Official Jon Gruden Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no clue what the Grude is going to do but i do have a question that i think is interesting and could spark good convo....

Gruden is no stranger to this program. He has visited numerous times at games and at practice. Every time he is at practice or a game he is supporting some kind of vols gear. Even in his social media pictures when he wishes vols good luck he has some vols gear on.

My question- why would he not be wearing anything Saturday while at the game. He had on FFCA visor and a black shirt. He loves the vols this is no secret why not have some sort of orange on? No power T, nothing. And why wouldn't he be/on the field? He has been before. He and Butch have had dealings before and he was on the field. Seems like to me if I'm Butch i want him on the field just for recruiting purposes!

I'm just sitting back looking at the situation with Gruden with realistic glasses (don't get me wrong i want him here and i am hoping you guys with knowledge aren't bs us) but it just seems odd to me that he was where he was sitting and not having any UT stuff on!!

Just an observation...

SOON.....i hope!!

GBO!!!

I guess none of you have picked up on this yet. He was recruiting. Duh. Its right there, how can you all not see it? FFCA gear? He was recruting Butch as the new member into the Fired Football Coaches of America. He was watching his newest member.

Reactions: 2 people
If I were Butch, and was aware of this fanbase and it's adoration for JG, I wouldn't want him within 100 miles, let alone on my sideline. He probably wasn't invited due to the distraction, or decided himself not to be a bigger spectacle.

I wouldn't worry about Butch, he's not aware of what's happening on the field. Didn't​ you hear we lost saturday because we didn't score TDs?

Reactions: 3 people
Lol. Naw, it'll be much sweeter to laugh in his face when Gruden comes riding in town on his orange Unicorn. 😀

But I do need some good vibes this week from VN. It's Bama week and the number of Knoxville based Bama fans at my work is baffling. These people are born and raised in TN. Never set foot in the State of Alabama and they have f'ing elephants on their cars and run around all week yelling "Roll Tide". It's all I can do to keep from punching them in their faces.

Lord, give me strength.

My wife was born in Scottsboro. She doesn't even like bama.

Reactions: 2 people
Boro, DTO, others in the know...let's say everything goes smoothly and JG and the AD are good to go. They know he will be the next coach, he knows he will be the next coach, Butch knows it, Hoke knows it, Fulmer, etc...

Would it be possible at all that he or any new coach is on the sidelines this season? Even if Butch is released, I'd think an interim would finish out the season and no official coach would be announced maybe until just before the bowl game. My thinking is that Gruden may be telling them to hold off and let Butch finish the season and possibly leave with some dignity. Gruden would finish out the season with MNF and and he would move back to Knoxville and get to work recruiting for 2019 and establishing his staff and schemes. That could be why there are reports from Hyams and others that Butch will indeed finish the season.
allow ESPN to find a replacement
I'd be okay with this for the most part. Big dreams of winning a natty, SEC, or even the east are already gone. Might as well let Butch try to make a bowl game and compete for a job elsewhere. Save some money on the buyout. The only hangup would be our 2018 recruits.

Rex Ryan to replace Gruden on MNF

I guess none of you have picked up on this yet. He was recruiting. Duh. Its right there, how can you all not see it? FFCA gear? He was recruting Butch as the new member into the Fired Football Coaches of America. He was watching his newest member.

OUCH!

Changed my avatar pick by the way. What say ye Volnation?

Reactions: 1 person
Boro, DTO, others in the know...let's say everything goes smoothly and JG and the AD are good to go. They know he will be the next coach, he knows he will be the next coach, Butch knows it, Hoke knows it, Fulmer, etc...

Would it be possible at all that he or any new coach is on the sidelines this season? Even if Butch is released, I'd think an interim would finish out the season and no official coach would be announced maybe until just before the bowl game. My thinking is that Gruden may be telling them to hold off and let Butch finish the season and possibly leave with some dignity. Gruden would finish out the season with MNF and allow ESPN to find a replacement and he would move back to Knoxville and get to work recruiting for 2019 and establishing his staff and schemes. That could be why there are reports from Hyams and others that Butch will indeed finish the season.

