Ole Miss can do it....why can't we?

VolFan4Life87

Negatron
I've seen folks compare our team to Auburn and wonder why we can't have instant success. Definitely apples & oranges comparison, as Auburn is only a few years removed from a NC and never really had a noticeable downturn in recruiting.

Ole Miss on the other hand could be an interesting comparison. Here's their record in year's past.

Year - W/L - Recruit Rank (per Rivals)
2005 - 3-8 - 30 (Ed O.)
2006 - 4-8 - 15 (Ed O.)
2007 - 3-9 - 27 (Ed O.)
2008 - 9-4 - 29 (Nutt)
2009 - 9-4 - 18 (Nutt)
2010 - 4-8 - 18 (Nutt)
2011 - 2-10 - 19 (Nutt)
2012 - 7-6 - 40 (Freeze)
2013 - 8-5 - 7 (Freeze)
2014 - 5-0 - 33 (Freeze) as of today, 10-4-14

If you're still a fan frequenting this site and reading this post, you are a die hard fan and KNOW our record, recruiting rankings, etc. so I won't go to the trouble of posting that information. It's interesting that both Houston Nutt & Hugh Freeze had good success right off the bat despite previous season woes and the respective dumpster fires they likely inherited (I don't follow them, so I'm assuming). Freeze went bowling two years in a row and is having a STELLAR start to 2014 with an upset against #1 ranked Alabama. We keep hearing about how bad our team has been, gonna be a 5 year rebuilding process, etc. etc. I'm curious why we can't have moderate success in year 2, certainly by year 3, when at other programs in similar circumstances (at least from the surface) coaches do have said success.

Thoughts?

Reactions: 2 people
Because, as another poster so eloquently stated, we have matadors for offensive lineman. Worley is getting consistent pressure with a four-man rush. Bring five and he's a standing target. I'll be surprised if he makes it through the year without getting seriously injured.

We won't beat anyone of significance if we can't run the ball or protect our quarterback, no matter how well our defense plays. Today's game illustrates the fact that unless we're playing a glorified high school team, we're going to need a lot of luck to make it to a bowl game.

Reactions: 4 people
Why are we where we are today? One word: DOOLEY. He recruited zero offensive linemen 3 years ago. Therefore, we suffer today because of his transgressions.

Reactions: 2 people
Why are we where we are today? One word: DOOLEY. He recruited zero offensive linemen 3 years ago. Therefore, we suffer today because of his transgressions.

VN posters think that freshman and Juco players will "season" after 4 games and should be referred to as 'veterans'...

He took a terrible Ole Miss bowling in his first 2 years.

With a much easier schedule than what CBJ has had his first 2 years. It's all relative to the schedule you play. Vandy went to bowl games under Franklin because they played a joke non conference schedule every year he was there

With a much easier schedule than what CBJ has had his first 2 years. It's all relative to the schedule you play. Vandy went to bowl games under Franklin because they played a joke non conference schedule every year he was there

Easier?

You are aware Ole Miss plays in the SEC West correct?

Reactions: 3 people
Ask this question next year when CBJ has two full recruiting classes on the field...and classes that weren't purchased

VN Store

Back