Official Game Thread - SECT: Friday, 1pm (ESPN) vs. MSU

I said it weeks ago and got roasted. This teams chance in post season depending on two people consistently showing up besides DK.

JJJ and SV disappear during the times you need them most. SV has avoided the shot most of the year and now that you need him he has forgot how to shoot and this is multiple years that JJJ disappears during post season.

How far they go will depend on how many step up. It is not a who but how many. DK & 1 other are not enough for NC.
Make someone else beat you. Too much DK, take him out or have a bad game and the team adjust to late trying to play catch up.

We just made the committee‘s decision easy. We are a 2 seed, and that is a stretch. I’ll be just like everyone else on this board, maybe some of our players will figure their shooting woes out by the tournament. But I really think what you see is what you get. It‘s not happening! Prove me wrong, SV, JJJ, JA, JG, TA. 5 of your top 8 players you cant trust offensively. One thing about it, we shall see soon!

Somebody repeated what has been said a bazillion times! It's about matchups in basketball. When an opponent can repeatedly go inside on Vols without much resistance we lose. Saw Vescovi and JJJ passing up shots while they were denying DK the ball. Many of the bazillion have said playing teams with a good big and we lose and have lost. Funny,not really, some have said lose SEC tourney without injuries and regroup for big dance. Question is will we have a good date for the prom?

True but no one wants to get car washed, pummeled and left lying in the fetal position

Losing today versus tomorrow, or even Sunday really isn’t going to impact this team. I’d rather this loss motivate them going into next week, than winning the SECT and then laying this egg in the Big Dance. We were flat out embarrassed today. The last time that happened was at College Station (I was there for that chit show). We responded by winning 7 straight games and our first outright regular season title in 16 years. Let’s hope for a similar bounce back. Hell, I’ll even be content if we only win our next 6.

Vols need someone who can go through contact and finish at the rim. Even DK tries to avoid the contact on a drive. Aidoo shies away from contact and Awaka can't hold onto the ball long enough to try it.

BTW: DK has never gotten the star treatment that top players normally get from refs. Defenders are able to use their hands to push him off course when he drives.

I am not the type of person to call for a coaches job but this team should AT LEAST win two tourney games. If CRB fails to do that, then Danny White needs to take a hard look at the direction of the BBALL program under Rick. I have seen enough early exits from UT basketball teams that should have advanced further than they did. Sorry, kind of pizzed off right now.
Never been lower than a 5 seed. Consistently ranked. Most schools would kill for that

We just made the committee‘s decision easy. We are a 2 seed, and that is a stretch. I’ll be just like everyone else on this board, maybe some of our players will figure their shooting woes out by the tournament. But I really think what you see is what you get. It‘s not happening! Prove me wrong, SV, JJJ, JA, JG, TA. 5 of your top 8 players you cant trust offensively. One thing about it, we shall see soon!
Meh ... We are a 2 seed, but that's not a stretch. In fact, we are probably the 2 seed in North Carolina's region.

Reactions: Just a VolinTears
As far as 1 seed discussion goes, yes. As far as 2 seed, probably not.

If NC wins ACC tourney they would get the #1 seed even if Vols had won the SEC tourney. We still get a #2 but our 1-4 ranking in the 2 seed line may drop. Not a disaster. My concern of this team is can play at a high level and focused to win 6 games in a row. Would not bet on that.

Rick can’t shoot the ball for them
You are right. But he can recruit better shooters. Something he has not done in 2-3 years. He got lucky with Knecht. But you got to have more than 1 or 2 shooters. Imagine how bad this team would be without Knecht. I know this can be said about many teams. I dont care about other teams, I care about Tn

Every physical big he faces eats his lunch. I wish Awaka was 3-4 inches taller.
Or rounder lol. He’s still thin and gets pushed around when the refs allow for that style of play which I think will happen in the NCAA tournament.

Somebody repeated what has been said a bazillion times! It's about matchups in basketball. When an opponent can repeatedly go inside on Vols without much resistance we lose. Saw Vescovi and JJJ passing up shots while they were denying DK the ball. Many of the bazillion have said playing teams with a good big and we lose and have lost. Funny,not really, some have said lose SEC tourney without injuries and regroup for big dance. Question is will we have a good date for the prom?
Hope we get a good draw, and we come out firing. There is no right or wrong way to enter the big tournament. The biggest thing is getting a good seed and obviously making it to begin with

If we don’t play better in the big dance, it’s gonna be a quick exit! The last two games we have played like crap

ZERO offensive production from Santi and JJJ will spell an early exit from the NCAA tourney, more than likely first weekend in the 2 vs 7 matchup. Hell if Knecht shoots poorly I'm not even confident about the 2 vs 15 matchup. Thought Santi/JJJ would be stalwarts this year. They've been just the opposite and now in such a funk offensively they are a liability. Needed to have developed some of the younger players to be ready to play meaningful minutes now. Maybe as freshman/sophs they could play more freely and hit a few shots. Can still prove me wrong but the disappearance of Santi/JJJ late will be a lasting stain on their Vol careers.

VN Store

Back