Off the field issues and ratings

I'd say being arrested for stealing from a locker room has a lot more to do with Bonner being where he's at than those mean old Rivals writers giving him only 3 stars.

And no, I don't think coaches really pay much attention to what Rivals says about a player.

Go back and read the OP. I'm disagreeing with rivals making him a 3 star instead of a 4 star because of his off field issue. It should be performance based from the playing field....You are arguing something totally different.

Interesting. I tend to agree, it seems like maybe these "recruiting services" are overstepping their design. I might buy this philosophy if they also factored in academic ability. In essence if they could knock someone for off-field issues they could make the case that they are just trying to aid the schools in determining who is the best choice. If that is the case, shouldn't academics also be factored in?

This is where the star gazers get it wrong. Coaches probably don't give a whit about the number of stars as far as evaluating players is concerned. I know some fans live and die by star ratings, but coaching staffs just don't. Rating services sole purpose is to sell subscriptions and advertising to maximize profits. That's it folks.

Go back and read the OP. I'm disagreeing with rivals making him a 3 star instead of a 4 star because of his off field issue. It should be performance based from the playing field....You are arguing something totally different.

I am not sure what the world is coming to, however it must be changing because for the first time in my life I agree with Slobber Knocker.

I'm confused. So if rivals and other like sites shouldn't factor in academics or off the field issues should coaches not consider them either?

If I remember correctly these sites are mainly for coaching staffs as this is where they make big chunks of money. They just offer the regular folk access to their info and analysis. I may be wrong here but don't think I am.

If u want a site based solely on physical ability then create one and market it as one.

what they are doing is basically the same thing the nfl does for the draft. every year there are 1st round talented players that fall because of some type of off-field issue. sometimes the player does fine sometimes he does not. i promise you coaches know about this without the aid of recruiting boards. the boards are letting their insiders know. right or wrong, who knows.

Recruiting/Rating Services overstep and expand their scope so that can get more idiots to buy into the product they attempt to sell. Marketing 101.

Bonner = Year 2 starter.

I was on TOS and I saw where barton simmons was explaining why Bonner is a 3 star instead of a 4 star. He said it was because of Bonner's off field "issue". So I asked him why should a players off the field issue or issues be counted against their ranking? And the rating should be based soley on the production on the field...He has not responded yet, but I don't agree with their philosophy...What do y'all think?

Agree wicha - aren't the stars given for a player's potential on the field and not their potential as a solid citizen?

I think it should be between the HS and college coach along with the player. If the coach wants to take a chance on a 4 or 5 star player in spite of their issues, then that's for them to decide, not rivals services. IMO

sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.
For instance, we took a chance with Jamaal Lewis and his shoplifting issue and it worked out. We also took a chance with Daniel Hood and thus far it has worked out.
Other times, it doesn't work out....

Percy Harvin getting ejected from a high school game isn't really comparable to stealing stuff out of a locker room on a visit.

thats what this bonner kid did? wow thats frickin low who was he visiting? lol

i bet he was the kid that robbed kids back packs in pe class all the time

i see he stole out of the uga locker room i see it was ipads ivolved too hard to resist but stupid as hell still :eek:lol:

Last edited:
Coaches should not pay much attention to ratings from recruiting services. Coaches are much better talent evaluators than the guys from the services doing the evaluations.

I think off the field issues should impact ratings. Off the field issues could set up suspensions which equals no playing time on the field and inadvertantly disrupts team chemistry. When you think of a highly rated player, you think of a player who can come in and help the team. If they are always in trouble, they are not helping the team.

Coaches should not pay much attention to ratings from recruiting services. Coaches are much better talent evaluators than the guys from the services doing the evaluations.

I agree somewhat, but there is no way a staff has time to sit down and evaluate every single high school athlete. Recruiting services can help narrow down the search.

I think off the field issues should impact ratings. Off the field issues could set up suspensions which equals no playing time on the field and inadvertantly disrupts team chemistry. When you think of a highly rated player, you think of a player who can come in and help the team. If they are always in trouble, they are not helping the team.

How do you know that they will be in trouble? Rivals is a recruiting service for evaluating talent not choir boys.

How do you know that they will be in trouble? Rivals is a recruiting service for evaluating talent not choir boys.

History tends to repeat itself. I'm not knocking the Bonner pickup (it's okay to take a chance every now and then) but if a guy has issues off the field, it usually catches up to them. Grade issues and arrest records are black and white proof. Saying a kid has had issues or may be a risk isn't a big deal when you have proof.

VN Store

Back