, but he was in a bind at a bad time to find a coach right before recruiting. Dooley said all the bling words that MH wanted to hear as well as having previous coaching experience so he went with it. Of course, MH failed the first rule of management and that being having a file of names ready at any point in the event of a departure.

I forgot that Dooley went into media silence mode after the UK loss in 2011. That's just inexcusable. That was right around the time Cuonzo was losing to Austin Peay and College of Charleston in basketball as well. Dark, dark time to be a Vols fan in the winter of 2011/early 2012.

The biggest WTF moments to me were Derek Dooley's recruiting. Recruiting is the lifeblood to any program. You have to be able to recruit and recruit at a high level, especially at Tennessee. To be that lazy and incompetent in recruiting.

But I thought he recruited and was the reason Justin Hunter and Rogers came to UT

Just makes me appreciate Butch all that much more. Dooley was a train wreck from day 1. Or, to put it in Dooley's terms, day 0.

Reactions: 3 people
I think there are enough Dooley stories to fill a book.

I would love for someone to take the time to write one, even a short eBook or something. I'd pay for it for sure.

There are stories from all over the country that could make for a series of great books. Kiffin at UT and USC; Rich Rod at Michigan; Petrino's last year into Smith's lone year at Arkansas; Price at Alabama; Weis at Notre Dame; Faust at Notre Dame.

Dooley's time at Tennessee would probably provide the most WTF moments.

I still remember very vividly the numerous threads and posts declaring "we got the right guy", "He wants it", etc.

I laugh now at the posts about how Alabama fans were saying Dooley was the right hire and the posts worried that UGA would steal him away.

And of course the moronic "He was the only one who would take the job" posts, like he was making some huge freakin' sacrifice.

Reactions: 3 people
I still remember very vividly the numerous threads and posts declaring "we got the right guy", "He wants it", etc.

I laugh now at the posts about how Alabama fans were saying Dooley was the right hire and the posts worried that UGA would steal him away.

And of course the moronic "He was the only one who would take the job" posts, like he was making some huge freakin' sacrifice.

Some of them are now acting as though they hated him the whole time lol

Reactions: 2 people
Derek Dooley just doesn't have what it takes to be a head coach and Vol fans are not going to forget it anytime soon......Dooley hurt UT

Those expensive orange pants looked disgusting on stick man, but he did have the hair......

VN Store

Back