Official Major League Soccer/US Men's National Team Thread

Edit: I just bought Justin.tv and will listen to the beIN broadcast.

The fact I can't listen to the men's national team game on the radio (or you guys on tv) is bull****.

This is why I don't feel sorry for the sport when trying to grow. Give me a break. I, like others, want to be connected and can't. What a joke

Last edited:
Edit: I just bought Justin.tv and will listen to the beIN broadcast.

The fact I can't listen to the men's national team game on the radio (or you guys on tv) is bull****.

This is why I don't feel sorry for the sport when trying to grow. Give me a break. I, like others, want to be connected and can't. What a joke

Following up on the Insider's exclusive report that the USA-Honduras qualifier might appear on pay-per-view or closed circuit TV only, the company that owns the U.S. rights to the match is Media World, an American firm partially owned by MediaPro of Spain. A company official said the game was offered to ESPN and other outlets and that they all passed on it. The asking price was less than a million dollars, the official said. As a result, live coverage will be shown on closed circuit only in bars and restaurants. Pay-per-view in homes is not going to be offered. The official, Roger Huguet, CEO of Imagina U.S., which oversees Media World, said there is a possibility that a third party will purchase the rights to show the game on tape delay on a standard TV outlet

So apparently even at less than $1M, ESPN wanted nothing to do with it. Couldn't the US Soccer federation kick in a little bit of that money so that the game would be televised for everybody? Maybe help grow their game a little? Like you said, things like this are why soccer will never be popular in the US. Only the most die hard soccer fans have access to seeing their national team play their WC qualifiers on TV because you have to have a premium soccer subscription to see the games. Meanwhile the effing Mexican team is going to be broadcast to the whole country tonight. What a go*amned joke.

Reactions: 1 person
It nears repeating. The same network that will carry some mls game won't take the us WORLD CUP games at less than 1mil.

Meanwhile the entire country will be able to tune in to watch the Mexican national team. Un-****ing-believable.

Hey Mark Cuban, here's you an investment...

Jesus. So, how does everyone like our chances in a home and home play in with New Zealand? Because that's looking like the best case scenario right now.

The whole day has just left me feeling awfully bitter about US soccer. Between ESPN deciding they would rather televise a meaningless France/Germany friendy and the Mexican National team than their home nation, to being put in a position of having a MASSIVE hill to climb now to even qualify for the WC, this was a really sorry day for US soccer fans.

It nears repeating. The same network that will carry some mls game won't take the us WORLD CUP games at less than 1mil.

Meanwhile the entire country will be able to tune in to watch the Mexican national team. Un-****ing-believable.

Hey Mark Cuban, here's you an investment...

Hey, look at the bright side, the US has to play Mexico twice in the hex, so at least we'll for sure get to see those games. Even if they do have pro-Mexico commentators.

I know this is a bad time to ask following a loss, and at the risk of exposing my southern ignorance...

How do we qualify for the WC? Top 2 of our group? And what is the general point total you look for, and who do we play(predict outcome).

I know this is a bad time to ask following a loss, and at the risk of exposing my southern ignorance...

How do we qualify for the WC? Top 2 of our group? And what is the general point total you look for, and who do we play(predict outcome).

Each team will play all others in the hex twice (once home and once away). 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw. The top 3 point getters qualify automatically for the WC. The fourth place team will face a two leg play-in against the top team from the Oceania group (it's going to be New Zealand) with the winner securing a spot in the WC.

Each team will play all others in the hex twice (once home and once away). 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw. The top 3 point getters qualify automatically for the WC. The fourth place team will face a two leg play-in against the top team from the Oceania group (it's going to be New Zealand) with the winner securing a spot in the WC.

Perfect. Thank you. I would have initially guess Mex, US, Honduras at first glance and reading a preview article. We do have a tough draw.

In 2010, Costa Rica and Honduras tied for the 3rd spot with 16 points each, with Honduras having the tie-breaker and Costa Rica being sent to the play-in, which the lost to NZ.

In 2006 Costa Rica secured the 3rd spot with 16 points and Trinidad and Tobago finishing 4th with 13 points. They won a play-in game against Bahrain. At that time the 4th placed team faced a team from the Asian Confederation.

