Official Jon Gruden Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that staff still so divided that it would be hard to pick one from either side of the ball.

Plus they're really trying to bring fulmers camp in on this in every way. which was one of the hang ups last time, since Gruden is a Johnny guy.
I don't know about the staff...all I heard was Hoke would be the obvious choice having had HC experience. Let him run practice and on-field decisions and turn the Coordinators loose to do their job. Everybody is coaching for a job, so there is motivation.

Reactions: 2 people
There's some talk of Currie wanting him in the stands and the public light instead of a box, so that it would put on added pressure on Butch.

They're playing the long game of does Butch flinch first so they can lower Butch's buy out on his contract.

I don't buy that for a second. Gruden has been fired. He wouldn't do that to a fellow coach.

IF this were the case, the recruits would know he was coming and the recruiting would take care of its self in my opinion. Would be no harm to the 2018 class.

Yeah, I guess I was thinking they wouldn't announce the new coach until the end of the season...publicly. They for sure won't tell a bunch of 17 year old kids who the new coach is before announcing it publicly.

IF this were the case, the recruits would know he was coming and the recruiting would take care of its self in my opinion. Would be no harm to the 2018 class.

Agreed. The right hire rejuvenates recruiting instantly. In fact, it probably opens up options that are currently closed to us.

I haven't heard anything. It just seems logical. ESPN hired Ryan back in the spring. I saw an article about it where it was speculated that Ryan might have been hired as an insurance policy for Gruden should he bolt to return to coaching. Even apart from what you and others are sharing, a Gruden hire makes a lot of sense right now. Think about..

How is MNF/ESPN doing? How long has Gruden been there? How popular is the NFL currently vs. the college game? He's on record as saying he still has the coaching bug.I'm not buying that he's strictly an NFL guy. Harbaugh went the college route after NFL success.
He has ties to Tennessee. What is his family situation?
I've said all along that the timing is very different this time around.

I'll let this out....I've been told that Gruden has expressed being tired of the political slant of ESPN and the NFL "kneeling" controversy. Couple that with ESPN's efforts at budget cutting...it's only a matter of time that his contract comes under scrutiny.

Those issues, along with a new more compliant UT Administration, and Manning's handling of the boosters issues....it's a new day.

Reactions: 30 people
Put me in the Fulmer-As-Interim camp if Gruden is hired. In fact, I think it would be cool to see The Great Pumpkin return on the Saturday before Halloween night.

Reactions: 6 people

I'll let this out....I've been told that Gruden has expressed being tired of the political slant of ESPN and the NFL "kneeling" controversy. Couple that with ESPN's efforts at budget cutting...it's only a matter of time that his contract comes under scrutiny.

Those issues, along with a new more compliant UT Administration, and Manning's handling of the boosters issues....it's a new day.

Boro spilling the tea🐸☕️ Good show.........Soon

I believe it's the ONLY scenario that does that....others do too.

I don't know about the staff...all I heard was Hoke would be the obvious choice having had HC experience. Let him run practice and on-field decisions and turn the Coordinators loose to do their job. Everybody is coaching for a job, so there is motivation.

This makes more sense. There was rumor that Scott would be released when Jones is and Gillaspie(sp) calls the plays, did that get debunked?

This makes more sense. There was rumor that Scott would be released when Jones is and Gillaspie(sp) calls the plays, did that get debunked?

I've only seen that here...certainly not debunked, but nobody has ever expressed that to me.

Reactions: 1 person
Fulmer and Hyams did a radio show there on Monday oddly enough...broadcast live from Cindy Gruden's cousin's optometry clinic of all places.

Oh SNAP!
I was listening to WNML podcasts yesterday from Monday while making casket deliveries ... I heard all that.

What I didn't know was it was Cindy Gruden's cousin and then that lends credibility to the Cindy/Vicky Fulmer trip to Dollywood thing.

MIND BLOWN!

100% agree. Also, the roster is in much better shape than the last round. I would have to think that would factor in. Like you said, brand new day.

Me at work this week
UnsightlyDirectJunco.gif

Reactions: 4 people

This is true.

Because he knows Butch would be uncomfortable. Butch cannot be that oblivious of all the talk

Sort of reminds me of the last days of Coach Bill Battle?s time here, .... both are good guys, Battle was a sorry recruiter but a decent coach and Butch a good recruiter but a sorry coach.

The entire time Battle was here, he could hear the heavy footsteps of John Majors and I am sure Butch has heard the heavy footsteps of Gruden on his heals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So essentially, you have Manning, Fulmer and Currie handling/babysitting boosters and football alums. I'm guessing that issue (babysitting alums/boosters) wouldn't be very appealing to Gruden and thus you have a nice firewall protecting him from that non-sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back