Official WBB NCAA tournament thread 2024

Well if we doing shoulds, UCONN should have got the rebound of the Caitlin Clark rebound. They still had a chance and blew it. They can't blame that on the refs.
Not saying they didn’t have opportunities but there were some bad ones being a realist

I wanted Iowa to win bc I don’t think Uconn can beat SC or make it a game

Last edited:
How did she get from where she was at 5.8 sec to where the contact took place at 4.9 sec without moving? Go look and THEN tell me she was in the same established position.

If there was anything illegal about that pick, it was on the completely trivial end of the illegal screen spectrum. Beyond that, there is a LONG tradition in basketball of NOT making picky, borderline, questionabke calls in the last seconds of a tight game. There is a LONG history of letting the players decide the outcome in the last seconds--not an official's call. And that unspoken rule was violated.

Anybody who's been around basketball for a long time will recognize that call: it was a high school call. The kind of dubious call we've all seen many times in high-school games.

Other than Clark, how many top recruits does Iowa have on its team? Any? It seems like a team of Clark + a bunch of well-coached, intelligent
role players. Some good role players, to be sure, but it's not close to a team teeming with individual talent, that's for sure. As our favorite coach, Kim Mulkey noted, what makes Clark great is that she makes everyone on her team better.

And how much NIL money did Iowa's players get when signing or are getting now? I'm betting very little. Clark's surely getting a ton--but
I doubt anyone else is.

I was saddened that AC joined SVP and took a hard position it should not have been called.

Go to 5.8 on the clock and Edwards has set a screen with right foot just below the free throw line extended and left foot 3.5 to 4 ft inside the 3 pt line. But then slides out into the defenders path with the left toe over the line and elbow even further at 4.9 on the clock maintaining contact with the defender. GO LOOK. CASE CLOSED. Won’t even play the you have to keep your arms inside your frame card.
she said it was slightly out the elbow which it was.
They were saying don't call on last play of the game.
Which I say if it's a foul call it doesn't matter time on the clock
I watch sportcenter
Looks like to me see it live Edwards elbow move out right before Iowa player ran into it..
I don't watch much basketball besides Tennessee and some NCAA games.
Sometimes I watch YouTube channel that has women's basketball highlights that are around thirty minutes long.of other teams
I not know all the rules every detail.

Reactions: Max Roguespierre
If there was anything illegal about that pick, it was on the completely trivial end of the illegal screen spectrum. Beyond that, there is a LONG tradition in basketball of NOT making picky, borderline, questionabke calls in the last seconds of a tight game. There is a LONG history of letting the players decide the outcome in the last seconds--not an official's call. And that unspoken rule was violated.

Anybody who's been around basketball for a long time will recognize that call: it was a high school call. The kind of dubious call we've all seen many times in high-school games.
If they don’t whistle that screen, NOBODY would’ve complained about the no call.

Call it sour grapes if you want but to me, Iowa is just a flash in the pan program. They remind me of Mississippi State and Oregon some years back. Where are they now?

Such a fickle fanbase anyway. Where were these people 2 years ago when Iowa was getting beaten by CREIGHTON of all people. Suddenly now they act like they’ve been diehards all along. Give me a break. Most of these fans never cared until the media decided to make college basketball the CC show.

Can't see too many paths to victory for Iowa. SC has the defensive guards to press Clark for the whole game (Kim could have learned from Geno who did so much more with less when it came to containing Clark).

SC has complete dominance in the post. Stuelke is undersized and over matched, I assume that Iowa will use sagging zones and have guards double team Cardosa whenever she gets the ball in the paint. She will still probably get close to 20 and if SC's guards are hitting their 3s on her kick outs, that will probably be game over.

Conversely, Iowa needs SC to have a not great shooting night from outside and they need to be HOT from outside (Like their 4th against Uconn for the whole game hot).

Despite the defensive pressure, Clark still had 4 or 5 open 3s that she bricked and that you would expect her to make (at least 2 for 5). I expect the probabilities will turn in her favor for the final.

I think Clark will need a 30pt, 10+ assist performance for the final to be competitive. SC looks like a juggernaut.