In 2002, with no play-in for the 4th place team, the US finished 3rd with 17 points (actually tied with Mexico for 2nd) and Honduras missed out by finishing 4th with 14 points.

So if you can get to 16 points, historically you should be good to go.

There were 10,000 people on the couple Justin.tv feeds alone. Many of my friends were pissed they couldn't watch the game and all of them, including myself, would've paid up to $20 to watch the match today.

ESPN couldn't cover this game even if they wanted to. US Soccer didn't have the rights to the game, Honduras did and they sold the rights to beIN Sports.

I guarantee ESPN will show every game that they can buy the rights to

ESPN couldn't cover this game even if they wanted to. US Soccer didn't have the rights to the game, Honduras did and they sold the rights to beIN Sports.

Same thing happened with the game in Jamaica, right? Watched that one on an equally brutal stream. Like being drunk and watching Lego Soccer in a high wind.

Perfect. Thank you. I would have initially guess Mex, US, Honduras at first glance and reading a preview article. We do have a tough draw.
It's really four teams from CONCACAF. The fourth place team in North America will have a play-in with the winner of Oceania (almost certain to be New Zealand since Australia joined the Asian confederation). Common wisdom says the US and Mexico are the top dogs, then two of the three of Panama, Honduras and Jamaica will get the other two spots with Costa Rica being the underdogs.

Meaningful USMNT games within CONCACAF happen rarely, people only tend to watch when it's against Mexico. Playing on the road in Central America and the Carribean can be ridiculous. Horrendous logistics, extremely poor pitches, and the home side will almost always get favorable calls from the refs.

Yep, the soccer federation of the country in which the game is being played is given TV rights for the match. I seriously doubt we'll see any of the road qualifiers except Mexico on TV in the US.

Yep, the soccer federation of the country in which the game is being played is given TV rights for the match. I seriously doubt we'll see any of the road qualifiers except Mexico on TV in the US.

Probably a good selling point for ESPN to pick up the broadcast rights to El Tri. Aside from the other obvious reason(s).

Probably a good selling point for ESPN to pick up the broadcast rights to El Tri. Aside from the other obvious reason(s).

El Tri gets huge ratings in the states. As they should, Mexico is one of the best national sides on the planet.

Watching last night's Press Pass, Twellman brought up a good point.

The quality on USMNT may come from Europe but I honestly think the MLS guys are better-suited to playing the 85-90 degree day games with poor refereeing and shoddy pitches.

It's really four teams from CONCACAF. The fourth place team in North America will have a play-in with the winner of Oceania (almost certain to be New Zealand since Australia joined the Asian confederation). Common wisdom says the US and Mexico are the top dogs, then two of the three of Panama, Honduras and Jamaica will get the other two spots with Costa Rica being the underdogs.

Meaningful USMNT games within CONCACAF happen rarely, people only tend to watch when it's against Mexico. Playing on the road in Central America and the Carribean can be ridiculous. Horrendous logistics, extremely poor pitches, and the home side will almost always get favorable calls from the refs.

Right now I honestly can't see the US finishing top 3 in the hex. From the stuff I posted earlier, it usually takes 16ish points to get into the top 3. That means either 5 wins, 4 wins and 4 draws or something along those lines. I look at the opponents and don't see how the US collects that many points.

Still, I think they've got a pretty good shot to still end up in the World Cup, because conventional wisdom says they SHOULD be able to beat New Zealand in the play-in. However, conventional wisdom also says they shouldn't have lost games to Jamaica and Honduras, drawn Canada (even though it was the B-squad) and failed to qualify for the Olympics all within the last year. Add in the team's first EVER win at Azteca last year and this squad is so ridiculously up and down that nobody should really even bother guessing what to expect from them.

Also, watching the highlights, the pitch didn't look that bad in the Honduras game. Nothing like the one they played on in one of the qualifiers last year. Jamaica, maybe?

Again, winning road games in CONCACAF is uniquely difficult for USMNT and we've made it through before. Jurgen picked a hell of a time to try out an entirely new and untested back line, but they should be leaps and bounds better towards the end of the hex.

VN Store

Back