Official Boxing thread

I think Williams will win fairly easily, much like he did in the second go with Quintana, well, maybe not that easily, but handily nonetheless.

Yeah, even if it's easier, it definitely won't be that easy.

Paul seems to have a mind block when getting up for opposition without a name brand, Martinez is, IMO, inferior and had no business being around in that fight long enough to make the outcome questionable. Williams will be ready this time.

I'd like to see a step up from Paul but I'm not sure it'll be that easy. The reason Martinez was around in that fight long enough was because he seriously hurt Williams with the knockdown to end round 1, that punch stayed with him for a while. He finally regrouped and made adjustments to take the middle rounds but then had to hold one to a slim point lead in the last few.

The worst part of that fight was the fact that the deciding judge somehow had it as a blowout win for Williams, left it with a bad taste after a fantastic fight.

Yeah, even if it's easier, it definitely won't be that easy.

I'd like to see a step up from Paul but I'm not sure it'll be that easy. The reason Martinez was around in that fight long enough was because he seriously hurt Williams with the knockdown to end round 1, that punch stayed with him for a while. He finally regrouped and made adjustments to take the middle rounds but then had to hold one to a slim point lead in the last few.

The worst part of that fight was the fact that the deciding judge somehow had it as a blowout win for Williams, left it with a bad taste after a fantastic fight.

Agree, scores like that are a stain on the credibility of judging, especially as they often happen with an "up and comer" against someone more or less there to fill a spot on the card.

A more recent case, though not as extreme, was one judge giving Mike Jones 7 rounds Saturday night. Definately makes you wonder.

A more recent case, though not as extreme, was one judge giving Mike Jones 7 rounds Saturday night. Definately makes you wonder.

Definitely not as extreme but still true. The worst one to me in somewhat recent memory was Alexander - Kotelnik from a few months ago, 116 - 112 across the board was a disgrace.

Makes it difficult to take the sport seriously in some cases, and yet I still couldn't be more excited about the next month's worth of fights. I guess you just kind of have to decide to deal with it if you are going to follow boxing.

Hatton / Colazzo was another where the judges seemed to be in the tank in order to keep a hype machine going onward.

The next month looks great, excited to see Amir Khan, HBO has a good lineup for the next month. Showtime has some good ones too.

Yeah, HBO is solid this weekend with the rematch and next weekend with Marquez - Katsidis on the 27th. Not sure how long that one will go but it should be a hell of a lot of fun to watch while it lasts.

Showtime has the Froch - Abraham Super 6 fight coming up which could be good, but it'll definitely be dirty. I'm looking forward to the 4 man bantamweight round robin they've got coming up though, all 4 of those guys can really throw.

What are your thoughts on the Khan fight? He's obviously the better fighter but his one weakness has been shown to be his chin. Roach has supposedly minimized that since he took over but Maidana can hit like a truck. If there's any chink left in that defense he's the type of guy who coud expose it.

What a shot....I was about to post about how neither guy seemed to be worried about keeping their gloves up.

Wow.

Wow! Now that's a hell ova ko. I thought Martinez would win, but not like that.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Unfortunately it looks like Pac is fighting mosely next. I'd be surprised if martinez' next significant fight might be a third with Williams. Who else is there at that weight? Everybody is too big or too small for Sergio.

Perhaps the loser of Froch/Abraham, I guess. Other than Manny, there is nobody over 130 who warrants a PPV audience. Mikkel Kessler might also be hypeable enough for HBO to pick up the fight for a WCB card, or maybe even Kelly Pavlik, like they did for Gatti with Baldomir.

Perhaps the loser of Froch/Abraham, I guess. Other than Manny, there is nobody over 130 who warrants a PPV audience. Mikkel Kessler might also be hypeable enough for HBO to pick up the fight for a WCB card, or maybe even Kelly Pavlik, like they did for Gatti with Baldomir.

That's the thing, there's a few good fighters coming out of the super six plus Bute but that's a little too big for Martinez, I'd think. Pavlik was that big but slow, someone like ward is big and fast. Abraham is slow enough to negate the size difference but that's not a fight that could draw

Outside of the Super 6 guys, there isn't anyone who would merit a big card involving Martinez, which is the new par for the course.

Really, since the retirement of my 2 all time (besides New England's own Mickey Ward) favorites, Morales and Barrera, there really haven't been any drawing fighters who were off the p4p scene.

It sucks for folks like us that most people have never heard of Froch or Martinez, and therefore have no desire to see them fight.

Haha, well I'll just be the guy who thought Martinez might have a shot tonight

I bought into Paul's hype, it would have done well for boxing in the USA to have him win tonight...A short loaded hook against zero defense had something else to say about it haha

You're absolutely right on drawing power, at least for ppv level fights, but the next level is full of good fights. Does suck for a guy like Martinez though bc he won't make the money he deserves

I bought into Paul's hype, it would have done well for boxing in the USA to have him win tonight...A short loaded hook against zero defense had something else to say about it haha

Don't know that it's hype though, paul is damn good but yes that hook derailed his train tonight

Martinez will get a retread fighter with a bit of name value, thinking about it Pavlik will likely be the guy, just to have some name value around an HBO card.

Don't know that it's hype though, paul is damn good but yes that hook derailed his train tonight

But like you said earlier, there is nobody within a reasonable difference in weight class that he could line up to reach the level of publicity he was at before the Martinez fights..

HBO and Shobox should make showing fights from Europe on tape delay in prime time, to perk some interest in the fighters.

The fact that they are still operating as if Mike Tyson is drawing the entire USA against Razor Ruddock is killing the sport, as far as public recognition goes.

VN Store

Back