*****Official NSD Thread 2017 updated as the commits come in

I know exactly what's he's talking about and if butch had a couple of east champ wins under his belt, or some more significant wins he'd be given a longer rope. But he doesn't! This idea of always having an excuse is old. The east has been terrible and he still can't win it! Raise your expectations!

So given the roster turnover at key positions you expect us to have a better year than last year? No excuses just looking at the reality, we didn't meet expectations last year. Do in response we should just raise our expectations for this year in spite of the turnover? That makes zero sense.

Say you don't feel Butch is the guy, that makes sense but the original post you responded to was valid and grounded in reality. If Butch doesn't meet minimum expectations he will be in trouble, I hope that is not the case because we need some stability here but if he can't find a way it is what it is. Just be realistic about those expectations, will not win the east this coming season, those were last year's expectations.

That they finished 22nd with the players they stole from us speaks volumes IMO.

So given the roster turnover at key positions you expect us to have a better year than last year? No excuses just looking at the reality, we didn't meet expectations last year. Do in response we should just raise our expectations for this year in spite of the turnover? That makes zero sense.

Say you don't feel Butch is the guy, that makes sense but the original post you responded to was valid and grounded in reality. If Butch doesn't meet minimum expectations he will be in trouble, I hope that is not the case because we need some stability here but if he can't find a way it is what it is. Just be realistic about those expectations, will not win the east this coming season, those were last year's expectations.

My expectations haven't changed. I expected for butch to have won the east one time in his first 4 years, and not be only 1-3 against some pretty weak Florida teams. I also expected him to not get regularly destroyed by Alabama. (All reasonable) As far as 2017- I expect it to be butchs last. He's out of excuses. His staff is lack luster. Recruiting is going the wrong direction, and the schedule is not as favorable. I also believe he has lost the support of the majority of the fan base, and we will have a new coach in December.

Reactions: 1 person
My expectations haven't changed. I expected for butch to have won the east one time in his first 4 years, and not be only 1-3 against some pretty weak Florida teams. I also expected him to not get regularly destroyed by Alabama. (All reasonable) As far as 2017- I expect it to be butchs last. He's out of excuses. His staff is lack luster. Recruiting is going the wrong direction, and the schedule is not as favorable. I also believe he has lost the support of the majority of the fan base, and we will have a new coach in December.

Cool story Chitlin, very uplifting and positive and really gets me fired up for Spring ball, thanks!

The win at all costs attitude that I see from many on here is disturbing. Many teams that have done well in the win column lately have proven deficient in the quality of character both with the coaches and the players. We ALL wants more wins. We ALL want championships. Getting there with a staff that puts us on probation with the NCAA or creates a national embarrassment such as we saw at Baylor is NOT the answer.

There are only a hand full of elite level coaches in college football over half of them we ridicule on this site daily for what we see as cheating to get their teams ahead.

If a stranger that wasn't a Tennessee fan wandered on this board you'd think that UT had been a powerhouse the past decade based on the way this fan base acts about Butch and about the team in general.

2006: 9-4 Fulmer
2007: 10-4
2008: 5-7

2009: 7-6 Kiffin
2010: 6-7 Dooley
2011: 5-7
2012: 5-7

2013: 5-7 Butch
2014: 7-6
2015: 9-4
2016: 9-4

So I ask the question, why does everyone want him gone so much? Have we had some disappointing losses? Yes. Have we fallen short of some expectations? Yes. Do we have a fanbase that set those expections high every year? Yes. However, we aren't some powerhouse that dominates teams and haven't been for a long time. The past two seasons we have FINALLY been back in serious bowl conversations and top ten conversations. It's just strange to me that it seems like so many want him to fail so that we can hire someone else and HOPE that whoever replaced him would be the second coming.

Give me a break. Get behind your coach, get behind your team, get behind these new signees, and get excited for this coming season. We have players that LOVE this school, that want to be there and fight tooth and nail every game. I haven't been this excited for a group of guys in a while. Already anticipating the O&W game. I'm not going be one of that's saying "this is our year, etc. etc." but we are in a good position to have a fantastic year..yes I think we'll win at least ten games this coming season. Do we have gaps to fill at important positions? Yes. But since Butch has recruited well there is talent ready to step up and who are pumped about competing for starting time.

Should be a fun 2017-2018! Go Vols baby!!!

Reactions: 5 people
If a stranger that wasn't a Tennessee fan wandered on this board you'd think that UT had been a powerhouse the past decade based on the way this fan base acts about Butch and about the team in general.

2006: 9-4 Fulmer
2007: 10-4
2008: 5-7

2009: 7-6 Kiffin
2010: 6-7 Dooley
2011: 5-7
2012: 5-7

2013: 5-7 Butch
2014: 7-6
2015: 9-4
2016: 9-4

So I ask the question, why does everyone want him gone so much? Have we had some disappointing losses? Yes. Have we fallen short of some expectations? Yes. Do we have a fanbase that set those expections high every year? Yes. However, we aren't some powerhouse that dominates teams and haven't been for a long time. The past two seasons we have FINALLY been back in serious bowl conversations and top ten conversations. It's just strange to me that it seems like so many want him to fail so that we can hire someone else and HOPE that whoever replaced him would be the second coming.

