Off the field issues and ratings

SLOBBER_KNOCKER_U

VOL TIL I FALL!
I was on TOS and I saw where barton simmons was explaining why Bonner is a 3 star instead of a 4 star. He said it was because of Bonner's off field "issue". So I asked him why should a players off the field issue or issues be counted against their ranking? And the rating should be based soley on the production on the field...He has not responded yet, but I don't agree with their philosophy...What do y'all think?

I think I remember reading an answer to this at some point on Rivals and they said (not specific to Bonner) that if they had off-field trouble they may be rated lower since they'd be less likely to make an impact. For example, Darren Myles who was kicked off, so he didn't have an impact. I think it's valid for a small drop such as Bonner seeing as he is still a 4-star prospect and doesn't necessarily have a past riddled with arrests that would drop him to say a two star or something.

if your good enough they look passed it percy harvin put hands on a ref and cussed em out as a sr and got suspended a couple games didnt stop him from being #1 overall cuz his highlights were about as good any HS kids ever

I was on TOS and I saw where barton simmons was explaining why Bonner is a 3 star instead of a 4 star. He said it was because of Bonner's off field "issue". So I asked him why should a players off the field issue or issues be counted against their ranking? And the rating should be based soley on the production on the field...He has not responded yet, but I don't agree with their philosophy...What do y'all think?

Interesting. I tend to agree, it seems like maybe these "recruiting services" are overstepping their design. I might buy this philosophy if they also factored in academic ability. In essence if they could knock someone for off-field issues they could make the case that they are just trying to aid the schools in determining who is the best choice. If that is the case, shouldn't academics also be factored in?

Reactions: 1 person

His value to a program might be a 4* but had we known what we now know about Nu Keese and Edwards,
it seems that their value to the program was lessened because they were a risk off the field.
If a woman is an 8, in regards to looks, so to speak, but she is a thief and is un trustworthy. I would say that
she is no longer an 8, as far as her value in a relationship with me. She has baggage. So, did Nu Keese and Edwards.

Ratings should be based solely on a player's on-field ability.

I agree! I don't see what right rivals has to judge a kids character. I think it's BS. So UF,FSU, and Miami's players from the past ten years didn't get bumped down but this guy does?

Well it will make sense if Yuri gets bumped down... it wouldn't be right to only judge some player's character and not other's.

Just watching the film, and if I knew nothing about him, he is easily a 4-star. He has great coverage skills. Hopefully the young man has learned from his mistake and will have a great career at UT.

His value to a program might be a 4* but had we known what we now know about Nu Keese and Edwards,
it seems that their value to the program was lessened because they were a risk off the field.
If a woman is an 8, in regards to looks, so to speak, but she is a thief and is un trustworthy. I would say that
she is no longer an 8, as far as her value in a relationship with me. She has baggage. So, did Nu Keese and Edwards.

I think it should be between the HS and college coach along with the player. If the coach wants to take a chance on a 4 or 5 star player in spite of their issues, then that's for them to decide, not rivals services. IMO

Reactions: 1 person
I agree! I don't see what right rivals has to judge a kids character. I think it's BS. So UF,FSU, and Miami's players from the past ten years didn't get bumped down but this guy does?

When did they get arrested before they enrolled at the schools you mentioned?

Or did they go back and take a star away once they got in trouble as a sophomore in college?

Do they get less money if they rate a troubled kid off the field lower? I wouldn't think so. It's a sign of a rating bias that they claimed doesn't exist.

I think it should be between the HS and college coach along with the player. If the coach wants to take a chance on a 4 or 5 star player in spite of their issues, then that's for them to decide, not rivals services. IMO

Do you honestly think the coaches going after Bonner gives a rat's ass what Rivals ranks him?

if your good enough they look passed it percy harvin put hands on a ref and cussed em out as a sr and got suspended a couple games didnt stop him from being #1 overall cuz his highlights were about as good any HS kids ever

Percy Harvin getting ejected from a high school game isn't really comparable to stealing stuff out of a locker room on a visit.

Do you honestly think the coaches going after Bonner gives a rat's ass what Rivals ranks him?

You can't be nieve and think that coaches don't pay attention to recruiting services. It's not the deciding factor for coaches, but it can somewhat effect their decision on a guy.

You can't be nieve and think that coaches don't pay attention to recruiting services. It's not the deciding factor for coaches, but it can somewhat effect their decision on a guy.

I'd say being arrested for stealing from a locker room has a lot more to do with Bonner being where he's at than those mean old Rivals writers giving him only 3 stars.

And no, I don't think coaches really pay much attention to what Rivals says about a player.

Interesting. I tend to agree, it seems like maybe these "recruiting services" are overstepping their design. I might buy this philosophy if they also factored in academic ability. In essence if they could knock someone for off-field issues they could make the case that they are just trying to aid the schools in determining who is the best choice. If that is the case, shouldn't academics also be factored in?

Excellent point

VN Store

Back