Official What Are You Going to Do If

Lol. Race thing? It's never gonna end is it? Media will not let it.

I read that if Obama doesn't win the election blacks were gonna riot. Whose the racist?

Did whites riot when he won 4 years ago?

Lol. Race thing? It's never gonna end is it? Media will not let it.

I read that if Obama doesn't win the election blacks were gonna riot. Whose the racist?

Did whites riot when he won 4 years ago?

(I don't hold this view, especially as a TN fan who is constantly in contact with and enjoys chatting with southern Americans) but, UK's vision of America and the election in a nutshell:

South = hillbillies = racist = vote for Romney

North = less racist people = vote for Obama

UK perception = USA is still in the midst of the civil rights movement way back to the time of the Jim Crow laws. Therefore it was a shock Obama won.

(I don't hold this view, especially as a TN fan who is constantly in contact with and enjoys chatting with southern Americans) but, UK's vision of America and the election in a nutshell:

UK perception = USA is still in the midst of the civil rights movement way back to the time of the Jim Crow laws. Therefore it was a shock Obama won.

Far too simplistic. There are racists everywhere. Believe the best answer goes back to states rights, which you heard already, but the modern Republican party doesn't do a whole hell of a lot for states rights.

Far too simplistic. There are racists everywhere. Believe the best answer goes back to states rights, which you heard already, but the modern Republican party doesn't do a whole hell of a lot for states rights.

A lot of the red on the map in the south is also tied directly to religious beliefs IMO. The GOP's conservative platform lines up in lock-step with the southern baptist stance on social issues such as being anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage. I know plenty of churchgoers who will be voting with those exact things in mind, even though they are nowhere near the top of the list of important issues in 2012.

Reactions: 2 people
A lot of the red on the map in the south is also tied directly to religious beliefs IMO. The GOP's conservative platform lines up in lock-step with the southern baptist stance on social issues such as being anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage. I know plenty of churchgoers who will be voting with those exact things in mind, even though they are nowhere near the top of the list of important issues in 2012.

Agreed 100%

agree .

I know several.people that vote GOP because of their Pro Life stance.
Now that Obama says he is okay with Gay Marriage that will make the bible belt- GOP bond even tighter

They couldn't until Obama Care kicked in.

One way or another this country is paying for the uninsured's health care. Whether through insurance premiums directly or through hospital bills being inflated so that hospitals can pay for uninsured patients (which is ultimately rolled into insuranc premiums) we all pay for it.

The debate isn't whether or not we SHOULD have to pay for the uninsured in this current system - it's how to best distribute and lower those costs.

NOW, if you want to debate whether or not you SHOULD have to pay for the uninsured - which you can - you basically have to argue that doctors and hospitals should be able to refuse all treatment to those that can't pay. But then you basicallly have to advocate for letting people die in the street.

Agree up to here.

I know, I know - as long as they don't die in the womb, it's all good.

Nice dig at conservatives.

Seriously though - some believe that by providing insurance to more - you ultimately drive down costs by allowing the insured to get treatment for things before they become EXPENSIVE to treat - i.e. physicals to catch pre-diabeties, vacinations to prevent disease, antibiotics to treat an infection before it turns into pneumonia that requires expensive hospitilization.

Will it work - debatable for sure. I have insurance and they SUCK at providing preventative care. The system is slanted to treating disease after they occur, not preventing.

However, to sit back and think that we're not going to all bear the burdern of an uninsured person's health care is just wrong under the current scheme.

I don't agree here. It doesn't drive down costs. It will never drive down costs. It is almost a non factor in price compared to other factors.

Agree up to here.

Nice dig at conservatives.

I don't agree here. It doesn't drive down costs. It will never drive down costs. It is almost a non factor in price compared to other factors.[/QUOTE/]

Let me add - Insurance alone will not fix things. Insurance has to be done right.

Insurance with free preventative care and high deductibles for other services. Think that would be a good start. Even people with insurance need more skin in the game so heh don't run to the doctor every time the cough.

Fair enough - what will drive costs down?

Let me add - Insurance alone will not fix things. Insurance has to be done right.

Insurance with free preventative care and high deductibles for other services. Think that would be a good start. Even people with insurance need more skin in the game so heh don't run to the doctor every time the cough.

1) The buyer and seller must engage in a the actual economic transaction of healthcare.

2) The healthiness of America has got to change. We are unbelievably unhealthy. It is pretty incredible. Beyond pathetic.

3) Tort reform needs to happen.

4) Finally, the most important thing is that healthcare cannot be looked at as a right.

stephenk --

Just my opinion, but I think there is a strong correlation, both in the U.S. and around much of the world, between rural society and socially conservative beliefs, particularly when it comes to religion. I'm sure most here will tell you of the value (or lack thereof) of much of government service in rural areas, which actually carries a decent amount of validity, but in my opinion, the move of the Democratic party towards secularism and the re-branding of the GOP as the party of the Judeo-Christian God put the south firmly in the favor of Republicans. At least it's just my personal opinion that stands out among many other factors.

Reactions: 1 person

Wow Stephen ......so the UK thinks we're a bunch of racist hillbillies here in the south? That's ok I guess because we typically think the UK has a severe shortage of dentists and oral hygiene products.....

Wow Stephen ......so the UK thinks we're a bunch of racist hillbillies here in the south? That's ok I guess because we typically think the UK has a severe shortage of dentists and oral hygiene products.....

To say everyone does would be a lie. It is a common stereotype though.

VN Store

Back