Official Non Gruden Thread

Do any of ypu believe that Mullen could win a national championship? Not the SEC east or the SEC championship but National.

I really do. What he has done was smart. Not going immediately to a Tennessee or Florida but getting experience playing the very best every year. The QB is so important and we all know the coaches that have won natty's with an awesome QB but then fall off when they graduate. QB's are Mullen's specialty. He would crush it here imo.

I really do. What he has done was smart. Not going immediately to a Tennessee or Florida but getting experience playing the very best every year. The QB is so important and we all know the coaches that have won natty's with an awesome QB but then fall off when they graduate. QB's are Mullen's specialty. He would crush it here imo.

I still have my doubts but no way in hell would I be upset if we hire Mullen. I have more doubts about Gruden than Mullen

Reactions: 2 people
Why do u like fisher? Is this season he's having not worrisome?

Fisher's one bad year isn't concerning at all. If he had started having a history of it then definitely but very few teams can lose their potential Heisman Candidate QB and not miss a beat. They lost a lot this past year offensively and defensively and line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball have hurt them this year. And their True FR QB was nowhere near ready. He needed a year to add weight and learn their system. Some QB's are college ready coming out of HS but he definitely wasn't. He's lucky he's made it all year with being under 180 lbs. Jimbo would be able to recruit top 5-8 classes here every season and bring in top level assistants. Plus he knows the SEC as well as anyone and knows what it takes to win in it. Just my opinion and he would be 3rd behind Gruden and Patterson.

O.K., everybody knows John Currie flew into Tampa this week. Everyone is assuming to talk and sales pitch to
Gruden. Maybe, Currie was in Tampa to talk to Scott Frost about the Tennessee job. Currie would definitely not fly into Orlando (home of UCF) because this would be obvious. Brice has said that John Currie has been vetting Scott Frost. Currie knows volnation is tracking and is trying to throw us off.

Nothing would surprise me with how this search is going. Curry seems far more smarter than our previous AD's. There aren't many that actually know who he has spoken too. Can't wait to see who we get. I really believe Curry understands our situation and will literally get the best coach that will have the job.

O.K., everybody knows John Currie flew into Tampa this week. Everyone is assuming to talk and sales pitch to
Gruden. Maybe, Currie was in Tampa to talk to Scott Frost about the Tennessee job. Currie would definitely not fly into Orlando (home of UCF) because this would be obvious. Brice has said that John Currie has been vetting Scott Frost. Currie knows volnation is tracking and is trying to throw us off.

i don't know if he could talk to Frost himself. but he could have definitely spoken to agents etc...

i think Frost definitely needs to be in the conversation...he's kinda my favorite candidate at the moment.

Reactions: 1 person
I doubt that the AD gives a crap about a message board. Jeeze. I would hope that was sarcasm.

I still have my doubts but no way in hell would I be upset if we hire Mullen. I have more doubts about Gruden than Mullen

As do I but I totally get why most want Gruden. I could be wrong but I don't see how Mullen wouldn't win big here. But I honestly will worry no matter who we hire. For example if Saban came I would worry that he turn into the older Fulmer/Miles. No disrespect to those 2 coaching giants in their prime intended.

Thank you!! Completely agree except on Brohm and he would still be outside of my top 6. But those others I want no part of.

so it really is gruden or bust. or gruden or brohm?

i get it...franklin, fuente, patterson, peterson.

but i just don't see any of those guys leaving, and i don't see any conversation we have with them getting past the "guaging interest" phase.

so many have put so many eggs in the gruden basket, that i think they think if we don't get him, we just go to one of these 4 as the "fall back" plan.

when those 4 guys are actually "plan a" guys to begin with...............

Nothing would surprise me with how this search is going. Curry seems far more smarter than our previous AD's. There aren't many that actually know who he has spoken too. Can't wait to see who we get. I really believe Curry understands our situation and will literally get the best coach that will have the job.

During Tennessee's baseball coaching search, everyone had their list of potential candidates and Currie chose Vitello who was not on ANYONE'S list. Vitello is a young and energetic coach.

In Tennessee's coaching seach, there are no odds listed for Scott Frost being the new coach. Currie might surprise us.

As do I but I totally get why most want Gruden. I could be wrong but I don't see how Mullen wouldn't win big here. But I honestly will worry no matter who we hire. For example if Saban came I would worry that he turn into the older Fulmer/Miles. No disrespect to those 2 coaching giants in their prime intended.

Totally agree.

During Tennessee's baseball coaching search, everyone had their list of potential candidates and Currie chose Vitello who was not on ANYONE'S list. Vitello is a young and energetic coach.

In Tennessee's coaching seach, there are no odds listed for Scott Frost being the new coach. Currie might surprise us.

