Offensive line recruiting

Anyone hearing any news about OL on the JUCO front? Still not fired up about the idea, but now that Blair has settled in at RT, would be nice to get a real JUCO LT to offset. I would love to see these freshman on the line get a redshirt year like Marcus Jackson. JMO.

But we HAVE to pick up either Love or Frasier at RB. :unsure: Because we can't say no if they want to come here?

It's always hard to turn away elite playmakers, but the OT spot specifically is as depleted as I've ever seen in my Vol fandom. It is dire.

Reactions: 2 people
Anyone hearing any news about OL on the JUCO front? Still not fired up about the idea, but now that Blair has settled in at RT, would be nice to get a real JUCO LT to offset. I would love to see these freshman on the line get a redshirt year like Marcus Jackson. JMO.

I'd feel better about next years line if we had a couple of juco's as well. Of course Blair couldn't help right away and we didn't have a ton of luck with the Gooch kid at center a few years back.

I'd feel better about next years line if we had a couple of juco's as well. Of course Blair couldn't help right away and we didn't have a ton of luck with the Gooch kid at center a few years back.

this is what im wondering. i've been trying to look at JUCO lineman and it doesnt seem like we've even been offering very many of them much less getting any on campus.

i'm sure there's a reason for it? just haven't found one.
are these kids not good? or are they not interested in UT?

I don't really buy the whole "trust the staff" thing either... especially because the current guys just look completely lost. and are getting worse--no matter who the competition is...

this is what im wondering. i've been trying to look at JUCO lineman and it doesnt seem like we've even been offering very many of them much less getting any on campus.

I don't really buy the whole "trust the staff" thing either... especially because the current guys just look completely lost. and are getting worse--no matter who the competition is...

Swain had Leonard Little on this morning and they talked about some of these issues. Leonard said that any juco really needs a year to get acclimated to this level of play. He also said that freshman lineman, on both side of the ball, can't be expected to start in the ideal situation. He said he was too small as a freshman to play any significant time at this level and we all know he was one of our best.

I'm not saying Juco is the answer but I am saying that I feel like we should be giving ourselves the type of options on the oline as we are at receiver and in the secondary. We keep signing a ton at those positions (too many receivers in my opinion). You have to account for busts, academics, and players that will need time to develop. There's no quick fixes I'm afraid.

Swain had Leonard Little on this morning and they talked about some of these issues. Leonard said that any juco really needs a year to get acclimated to this level of play. He also said that freshman lineman, on both side of the ball, can't be expected to start in the ideal situation. He said he was too small as a freshman to play any significant time at this level and we all know he was one of our best.

yeah im with you on recruiting. not saying it will solve the problem immediately either but i'd think a couple of ave JUCO lineman to fill holes would be our best bet. at the very least better than that right tackle who just looks like he doesnt even want to block anyone.

i realize its hard with the OL to get guys in and get timing down but it seems like its more than youth and inexperience here. just dont have confidence the current guys will ever get it.

I noticed that as well. Tennessee is not even mentioned in the "interests" of most if not all the Juco OL guys for 2015. Could be as simple as CBJ has (4) HS guys he likes and will add Richmond IF they can. Maybe they just were not interested in Juco kids this year and decided to go with the HS kids with more years to play.

I noticed that as well. Tennessee is not even mentioned in the "interests" of most if not all the Juco OL guys for 2015. Could be as simple as CBJ has (4) HS guys he likes and will add Richmond IF they can. Maybe they just were not interested in Juco kids this year and decided to go with the HS kids with more years to play.

...after hearing a stat the other day on how most juco O linemen never pan out I understand why.

Still looking for OL?

Four-star offensive tackle Chidi Valentine-Okeke has been reclassified on 247Sports as a member of the class of 2015. He had previously been classified as a 2016 recruit. The move comes following Valentine-Okeke's transfer from Miami's Champagnat Catholic to Faith Baptist Christian Academy in Ludowici, Ga.

At 6-foot-6, 305 pounds, Valentine-Okeke is one of the top offensive linemen in the country regardless of classification and his new class year, slots him as the No. 102 player in the country regardless of position. Valentine-Okeke will be playing in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in January with other 2015 prospects and he plans to make his college decision public at the game. Currently Auburn, Alabama and Georgia are considered favorites in Valentine-Okeke's recruitment and he has already spoken publicly about plans to get on campus for an official visit to Auburn in the near future.

The process is moving fast for the big offensive tackle. Not only has the Nigerian native reclassified to the 2015 class but he also hopes to enroll early.

Still looking for OL?

Four-star offensive tackle Chidi Valentine-Okeke has been reclassified on 247Sports as a member of the class of 2015. He had previously been classified as a 2016 recruit. The move comes following Valentine-Okeke's transfer from Miami's Champagnat Catholic to Faith Baptist Christian Academy in Ludowici, Ga.

At 6-foot-6, 305 pounds, Valentine-Okeke is one of the top offensive linemen in the country regardless of classification and his new class year, slots him as the No. 102 player in the country regardless of position. Valentine-Okeke will be playing in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in January with other 2015 prospects and he plans to make his college decision public at the game. Currently Auburn, Alabama and Georgia are considered favorites in Valentine-Okeke's recruitment and he has already spoken publicly about plans to get on campus for an official visit to Auburn in the near future.

The process is moving fast for the big offensive tackle. Not only has the Nigerian native reclassified to the 2015 class but he also hopes to enroll early.

Just texted this to Butch Jones. He said this was news to him. Thank you Hialeah :hi:

Just texted this to Butch Jones. He said this was news to him. Thank you Hialeah :hi:
tumblr_nc8q9juftv1smmsbuo2_400.jpg

VN Store

Back