Ole Miss can do it....why can't we?

Easier?

You are aware Ole Miss plays in the SEC West correct?

They played 5 ranked teams in 2012 and 3 were from the SEC West. In 2013 they played 4 ranked teams and only 3 were from the SEC West. Nothing compared to the schedule we played last year.

Impressed with Jones recruiting so far and starting to be impressed with on field coaching but team took big step back today. Don't know what to think now.

I was watching the Ole piss gm and was wondering the same damn thing. Man I dread when we have to play them and Bama.

In the SEC west.

Remember who we played last season: Alabama, Auburn, South Carolina and Missouri (all finished in top 10) Oregon, Georgia . Again, Hugh Freeze and Ole Miss schedule was no comparison his first and second season.

I've seen folks compare our team to Auburn and wonder why we can't have instant success. Definitely apples & oranges comparison, as Auburn is only a few years removed from a NC and never really had a noticeable downturn in recruiting.

Ole Miss on the other hand could be an interesting comparison. Here's their record in year's past.

Year - W/L - Recruit Rank (per Rivals)
2005 - 3-8 - 30 (Ed O.)
2006 - 4-8 - 15 (Ed O.)
2007 - 3-9 - 27 (Ed O.)
2008 - 9-4 - 29 (Nutt)
2009 - 9-4 - 18 (Nutt)
2010 - 4-8 - 18 (Nutt)
2011 - 2-10 - 19 (Nutt)
2012 - 7-6 - 40 (Freeze)
2013 - 8-5 - 7 (Freeze)
2014 - 5-0 - 33 (Freeze) as of today, 10-4-14

If you're still a fan frequenting this site and reading this post, you are a die hard fan and KNOW our record, recruiting rankings, etc. so I won't go to the trouble of posting that information. It's interesting that both Houston Nutt & Hugh Freeze had good success right off the bat despite previous season woes and the respective dumpster fires they likely inherited (I don't follow them, so I'm assuming). Freeze went bowling two years in a row and is having a STELLAR start to 2014 with an upset against #1 ranked Alabama. We keep hearing about how bad our team has been, gonna be a 5 year rebuilding process, etc. etc. I'm curious why we can't have moderate success in year 2, certainly by year 3, when at other programs in similar circumstances (at least from the surface) coaches do have said success.

Thoughts?

I'd say Better players and a much better coaching staff at this point. Tennessee sure as hell ain't beating Alabama anytime soon.

Our staff is getting schooled in every SEC game. Worley said in the interview reason for sacks, no one was open. Reason no one was open, they showed a defensive scheme we had not seen all year. No blame on the Oline.

Our staff is getting schooled in every SEC game. Worley said in the interview reason for sacks, no one was open. Reason no one was open, they showed a defensive scheme we had not seen all year. No blame on the Oline.

We'll then the ball should be handed off and ran down field with the online blocking. Receivers were poem all day , online couldn't block long enough for Worley to find his man .

Impressed with Jones recruiting so far and starting to be impressed with on field coaching but team took big step back today. Don't know what to think now.

That we still don't have an offensive line? A QB can't deliver passes if he's under duress the second he touches the ball. The few times he had more than half a second to make his reads, he typically found someone.

We'll then the ball should be handed off and ran down field with the online blocking. Receivers were poem all day , online couldn't block long enough for Worley to find his man .

We threw one slant pass today

That's how you slow down the rush

I don't want a QB that publicly says "My OL sucks guys bottom line."

Hmmmmmm then Worley is suspect because he was frequently off target today and I was attributing that to the premature collapse of the pocket.

I've seen folks compare our team to Auburn and wonder why we can't have instant success. Definitely apples & oranges comparison, as Auburn is only a few years removed from a NC and never really had a noticeable downturn in recruiting.

Ole Miss on the other hand could be an interesting comparison. Here's their record in year's past.

Year - W/L - Recruit Rank (per Rivals)
2005 - 3-8 - 30 (Ed O.)
2006 - 4-8 - 15 (Ed O.)
2007 - 3-9 - 27 (Ed O.)
2008 - 9-4 - 29 (Nutt)
2009 - 9-4 - 18 (Nutt)
2010 - 4-8 - 18 (Nutt)
2011 - 2-10 - 19 (Nutt)
2012 - 7-6 - 40 (Freeze)
2013 - 8-5 - 7 (Freeze)
2014 - 5-0 - 33 (Freeze) as of today, 10-4-14

If you're still a fan frequenting this site and reading this post, you are a die hard fan and KNOW our record, recruiting rankings, etc. so I won't go to the trouble of posting that information. It's interesting that both Houston Nutt & Hugh Freeze had good success right off the bat despite previous season woes and the respective dumpster fires they likely inherited (I don't follow them, so I'm assuming). Freeze went bowling two years in a row and is having a STELLAR start to 2014 with an upset against #1 ranked Alabama. We keep hearing about how bad our team has been, gonna be a 5 year rebuilding process, etc. etc. I'm curious why we can't have moderate success in year 2, certainly by year 3, when at other programs in similar circumstances (at least from the surface) coaches do have said success.

Thoughts?

Because Butch got left with Dooley's players...Nothing else needs to be said.

I'd say Better players and a much better coaching staff at this point. Tennessee sure as hell ain't beating Alabama anytime soon.

Probably also thought we would not be any where close to knocking the team off in 2009 either. You know they play the game for a reason, anything can happen injuries, bad calls, bad play calling, stupid mistakes.

Why are we where we are today? One word: DOOLEY. He recruited zero offensive linemen 3 years ago. Therefore, we suffer today because of his transgressions.

Kiffin is the only reason we had Dooley and we only had Kiffin because of Fulmer's poor last few seasons

Probably also thought we would not be any where close to knocking the team off in 2009 either. You know they play the game for a reason, anything can happen injuries, bad calls, bad play calling, stupid mistakes.

So you got UT over Bama in a few weeks?

VN Store

Back