I had missed that search but saw someone mention it somewhere on here. Yeah lol it would be something if that is one of the coach's he was talking to in Florida. Curry really has made everyone clueless about who he is talking to. So far Gruden is the only name that I've seen reported that he has actually talked to.

edit: Which says alot imo

Last edited:
Lol. Miles won a natty in the Saban era. Dude can coach.

Yes h3 could but I wonder what his last 3 year's look like compared to Mullen's? Mullen, imo, is a much more proven James Franklin. But I get why some of you guys don't want him. If I was the AD I would not hire a coach with no SEC coaching experience.

Gruden's success at Oakland (40 - 28) was DECADES ago. He had the 15 - 4 record and won the Super Bowl at TB in his 1st year. For the next 6 years, overall he had a losing record and was fired. He has been away from coaching for years. I pray that UT has no interest in such a coach. He is very entertaining but so what would make him a good hire as a college football coach for UT in 2017? I trust that AD Currie is not stupid and trust him to hire a good coach.

My thing with Gruden is his name alone would bring in elite recruits. Even Trevor Lawrence was quoted saying he would love to play for Gruden and would would TN to the top if he came here. Not to mention the kind of staff he would assemble here. Would be the best ever put together at TN and in college football. It would completely change the dynamics of recruiting and the perception of TN Football. His name alone holds that much weight in the football world. No other coach we could hire would immediately do that. He wouldn't have to recruit on the road like a lot HC's he would just need to go and close. And let's face it HC's are more like CEO's these days and have so many more responsibilities and rely on their staff to handle the bulk of the road recruiting. His name carries the weight that wouldn't require him being a tireless recruiter. Spurrier wasn't one either and still did fine. I have no clue who our next HC is but that's my reasoning for wanting Gruden as our HC. Don't think everyone realizes what hiring JG as our Coach would do. From the instant impact from recruiting, season ticket and ticket sales, merchandising, publicity and pure perception we would gain. Would be like nothing we Vols fans have never seen.

My thing with Gruden is his name alone would bring in elite recruits. Even Trevor Lawrence was quoted saying he would love to play for Gruden and would would TN to the top if he came here. Not to mention the kind of staff he would assemble here. Would be the best ever put together at TN and in college football. It would completely change the dynamics of recruiting and the perception of TN Football. His name alone holds that much weight in the football world. No other coach we could hire would immediately do that. He wouldn't have to recruit on the road like a lot HC's he would just need to go and close. And let's face it HC's are more like CEO's these days and have so many more responsibilities and rely on their staff to handle the bulk of the road recruiting. His name carries the weight that wouldn't require him being a tireless recruiter. Spurrier wasn't one either and still did fine. I have no clue who our next HC is but that's my reasoning for wanting Gruden as our HC. Don't think everyone realizes what hiring JG as our Coach would do. From the instant impact from recruiting, season ticket and ticket sales, merchandising, publicity and pure perception we would gain. Would be like nothing we Vols fans have never seen.

No doubt Gruden would be a heck of a QB developer too.

Mullen = mediocrity is just plain ridiculous

It's really not. We have zero business hiring a Coach for 5-6+ million that has an overall losing SEC Record in the amount of time he has coached in this league. Only 1 of those years has he finished above 500 in the conference. He's making 4.5 mill at Miss St you don't think it would take close to 6 mill to get him to leave? No way in hell is a coach with that SEC Record worth that kind of money.

I agree. But can you really see Mullen dominating the East? I just dont. I could be wrong. I think Mullen is a good coach, just not a championship level.

I totally understand why too. Imo he's a better coach than Smart. Smart has worked mainly with 5 stars and some high 4's.

I’d be stocked to see Frost come to the podium. The guy can coach, is young , has fresh ideas , isn’t a dictator, a players coach.

Its sad how some fans bash on Miles. His record, especially conference and against ranked competition, speaks for itself.

Absolutely agree. No he wouldn't be the sexy hire but the man's SEC Record and success speaks for itself. Much less risky than hiring Frost,Norvell,Mullen, Fleck or a coordinator with no headcoaching experience. Think some fans need to do their homework before they dismiss or instantly say so and so would be a great hire.

It's really not. We have zero business hiring a Coach for 5-6+ million that has an overall losing SEC Record in the amount of time he has coached in this league. Only 1 of those years has he finished above 500 in the conference. He's making 4.5 mill at Miss St you don't think it would take close to 6 mill to get him to leave? No way in hell is a coach with that SEC Record worth that kind of money.

Devil's advocate here, how could anyone win an SEC championship at MSU with Bama, Auburn and LSU? All those team's are full of star's.

VN Store

Back