Oral history of the Derek Dooley era at Tennessee

That's one hell of a strawman argument you just made, because not one person is criticizing him for taking the job; we're criticizing the decision to give him the job in the first place, and how he handled it.

so you are putting the blame on the A.D....as you should. Dooley couldn't get it done, but don't drive the man to suicide because he wasn't ready for the job offered him. I gotta go.

On that note...good luck with your basketball situation. That coach won't work. Can't believe you didn't pick up Archie Miller. Hope it works out, but just don't see it.

Oh....I guess you're not really a Vol fan then; well good luck with your Ole Miss team. I'm sure you have more arguments to get to about how they were really the best team in the nation last year.

Reactions: 3 people
so you are putting the blame on the A.D....as you should. Dooley couldn't get it done, but don't drive the man to suicide because he wasn't ready for the job offered him. I gotta go.

Question, which is higher, Dooley's SEC winning percentage or your IQ?

now you having a B.S. moment, or you just weren't around BEFORE. Because UT is much bigger then that.

Malzahn was just a high school coach...before his star rose and he wasn't. La Tech ain't much of a step up...so whoa on the "much bigger" part.

The man still hasn't collected all his reward money for failure...no Brooksie moment in the cards.

Oh....I guess you're not really a Vol fan then; well good luck with your Ole Miss team. I'm sure you have more arguments to get to about how they were really the best team in the nation last year.

He couldn't stay in character. :). The "you guys" thing always gives them away. :w00t:

ugh. I'm not a big basketball fan. I only watch the last few rounds.

DoubleD's,

I want to go back to your take on Dooley's offensive acumen. If he's such a brilliant offensive mind, why has no team, college or pro, ever given him an offensive coordinator position?

Reactions: 1 person
On that note...good luck with your basketball situation. That coach won't work. Can't believe you didn't pick up Archie Miller. Hope it works out, but just don't see it.

Starts by calling Dooley a "brilliant offensive mind", follows up by saying "I'm out" and writing 5 more posts, ends by endorsing Archie Miller over a guy that's been to the Final Four.

Legendary.

Reactions: 2 people
Every vol fan should read this article. Dooley was a train wreck, and was hired for his name. The article allows you to see the state the program was in after Kiffin and then after Dooley. It makes you appreciate the job jones is doing.

Dooley hit the jackpot. I seriously doubt VN is going to drive the man to hang himself. :lolabove:

i-cGrzJVm-XL.jpg

Sorry, DoubleDs, it's just not selling. Dooley wasn't just the wrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time...he sucked.

Was clueless.
Was mean-spirited.
Was self-centered and egotistical.
Was belittling.
Was exclusive, rather than inclusive.

In short, was an idiot, totally out of his element. It's not his lack of football acumen, it's his utter and complete lack of leadership and inter-personal skills.

Dooley sucked.

p.s. Yes, several H.S. coaches could probably have done a much better job than Dooley. Not that any of them were good enough to be successful at Tennessee, only that they would do a better job than Dooley did. Because a lot of Tennessee's H.S. coaches have real leadership skills.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Starts by calling Dooley a "brilliant offensive mind", follows up by saying "I'm out" and writing 5 more posts, ends by endorsing Archie Miller over a guy that's been to the Final Four.

Legendary.

I think the motorboatin' SOB suffered a concussion last night! 😂

i remember when they hired him, i told my dad, "this isn't gonna work, but it's not going to be his fault".

he was what, 8th, 9th call made? hired w/in 3 days or whatever....at that time, UT was toxic to head coaches....i agree with the statement made in the article...when Cut said no, that's when you knew it was bad....he was just the 1st one to answer and say "yes".

no recruiting class to speak of, the guys Kiffin brought in flamed out. and Mike Hamilton made a bad decision hiring Dooley because he made a bad decision in hiring Kiffin. i put most of this on Mike Hamilton...just bad decision after bad decision.

and yeah, dooley was terrible.

Reactions: 1 person
From everything I've read, it wasn't so much the policy, it was that Dooley was a huge d-bag about it. It seemed to be more about making sure everyone knew he was in charge.

As the article said, the consensus is Dooley acted like Saban but hadn't earned the clout to do that, so in the end he was just a jerk.

Nick Saban has a very dry personality but you can tell he's very knowledgeable. Dooley on the other hand tried to cover his lack of knowledge by being an A-hole.

Here it is
chapter 1: the hype
chapter 2: the promises
Chapter 3: he sucks
chapter 4: the contract ext
chapter 5: the matresses burn in knoxville
chapter 6: end game

Then Butch rides through a thick cloud of rumors.
Here we are

VN Store

Back