I'd be okay with this for the most part. Big dreams of winning a natty, SEC, or even the east are already gone. Might as well let Butch try to make a bowl game and compete for a job elsewhere. Save some money on the buyout. The only hangup would be our 2018 recruits.

Interim.. New coach possibly coaches bowl game, though with Gruden he might not be able to coach until next season due to finishing up MNF obligations

Would it be possible at all that he or any new coach is on the sidelines this season? Even if Butch is released, I'd think an interim would finish out the season and no official coach would be announced maybe until just before the bowl game. My thinking is that Gruden may be telling them to hold off and let Butch finish the season and possibly leave with some dignity. Gruden would finish out the season with MNF and allow ESPN to find a replacement and he would move back to Knoxville and get to work recruiting for 2019 and establishing his staff and schemes. That could be why there are reports from Hyams and others that Butch will indeed finish the season.

I wouldn't think, and it's only my impression, that we would see JG on the sideline until next year. I would assume the interim, Hoke or Fulmer probably, would run the show until after the last game....regular season or bowl.

Hopefully there would be a waiver by the NCAA allowing the new coach to recruit...like they did with Urban Meyer at OSU.

Reactions: 7 people
Let's say the outside chance happens and Gruden becomes a reality. Do you think he'd consider keeping any current coaches?

I really think Shoop and Gillespie have done a good job... my guess is they would go with everyone else when Butch is let go and Gruden comes. Just wanted to get other opinions.

I have no clue what the Grude is going to do but i do have a question that i think is interesting and could spark good convo....

Gruden is no stranger to this program. He has visited numerous times at games and at practice. Every time he is at practice or a game he is supporting some kind of vols gear. Even in his social media pictures when he wishes vols good luck he has some vols gear on.

My question- why would he not be wearing anything Saturday while at the game. He had on FFCA visor and a black shirt. He loves the vols this is no secret why not have some sort of orange on? No power T, nothing. And why wouldn't he be/on the field? He has been before. He and Butch have had dealings before and he was on the field. Seems like to me if I'm Butch i want him on the field just for recruiting purposes!

I'm just sitting back looking at the situation with Gruden with realistic glasses (don't get me wrong i want him here and i am hoping you guys with knowledge aren't bs us) but it just seems odd to me that he was where he was sitting and not having any UT stuff on!!

Just an observation...

SOON.....i hope!!

GBO!!!

That's easy...smokescreen

I wouldn't think, and it's only my impression, that we would see JG on the sideline until next year. I would assume the interim, Hoke or Fulmer probably, would run the show until after the last game....regular season or bowl.

Hopefully there would be a waiver by the NCAA allowing the new coach to recruit...like they did with Urban Meyer at OSU.

I was thinking these same thoughts in my "best case scenario" hypothetical situation.

Let's say the outside chance happens and Gruden becomes a reality. Do you think he'd consider keeping any current coaches?

I really think Shoop and Gillespie have done a good job... my guess is they would go with everyone else when Butch is let go and Gruden comes. Just wanted to get other opinions.

It would be (will be!!) an unusual case, because Gruden isn't a current coach with a stable of assistants coming with him. I can see him keeping one or more on. (No opinion about whether he would; just that he doesn't have any existing baggage.)

I wouldn't want to risk publicly second guessing decisions that have already been made.

Reactions: 1 person

Just an observation...

SOON.....i hope!!

GBO!!!

There's some talk of Currie wanting him in the stands and the public light instead of a box, so that it would put on added pressure on Butch.

They're playing the long game of does Butch flinch first so they can lower Butch's buy out on his contract.

See, that's what I'm saying. They couldn't get him a waiver unless they were ready to announce he would be the coach right? And they wouldn't do that with an interim in for the rest of the season or with Butch still there.

Was Urban able to recruit while still working in the booth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back