Official Boxing thread

Roy Jones embarrassed himself again today, got battered and dropped by a last minute replacement in Poland, as his scheduled opponent is in the clink. Even worse, he somehow got the decision, which means he'll take at least one more beating.

...is he broke or something?

...is he broke or something?

Nope, pretty sure he's never had any kind of financial issues. As far as I know he's never gone through the cliche boxing tax issues or failed business ventures (except the horrible excuse for his attempt at a music career). Pretty sure he just can't let go of fighting and nobody in the US has any interest in letting him get in a ring. That's why he is still going to Russia, Poland, etc.

Good to see pavlik back in the ring and with a win but the people he talked about after the fight would eat him alive.

Donaire fighting a taller guy seems weird but so far he looks good.

I was surprised that Nonito went the distance, I was expecting another fight where I was afraid to take a piss. As for the heavies, there is nobody that can touch Wlad or Vitali, I feel that they aren't going to get their credit based on their fighting in an era with no solid competition.

Good to see pavlik back in the ring and with a win but the people he talked about after the fight would eat him alive.

Donaire fighting a taller guy seems weird but so far he looks good.

Ghost has what it takes, I think he's got a good 6-8 fight run left in the tank. Moving out of Youngstown might be a big thing for him. Guy can move, and he can hit. To make it to where he did with a mediocre camp is astounding in retrospect. If Hopkins hadn't mind ****ed him, who knows where he's be now.

Bronco McKart and Anthony Mundine are fighting at The Palms tonight, it must be "flashback to 1998" night.

I hope Khan gets beaten into retirement at Mandalay Bay, but I think Garcia is in trouble in this one.

Hey, NochNoch, You've got to think that due to Amir's rush to get out of the ring, that Morales would have landed a big overhand banger harder than Garcia would have. If nothing else, I think El Terrible has a chance to gain another (somewhat) important strap before he's done.

A perfect PPV would be Morales/JM Marquez just to show us what we missed 10 years ago

And even though Bradley stole a win without a doubt, Manny is on Steroids.

Even though I am all in favor of Olympic level testing being mandatory for any fight, I've never been convinced of either side of the Manny/steroids argument. There obviously has never been any proof, so that is all we have to go on but in no way would I be shocked if some ever came out.

Fighter from Japan drops a guy from Azerbaijan 4 times in the 3rd round, guy "slips" for a breal 3-4 timesreferee (from Turkmenistan) not once gives the mandatory 10 count to check the guys stability after a knock down. Guy cannot keep his feet for the last 2 minutes of the fight, and still wins.

What an embarrassment

We sure didn't show well in London. James Toney was probably drunk, but I'm willing to agree that he could have beat the **** out of anyone we sent over, Spence included.

We sure didn't show well in London. James Toney was probably drunk, but I'm willing to agree that he could have beat the **** out of anyone we sent over, Spence included.

I really couldn't care less. I love the Olympics and am pretty much as pro all things America as it gets in those types of events but I didn't even watch one round of Olympic boxing, and I'm a boxing junkie. It's hardly even the same sport as the professional version and most of the guys who could dominate in an amateur tournament have no interest in boxing for no money (and I don't really blame them).

Finally a weekend with a fight that I'm actually interested in seeing with Ward v Dawson on Saturday night. Not convinced it'll be the most exciting fight because neither of these two are known for it but at least it's intriguing with them meeting in the middle and both considered to be the best (mostly, in Dawson's case) in their respective classes.

Slightly disappointed that I'll miss two potentially good fights next Saturday night, but I'll slightly because I'm only missing them because I'll in Knoxville.

Fun watch. I watched Vitali massacre Carr this afternoon, I think the sorry heavyweight division takes away from how good the Klitschkos actually are.

Not their fault but the brothers are the perfect example of why there needs to be a Super Heavy division.

Ward's win was impressive and, by his standards, pretty entertaining. I don't love his style but he is damn good at what he does.

VN Store

Back