Off-Season Hype

I would predict us to win if the opponent's name wasn't Florida, but it is, so sadly I have to chalk it up as a L till I see otherwise. I also think we're going 10-2, maybe even 11-1 next year though. Losses to UF and 1 of the next 3.

The hype will be well deserved next yr. I bet the FL streak will end next year too. Grier will not be back when we play them. I will be very surprised if we don't end it next year. I know it's FL, but I think it will be our best chance to beat them in a while. I agree that we will go 11-1 or 10-2 next year. I believe we will win the East.

I also believe a lot of us will be dancing like this...
:pepper::pepper::pepper:

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me...

I'm optimistic but until we beat the gators I'll take a wait and see approach.

Reactions: 1 person
Off season should see the following ad nauseum:
Florida streak will never end
Play calling too conservative Debord must go
Debord's hands are tied by CBJ
Should have gone for the TD 4th and 1 against OU
We lost too many to injury 2015
Vandy sucks
Finebaum sucks
Paul Bain will be the highlighted as a "Legend of the game" during his first game.
Much discussion of Kiffin's new job wherever he lands and why he sucks
Dormady will change his name to Dormandy just because
Medly will join the army (left, right, left, right)
Fahr Butch
Kick dat azz
Reoccurring turf threads all off season
Jarrett Guarantano arrives on campus and becomes more popular than Dormandy (remember, he had to change his name).
Guarantano contemplates changing his name to Guarantino..VolNation will screw that up too.
Peyton, new QB coach. When will he announce?
Dobbs can't hit the broad side of a barn
Dobbs for Heisman

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
If Tennessee wins out and finished 9-4 will they receive the kind of hype that they received last Off-Season leading up to the 2016 kick-off?

Boy, so many variables to be dialed in before we can know the answer to this question.

How'd we do in the bowl game? And against whom?

Any coaching changes in the off-season?

Did Cam and/or JRM declare for the draft?

Did any key starters or 2-deep transfer?

How do injuries go in the off-season? Same question for academics and discipline (esp. arrests).

Did we get any "hype momentum" from the '16 signing class?

And that's all before we even get to the spring game. Any of those variables can dial up the hype or tamp it back down.

*sigh* gonna be another loooooong off-season, I fear.

I say we beat Florida next year and keep rolling.

Go Vols!

You do realize Butch will still be our coach next year right? The same guy that gives up trying to score and goes into run out the clock mode sometimes while still in the first half. Lol. I'm not sure we'll ever win any significant games with him at the helm...can't fix...

You do realize Butch will still be our coach next year right? The same guy that gives up trying to score and goes into run out the clock mode sometimes while still in the first half. Lol. I'm not sure we'll ever win any significant games with him at the helm...can't fix...

Part of the enjoyment for me of watching the games is having hope of a win in any given Saturday. You sound hopeless in this post. Beyond your love for the Vols, why do you continue to be interested in the team?

There should be more hype, given that we'll be a Top 10-caliber team.

That will be followed by several VN threads telling everyone to lower their expectations, give it 5 more years, and 9-3 is a successful season.

Yes!

The optimists out there had us winning the east this year but the analysts were saying 2016 was the year as well as others. We didn't win the east but we improved from a 6-6 team to an 8-4 team. There's been a marked improvement this year and it'll only feed the optimism. The stars are aligning.

Boy, so many variables to be dialed in before we can know the answer to this question.

How'd we do in the bowl game? And against whom?

Any coaching changes in the off-season?

Did Cam and/or JRM declare for the draft?

Did any key starters or 2-deep transfer?

How do injuries go in the off-season? Same question for academics and discipline (esp. arrests).

Did we get any "hype momentum" from the '16 signing class?

And that's all before we even get to the spring game. Any of those variables can dial up the hype or tamp it back down.

*sigh* gonna be another loooooong off-season, I fear.

Add to that a 6 game winning streak means were going to win the east.

Battle of Bristol
Fuente
2 qb system.
The back up is always the hero, but what about having 3 qbs who could play anywhere in the country?
Who's going to replace Hurd and Kamara

I certainly hope we win our bowl game, but I believe a little too much emphasis is put on a bowl performance when making predictions for the next season. Just consider Iowa's performance this year after their awful bowl performance, or our performance in 1998 after our awful Orange Bowl performance against Nebraska. For that matter, we had a great Cotton Bowl win against Texas A&M to conclude the 2004 season, and then had awful 2005 season.

I believe I read that Driskel's appeal was revoked. It will probably be Harris in that game.

:)

as for the OP...i'm sure there will be hype no matter what. but it shouldn't be as much as Fl will get after their cinderella season....CJM is their savior, and next year it should be (should they lose Saturday to Bama) all about "unfinished business".

which segways to TN hype train....that train is stalled, and should be, until we beat FL. until that happens, no amount of hype, prognostication, media day love, spring football bliss...etc....is enough to mean anything to the up coming season, until after we beat FL.

if we beat FL, then everything is on the table... SEC east, SEC title, Playoffs.

if we lose to FL, who cares....until/unless FL loses their 2nd conf game?

it's about being relevant past September. period.:salute:

...which segways to TN hype train....that train is stalled, and should be, until we beat FL. until that happens, no amount of hype, prognostication, media day love, spring football bliss...etc....is enough to mean anything to the up coming season, until after we beat FL.

if we beat FL, then everything is on the table... SEC east, SEC title, Playoffs.

