Offensive wrinkle

Maybe he is just smart with his body. Yes he is a big guy but even at that size running over guys and taking unnecessary hits is dumb.
In our offense, on the options, as soon as he pulls the ball from the back, or decides he’s not passing, he becomes the running back. When he makes that decision, he has pretty much beaten the DL with players that are bigger than him. When he gets to second level, he is pretty much as big as anyone he’s coming up against. But instead of at least putting his shoulder down and trying to get yards, he turns away from the contact and gets hit in the side or even his back. This type of scared running will get him injured sooner than just initiating the contact. Not to mention 0 yards after contact.

What do you guys think about this wrinkle for Tennessee?
We know Ole miss plays a 3-2-6. How about a package for Milton at QB and Whitehead at RB. Tell them to run downhill. No sideways runs. Run it between the tackles and fall forward.
Obviously not every play but in situations where we need 3 or 4 yards. Ole miss’s defense can’t stop it. That’s two big boys coming downhill

I'd have to see it drawn in the dirt with a stick to form a professional opinion.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
I really don’t want to see Milton at QB and he isn’t that good at running the ball relative to his size.
Yep he’s tentative & turns sideways like he’s bracing for a hit. He’s basically a straight on runner like Tebow but with the nuance at the end that does not get the extra yardage.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
I mean last Saturday we direct snapped to the TE, who then handed the ball to the QB on a sweep, who then handed to the WR on a reverse sweep lol.

The man has wrinkles in his offense other coaches have never even thought about.

Probably thought about but didn't have the guts to try...

Maybe he is just smart with his body. Yes he is a big guy but even at that size running over guys and taking unnecessary hits is dumb.

His skill set can't get away with that mentality. He's Tim Tebow not Mike Vick. Yeah, he can run pretty fast but I've yet to see him make someone miss in space or break a tackle.

Reactions: kptvol1452
I really would like to see some trickery with Milton in the backfield. Not early in the game, though. Gotta see what Missy is serving up.

CJH and staff will have our boys ready to rock.

You can also bet that our O playbook is much farther open than we've seen it before.

We might also see a new wrinkle or 2 on the D side of the ball too.

This is our 1st chance to play a ranked SEC team so I expect CJH to try everything he knows to help our kids get this really important WIN!

VFL...GBO!!!
Florida

Reactions: CaliVol2009
I really don’t want to see Milton at QB and he isn’t that good at running the ball relative to his size.

I think Milton is much better at running the football than what he thinks he is……
but, Milton must have the desire and grit to run with the football, he’s been tentative at times and seems to be afraid to take off with the football
The few big runs he’s had, do show better than average speed for a QB……..he had his chance and missed,
unless HH gets hurt JM will be holding the clipboard

We know Ole miss plays a 3-2-6. How about a package for Milton at QB and Whitehead at RB. Tell them to run downhill. No sideways runs. Run it between the tackles and fall forward.
Obviously not every play but in situations where we need 3 or 4 yards. Ole miss’s defense can’t stop it. That’s two big boys coming downhill

Hooker is a better runner and Small is probably a better power back than Whitehead.

I think Milton is much better at running the football than what he thinks he is……
but, Milton must have the desire and grit to run with the football, he’s been tentative at times and seems to be afraid to take off with the football
The few big runs he’s had, do show better than average speed for a QB……..he had his chance and missed,
unless HH gets hurt JM will be holding the clipboard
I honestly think JM is afraid of contact. Maybe if he had the chance to run some QB power as a backup he’d be more inclined to invite contact bc he wouldn’t be afraid of getting hurt.

I honestly think JM is afraid of contact. Maybe if he had the chance to run some QB power as a backup he’d be more inclined to invite contact bc he wouldn’t be afraid of getting hurt.

I think your post is spot on, Milton does his best to avoid contact, where HH is less concerned about contact and trusts his feet and instincts more when running with the football

Last edited:
Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I will say this. Remember the name Marcus Pierce Jr. (transfer RB Maryville College) He won’t rack up many yards, but I think he gets a touch or two and makes a huge play.

Milton at QB

and what do you think those 6 DB's are gonna do when milton runs onto the field.......they are gonna know he isnt gonna throw it and if he does it will be over every ones head. So they are gonna crash the LOS and stop what ever "wrinkle" you like......

please think first or understand how football works.

His skill set can't get away with that mentality. He's Tim Tebow not Mike Vick. Yeah, he can run pretty fast but I've yet to see him make someone miss in space or break a tackle.

He hasn’t ran that much. Bottom line is the guy moves well for his size.

I say that they don't deserve any wrinkles. Let's just execute the game plan and let the chips fall where they may. It sends the wrong message if we resort to trickeration to beat them.

I mean last Saturday we direct snapped to the TE, who then handed the ball to the QB on a sweep, who then handed to the WR on a reverse sweep lol.

The man has wrinkles in his offense other coaches have never even thought about.

The offense moves so fast that I didn’t even notice Fant took that snap and handed it to Hooker.

VN Store

Back