Give me a break. Get behind your coach, get behind your team, get behind these new signees, and get excited for this coming season. We have players that LOVE this school, that want to be there and fight tooth and nail every game. I haven't been this excited for a group of guys in a while. Already anticipating the O&W game. I'm not going be one of that's saying "this is our year, etc. etc." but we are in a good position to have a fantastic year..yes I think we'll win at least ten games this coming season. Do we have gaps to fill at important positions? Yes. But since Butch has recruited well there is talent ready to step up and who are pumped about competing for starting time.

Should be a fun 2017-2018! Go Vols baby!!!

I agree but I haven't seen many wanting Butch fired. To many on this board it's all black and white, you either love everything he does or you want him fired. There are infinite shades of gray when it comes to people's perceptions of Butch. Just because you have lost confidence in Butch doesn't mean you don't want him to succeed. I have to admit, I lost confidence that he'll ever produce even an East championship let alone a SEC or national championship. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong. Not all of it is Butch's fault. There isn't a desire to do what is necessary to be a championship level program in the UT administration. Until that changes, well be just an averag, middle of the pack SEC team.

He is talking about the expectations for next year, we are breaking in a new QB, a new starting running back. Filling some holes at receiver on offense. We will have some spots to fill in defense as well.

****lin and all the other negabutches know exactly what they are doing. They are setting up unreasonable expectations on purpose. It is their agenda, and it will never die now. Butch could win the east, and they will say he should win the SEC, he could win the SEC, and they will say he should win the playoffs, he could win the playoff, and they will cry he should have won the NC, he could win the NC, and they will say he should win more than one....They irrationally hate and continously denigrate the man...NOTHING will change it. Every success he has will be dismissed by their excuses, and every failure will be devoured with rapturous glee...and NOTHING will change that.

Reactions: 1 person
As we do every year, this is the thread where I will be updating confirmed signees as they come in. I'll update this first post so people don't have to scroll through all the posts if they don't wish to. If you see any errors or omissions or have an update that hasn't been posted, please post in the thread. Star rankings and measurables are from Rivals.com.

Please help us keep this updated. If we've missed something or made a mistake, post in this thread and one of us will make sure everything is up to date.

You may want to also check the following:

Top Recruiting Forum Posts Today
-Check the most "liked" posts today in the recruiting forum.

Text Alerts

Here's last year's thread for reference: http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...al-nsd-2016-updated-commits.html#post12370713

UPDATE 12:40 P.M. BUTCH SAYS THAT'S IT FOR THIS CLASS. Commit Princeton Fant was not announced as a Tennessee signee. Reports are he will be a blueshirt, meaning he would count against the 2018 class.

Code:
[B]

SIGNED EARLY: (5)
NAME            POS    HT    WT    STARS    STATUS[/B]
[COLOR=#F77F00][B]Trey Smith        OT    6-5    310    5-STAR    SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#F77F00][B]Shannon Reid        OLB     6-1    202    3-STAR    SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#F77F00][B]Riley Locklear        OT    6-5    290    3-STAR    SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#F77F00][B]Deandre Johnson        WDE    6-3    235    3-STAR    SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#F77F00][B]Will McBride        QB    6-1    190    3-STAR    SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]

[B]COMMITS: (23)
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]Terrell Bailey        CB    6-0    175    3-STAR    SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]Marques Bembry        ATH    6-3    214    3-STAR    SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]Kivon Bennett        DT    6-2    280    3-STAR    SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]James Brown        TE    6-3    280    3-STAR    SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]LaTrell Bumphus        TE    6-3    242    3-STAR    SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]Matthew Butler        DT    6-4    270    3-STAR    SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#F77F00][B]K'Rojhn Calbert        OT    6-5    296    3-STAR     SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]Ty Chandler        RB    5-10    187    4-STAR    SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]Brent Cimaglia        K    6-0    215    3-STAR     SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]Trey Coleman        ATH     5-11    203    3-STAR    SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]Eric Crosby        DT    6-1    330    4-STAR    SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][B]Princeton Fant        WR    6-2    200    3-STAR    COMMITTED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]Maleik Gray        S    6-2    190    4-STAR    SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]Will Ignont        ILB    6-2    230    4-STAR    SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]Theo Jackson        S    6-2    175    3-STAR    SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]Jacquez Jones        WR    5-11    170    3-STAR    SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]Timothy Jordan        RB    5-11    189    3-STAR     SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]Cheyenne Labruzza    CB    6-0    185    3-STAR     SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]Jordan Murphy        WR    6-1    170    3-STAR     SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]Solon Page III        OLB    6-2    207    3-STAR     SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]Josh Palmer        WR    6-2    200    3-STAR     SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]Shawn Shamburger    CB    5-11    189    3-STAR     SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]Ryan Thaxton        SDE    6-5    230    3-STAR     SIGNED[/B][/COLOR]

[B]OTHER SIGNEES (WALK-ONS)[/B]
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]QB SETH WASHINGTON[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]WR COOPER MELTON[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#f77f00][B]DB JAKE POWERS[/B][/COLOR]

[B]OTHER
LaBryan Ray        DE    6-4    260    5-STAR    -----
Elijah Conliffe        DT    6-4    305    4-STAR    COMMITTED TO UF
Javonta Payton        WR    6-1    170    3-STAR    SIGNED WITH OLE MISS
Jordan Pouncey        ATH    6-2    185    3-STAR    -----
Aaron Sterling        DE    6-2    250    3-STAR    SIGNED WITH S. CAROLINA

Jordan Pouncey signed with Texas & LaBryan Ray signed with Bama. I seen you hadn't updated those 2 players but had the others.

VN Store

Back