Amen.

And, purely for the sheer joy of it, imagine how it might feel when we beat Florida next September 24th.

Ten game win streak, and ticking. Just two weeks prior, played in a game that shattered the attendance record for any football game ever at any level. Break the Gator curse. Marching into the gauntlet of Georgia, A&M, and Bama.

That will be one truly glorious day to be a Tennessee Volunteer.

Let's hope it plays out that way. :good!:

Time to quit being the "Champions of the Off-Season"...and start playing Championship Football. But till then...can we PLEASE get the Outback Bowl...Michigan, Northwestern or some other B1G bunch of Losers and wipe Tampa Bay with 'em??!!

logo30.png

:)

as for the OP...i'm sure there will be hype no matter what. but it shouldn't be as much as Fl will get after their cinderella season....CJM is their savior, and next year it should be (should they lose Saturday to Bama) all about "unfinished business".

which segways to TN hype train....that train is stalled, and should be, until we beat FL. until that happens, no amount of hype, prognostication, media day love, spring football bliss...etc....is enough to mean anything to the up coming season, until after we beat FL.

CJM hasn't really done anything to set himself apart as a coach, not to take anything away from what he did with his team this year. He won with a Good defense thanks to CWM but the offense isn't better than last year, it may be worse.

He will be judged based on his next 2 years to see if he can recruit and develop players, not what he did with someone elses players.

While what Florida did this year is great, they will still need to sustain and CJM will still have a lot to prove CWM won 11 games his second year and then only won 4 the next year. CJM may be better than CWM ( i can almost bet he is) but He still won with alot of players that another coaches recruited so he will have something to prove.

A lot of players on that defense will be going to the NFL next year.

I don't know why, but this message gives me dejavu....

Will Treon Harris be playing qb in that game?

It won't be Will Grier..Will be Harris,a transfer or maybe the big time QB they just got that was committed to LSU. But we won't have to face Grier.

Time to quit being the "Champions of the Off-Season"...and start playing Championship Football. But till then...can we PLEASE get the Outback Bowl...Michigan, Northwestern or some other B1G bunch of Losers and wipe Tampa Bay with 'em??!!

logo30.png

Big 10 isn't the panzy's they have been recently. Ohio St,Iowa,Mich St,Michigan and NW are all top 20 and they have 3 of the top 6 teams in the rankings.

There should be more hype, given that we'll be a Top 10-caliber team.

That will be followed by several VN threads telling everyone to lower their expectations, give it 5 more years, and 9-3 is a successful season.

When we have a coach preaching to lower expectations and needing more time there will be those type of threads. Just like there will be until we beat UF or Ala and start beating ranked teams. Until then most people won't buy in until that gets done first. Sounding like several staff changes are coming so that will be the perfect chance for Butch to upgrade and get more SEC caliber coach's in.

Amen.

And, purely for the sheer joy of it, imagine how it might feel when we beat Florida next September 24th.

Ten game win streak, and ticking. Just two weeks prior, played in a game that shattered the attendance record for any football game ever at any level. Break the Gator curse. Marching into the gauntlet of Georgia, A&M, and Bama.

That will be one truly glorious day to be a Tennessee Volunteer.

Let's hope it plays out that way. :good!:

it's up to 11 now. and if we don't beat them next year, i don't know what it will take to get this done.

i know this....Tennessee football should NEVER be on the losing side of a decade + long losing streak to anyone. that shouldn't be in our DNA as a program.

right now it is, and it needs to end for this program to truly turn the corner, and re establish itself.

then, going forward, this "rivalry" stuff, needs to be more competitive. you simply can't lose 11 in a row to FL 8 or 9 in a row to Bama and be the program you/we think we are.

you know who you are when you're suffering decade long losing streaks to your biggest rivals? Vandy. Kentucky. that's who.

team 120...you want hype? you want to be relevant? come out of Sept undefeated for once. see what that's all about.

this hype stuff is going to piss me off. and we're going to have a whole year of it. there needs to be a very loud and vocal message "get back to me after 9-24".

until we beat FL, talk is just freaking cheap.

it's up to 11 now. and if we don't beat them next year, i don't know what it will take to get this done.

No, Jake, you misunderstand me. I was playing the just-for-fun hypothetical where we are riding a 10-game win streak (5 right now, up to 6 with a bowl win, then 3 more wins prior to Florida next fall, then the FL game = 10) through a victory over Florida next Sep 24th. That comment wasn't about the FL streak at all.

Like I said originally, just for the sheer joy of it, something to imagine. :)

VN Store

Back