Offensive line recruiting

I know he committed to Ole Miss right after Richmond, but is the staff interested at all in Alex Givens?

Dooley recruited O linemen?

He did his first season. He must have known he would only be here for 3-4 seasons because he shut OL recruiting down after that. Either that or nobody told him that, unlike the NFL, college players can only play for 4 years max.

I think we get Sweet in Richmond's place. If Richmond flips, then we take 6 OL in the 2015 class. It makes sense with Hall's injury.

I think we get Sweet in Richmond's place. If Richmond flips, then we take 6 OL in the 2015 class. It makes sense with Hall's injury.

If we could somehow land Sweet and Richmond, then I think the coaches would ask Hall to greyshirt. I think they may ask him to do that anyways, considering the nature of his injury. JMO.

The staff has never asked anyone to grey shirt. They're not going to start now. Hall needs to be rehabbing on campus ASAP.

Isnt there talk of Dylan Jackson eventually being moved to the Oline after a year or two of weight gain?

Worley is doing such a good job considering ..Ran across this again this morning, still raises my temp.....

" True freshman Justin Worley had it made as the Vols' third-string quarterback.

"You cruise when you're a three," Dooley said. "The favorite guy on every team is the third quarterback: puts the hat on; he's got the clipboard; he knows he's not going in."

Worley is doing such a good job considering ..Ran across this again this morning, still raises my temp.....

" True freshman Justin Worley had it made as the Vols' third-string quarterback.

"You cruise when you're a three," Dooley said. "The favorite guy on every team is the third quarterback: puts the hat on; he's got the clipboard; he knows he's not going in."

Yeah, then Dooley sent him in. Most coaches say the exact opposite, that everybody is one injury away from going in. CDD tells them they'll never go in and then gets a wild hare one day and gives them a shot.

Edit: Maybe this was after Worley was sent in? I may need some context before I start my Dooley bashing.

Yeah, then Dooley sent him in. Most coaches say the exact opposite, that everybody is one injury away from going in. CDD tells them they'll never go in and then gets a wild hare one day and gives them a shot.

Edit: Maybe this was after Worley was sent in? I may need some context before I start my Dooley bashing.

He said it the week of Bray breaking his thumb...Still can't believe a redshirt was wasted like that.

Dews was not a GS, he was going to go to prep school. I'm not sure about Swafford, but I thought he was just a regular walk-on.

From my understanding, Dews' case is considered a greyshirt. Swafford was going to greyshirt, but he decided to walk on because he saw opportunity to get playing time last year. The staff wanted him to be an early enrollee with the 2014 class.

Reactions: 1 person
Dews was not a GS, he was going to go to prep school. I'm not sure about Swafford, but I thought he was just a regular walk-on.

I agree. To my understanding, grey shirt eligibility involves signing a letter of intent in February, but enrolling in a community college (or even the university) part time, paying own way at the institution, suspending interaction with football team in any official capacity, and then joining under scholarship at the university for the start of Spring semester......Swafford was a walkon. His meeting with the team, practice, and play last year would have eliminated his grey shirt eligibility.

When a recruit grayshirts, he signs a letter of intent in February but doesn't report for fall practices with his teammates. He delays entry to the school until the spring semester of his freshman year, keeping the NCAA five-year eligibility clock from starting. During that first semester, he can't enroll in college as a full-time student, can't receive his scholarship, can't practice and can't be around the program in any official capacity.

The rise of grayshirting as a trend in football recruiting - ESPN

From my understanding, Dews' case is considered a greyshirt. Swafford was going to greyshirt, but he decided to walk on because he saw opportunity to get playing time last year. The staff wanted him to be an early enrollee with the 2014 class.

Maybe you're right. I didn't know Swafford was told he'd have a scholarship available this year before showing that his level of play was deserved of it. I thought his play last year was what earned the scholarship. You're saying he was told ascholarship was going to be available to him beforehand?

If we could somehow land Sweet and Richmond, then I think the coaches would ask Hall to greyshirt. I think they may ask him to do that anyways, considering the nature of his injury. JMO.

No. Totally disagree. Hall will be on campus in a rehab program. Medical redshirt is the most likely path.

Maybe you're right. I didn't know Swafford was told he'd have a scholarship available this year before showing that his level of play was deserved of it. I thought his play last year was what earned the scholarship. You're saying he was told ascholarship was going to be available to him beforehand?

I am pretty sure that I am correct on Swafford. I may not be correct with the whole greyshirting thing. I did not know that a prospect signs a LOI on signing day when they greyshirt.

No. Totally disagree. Hall will be on campus in a rehab program. Medical redshirt is the most likely path.

Technically speaking, that would be a standard redshirt (albeit for medical reasons). Medical redshirt is when the player is injured (early in the season) and has his play up to that point in the season not count towards his eligibility.

Thanks for the info/link. I actually did not realize a GS locked the school into the kid going forward. I thought it was more less just a promise and the school could easily back out. Signing a LOI gives the kid some security. With UT dropping Dews like they did and hi signing with Marshall, obviously he was not a GS.

They can still back out.

"These schools play roulette with the lives of talented young people. If they run out of scholarships, too bad. The letter of intent signed by the university the previous February is voided. Technically, it's legal to do this. Morally, it is reprehensible."

From the link above

They can still back out.

"These schools play roulette with the lives of talented young people. If they run out of scholarships, too bad. The letter of intent signed by the university the previous February is voided. Technically, it's legal to do this. Morally, it is reprehensible."

From the link above

Well then, I revert back to my previous feeling that no recruit with other offers should consider a GS. Unless the school is locked in, you're just setting yourself up to get burned.

Changing the subject back to the thread title topic, Basilio's X makes some good points in regards to our offensive line recruiting struggles:

I am not going to criticize anything Butch Jones is doing recruiting right now... Regardless of what the recruiting standard is for a team that keeps putting up 5 and 7 seasons Coach Jones and his staff have far and away exceeded expectations on the recruiting trail. I am beyond pleased and I think most Tennessee fans are

However, in the spirit of fairness, given our offensive line issues generally and offensive tackle issues specifically I think it is fair to ask ...

1. what did Missouri see in 2014 mid state offensive tackle prospect Paul Adams that Tennessee didn't? He signed with Missouri last cycle. Tennessee evaluated him but that was about it.

2. How did this staff so badly mis-evaluate Dontavious Blair? Everyone is still hopeful the light bulb will come on for him but he isn’t even in the conversation right now.

3. Right now, the only true tackles on the roster is Coleman Thomas and Blair. Blair is a non-factor. Marquis Pair is a tackle but he hasn’t showed up in 5 years. We have guards playing tackle right now. In this class Tennessee needs MULTIPLE offensive tackles.

The apparent loss of Richmond would not sting as bad if Tennessee had made mid state offensive tackle prospect Alex Givens. It now appears Givens may follow Richmond to Ole Miss. Trying to be fair, there is a trend that is concerning.... Tennessee was a bit slow to pull the trigger on Jashon Robertson and Michael Sawyers last cycle as well as the aforementioned Adams. If James Franklin is still the Coach at Vanderbilt neither Robertson nor Sawyers are wearing orange right now. Givens seems to me to be another our staff has been just a bit slow in pulling the trigger on.

Reactions: 4 people
I also would like to see another true T prospect. Would be nice to flip Richmond, Allen, or Sweet.

But we HAVE to pick up either Love or Frasier at RB. :unsure: Because we can't say no if they want to come here?

VN Store

Back