PS. I thought Paige handled the press conference question about the "call" with remarkable poise and grace.

Last edited:
Mugging is more appropriate term. Muhl has her hands all over Clark, hand-checking and holding. Embarrassing officiating and bad look for WCBB.

Bueckers threw an elbow into the rib cage of a defender. Muhl threw a hip into Marshall. The other night, Edwards grabbed and held a player's foot while lying on the floor.

Dirty basketball.
BS creek, the game was called more favorably to Iowa, Geno coached his ass off with fewer bullets to shoot tonight, give it up when it is deserved, have some respect man.

How did she get from where she was at 5.8 sec to where the contact took place at 4.9 sec without moving? Go look and THEN tell me she was in the same established position.
And a couple of times they review to see if Unconn foul .
Which they did.
They didn't review as many Iowa fouls to see if they fouled

Talk about being rob refs missed a double dribble that was part of Kellie getting fired .

The ref was looking right at that double dribble.
Don't know how he miss it.

So I'm notccrying over Unconn
Didn't Unconn win over a bad call a few years ago

Can't see too many paths to victory for Iowa. SC has the defensive guards to press Clark for the whole game (Kim could have learned from Geno who did so much more with less when it came to containing Clark).

SC has complete dominance in the post. Stuelke is undersized and over matched, I assume that Iowa will use sagging zones and have guards double team Cardosa whenever she gets the ball in the paint. She will still probably get close to 20 and if SC's guards are hitting their 3s on her kick outs, that will probably be game over.

Conversely, Iowa needs SC to have a not great shooting night from outside and they need to be HOT from outside (Like their 4th against Uconn for the whole game hot).

Despite the defensive pressure, Clark still had 4 or 5 open 3s that she bricked and that you would expect her to make (at least 2 for 5). I expect the probabilities will turn in her favor for the final.

I think Clark will need a 30pt, 10+ assist performance for the final to be competitive. SC looks like a juggernaut.

PS. I thought Paige handled the press conference question about the "call" with remarkable poise and grace.
If Iowa is down ~10 in the game late, I expect CC to start trying to play hero ball. SC really needs to drive her out of her comfort zones and make her force up bad shots all game.

You’re thinking of the non-call in the Baylor game (E8 in 2021). Baylor had a chance to at least force the game into OT and drove into the lane with seconds left to try and get a basket +1. They missed the bucket and lost the game and there was a lot of back and forth on if a foul should have been called.

Reactions: mudcat1973
You’re thinking of the non-call in the Baylor game (E8 in 2021). Baylor had a chance to at least force the game into OT and drove into the lane with seconds left to try and get a basket +1. They missed the bucket and lost the game and there was a lot of back and forth on if a foul should have been called.
Believe Geno said they they had calls go against them.in other games
So he didn't feel bad about that call g going his Way.

Congrats to Iowa, well deserved win, but also Gratz to UConn, CGA was playing chess all night with fewer pieces, he is the master tactician still, almost pulled it off, but CC is too much for most teams, she is amazing. I suspect the championship game will be very tight, Clark will ensure that, not Bluder, and GA coached his ass off tonight for anyone that recognizes what happened tonight. I think Iowa is going to be very difficult to beat, even for SC, Clark is on another level than all other players, but I would bet on SC if forced to bet.

If Raven is hurt and cannot play at 100%, then big advantage to Iowa imo, she is the SC floor general. She would be the one to guard CC ala Muhl…Cardoso is likely injured some as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: travis929
And a couple of times they review to see if Unconn foul .
Which they did.
They didn't review as many Iowa fouls to see if they fouled

Talk about being rob refs missed a double dribble that was part of Kellie getting fired .

The ref was looking right at that double dribble.
Don't know how he miss it.

So I'm notccrying over Unconn
Education is such an awful thing to waste. You either wasted yours completely or you are trying to play everyone the fool. Guess which one I think is correct?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1reVOLver
This is not about the final seconds, so if that's what you want, look elsewhere, please.

How do I know this is the game thread of a familiar board?

-Lots of remarks about the announcers
-Many expressions of pleasure at historical wrongs being righted
-Childish statements about the physical appearance of some players
-More comments about the refs and their calls than about the game
-Vitriol in abundance

-Just a few commenters offering interesting and insightful statements about the basketball game. You know who you are. Please accept my respectful thanks.

To me, it looked like a foul. Her feet weren’t set, her arms didn’t stay within her body, and she lunged into the defender. She also did it right in front of the ref. The timing of the call is debatable, but I think it was a foul. It just happened at the worst possible time for UConn. Geno coached a great game but it is what it is.

You have become tainted Creek, can no longer be objective.

What have you done with my preciousssss...?

Van Pelt (and, sadly, Draya, who went along with him) was being totally unobjective and unprofessional. He kept on and on about the offensive foul call being the wrong call due to the timing and not the accuracy. He was fanboying about how it was "unfair" to "take away" a great ending from "the viewers" (and "the ladies") and "the chance to see the game decided on the court." What he and ESPN wanted was a big , dramatic, last-second to finish. He even said that he would have been "okay with it" even if the shot had missed. How magnanimous of him.

As a fan, he has the right to be disappointed. We have literally seen national championships decided on last second shots...storybook endings (for the winners, anyway). But this ain't Hollywood. Sometimes players make mistakes and commit fouls, step on end lines, run into kickers, hold opponents by the jerseys...and, yes, double dribble in the worst way.

Van Pelt would have been crying and moaning and saying how "unfair' it was to "rob the viewers" of a great ending in our last game with SC. And then complained loudly about how "the officiating sucked" because they correctly enforced the rules.Think about that. He repeatedly and loudly criticized the refs simply because he didn't get the ending he wanted. That is unprofessional.

Refs are supposed to be impartial. They're not supposed to tip the scales either way. Not calling an infraction they see in front of them is just as bad as calling phantom fouls... especially if they're making or not making calls to set up particular scenarios just to please some fans.

The refs didn't rob anybody of anything. Edwards robbed Van Pelt of his fantasy ending by committing the foul. She's an All-American and an Olympian. She had the choice to make, not the refs. She gambled and lost. Deal with it. Reality isn't always as fun as fantasy. Van Pelt should have either tried to demonstrate that the call was incorrect (not just inconvenient for the preferred script) or have simply ruefully regretted that the game didn't have the drama he wanted to see. Otherwise, he should not have tainted his objective view simply because Old Yeller had to be put down.

BS creek, the game was called more favorably to Iowa, Geno coached his ass off with fewer bullets to shoot tonight, give it up when it is deserved, have some respect man.
Everyone saw tonight the master class CGA did, it’s petty to say otherwise.

Break it down for us. Exactly what master strokes did Auriemma demonstrate? And exactly how many players does Auriemma use in a typical game unless in extreme foul trouble, and how was this game any different?

And how was the game called "more favorably" for Iowa? Iowa players got blasted repeatedly with no calls on CONN. Even the announcers acknowledged calls against Iowa that they didn't see and were incredulous once when Clark was knocked to the floor on a layup and the ref just gave Iowa the ball with no shots.

Obviously, you and I saw two different games. I've seen games when Auriemma handed Summitt her rear, including during a national championship beatdown. I reluctantly gave him respect then for having a far superior offense. But last night was no "masterclass" in anything except taking the opponent's star out of the game by guarding closely throughout and daring the refs to call holds, reaches, shoves, and hand checks. They didn't, and Clark let it get in her head and just do uncharacteristic silly things.

I credit CONN's players for knowing Iowa's tendencies and jumping passing lanes and turning Iowa over. And for making open shots. And, if you give credit for doing whatever the refs will allow, I guess that counts, so credit for holding, elbowing, raking opponents flagrantly across the face...I guess.

Last edited:
I don't understand what game some of you are watching...It was a clear blatant offensive foul...The foul broke every offensive rule (Feet wider than shoulder width, Moving on screen, extended elbows head high...)

GKdCQBlXAAEgKCL

You can't let a blatant offensive foul like that go.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back