Number 4 QB

Barnett was a 4 star top 200 player, whom impacted since the day he stepped on campus. Dobbs was critized for his lack of development as a passer. Sutton also hasn't really improved since his sophomore year.

The draft is based on talent, and our coaches are great at evaluating. I would say they are top 10 in that regard. If our player development improves, Jones will be here for awhile and I'll be wrong.

Performance is more important. They have to play to even have their potential/talent judged. Barnett, Dobbs, or Sutton weren't drafted on potential. It was because of their performance, which is directly related to player development. You honestly think that these guys never got better from high school? Your hate for Butch has blinded you. I'll stop now because we aren't going to agree. I believe player development is going on at UT & you do not. There could be worse disagreements for sure.

Performance is more important. They have to play to even have their potential/talent judged. Barnett, Dobbs, or Sutton weren't drafted on potential. It was because of their performance, which is directly related to player development. You honestly think that these guys never got better from high school? Your hate for Butch has blinded you. I'll stop now because we aren't going to agree. I believe player development is going on at UT & you do not. There could be worse disagreements for sure.

Dobbs and Sutton were drafted based on potential. Barnett was developed pretty good by Stripling. After reading about Lewis, I didn't give Stripling enough credit.

They did get better from high school, we're debating how much better. The proof of development problems is in our depth last year.

Barnett was a 4 star top 200 player, whom impacted since the day he stepped on campus. Dobbs was critized for his lack of development as a passer. Sutton also hasn't really improved since his sophomore year.

The draft is based on talent, and our coaches are great at evaluating. I would say they are top 10 in that regard. If our player development improves, Jones will be here for awhile and I'll be wrong.

i don't really disagree with anything you've posted, regarding your thoughts on the future under Jones. up to this point, it is what it is. and if there is one thing that leaves doubt in my mind, it is that Jones is still the captain.

however, at this point, knowing he's here, and he's not going anywhere, the staff changes that have taken place, and the fact that the recruiting is on the up presently, there are at least some signs that the this could go in another direction than you've suggested. i think it's important that this team "look" the part, even if we don't necessarily get all the results we'd like. combine that with a strong finish in the 18 cycle (and it's set up to do just that with the in state talent pool, and some of the commitments we've gotten), and you could be looking at 2018 as another opportunity for a highmark, signature type season.

i don't expect it to happen this year though. too much transition to expect it all to click in one off season.

he's getting an opportunity to rebuild the rebuild. so we'll see what happens. he's already better than Dooley, but that's not the bar.. it's his program now, and that benchmark no longer applies. whatever happens, good or bad, is on his watch, with no other comparison relevant, except what he can or can't do next.

i don't really disagree with anything you've posted, regarding your thoughts on the future under Jones. up to this point, it is what it is. and if there is one thing that leaves doubt in my mind, it is that Jones is still the captain.

however, at this point, knowing he's here, and he's not going anywhere, the staff changes that have taken place, and the fact that the recruiting is on the up presently, there are at least some signs that the this could go in another direction than you've suggested. i think it's important that this team "look" the part, even if we don't necessarily get all the results we'd like. combine that with a strong finish in the 18 cycle (and it's set up to do just that with the in state talent pool, and some of the commitments we've gotten), and you could be looking at 2018 as another opportunity for a highmark, signature type season.

i don't expect it to happen this year though. too much transition to expect it all to click in one off season.

he's getting an opportunity to rebuild the rebuild. so we'll see what happens. he's already better than Dooley, but that's not the bar.. it's his program now, and that benchmark no longer applies. whatever happens, good or bad, is on his watch, with no other comparison relevant, except what he can or can't do next.

I actually don't see much difference between Jones and Fulmer in terms of coaching skill set. I don't think Jones will win the SEC or Natty ever. You never know though because after Saban, the rest of the coaches are average at best.

I actually don't see much difference between Jones and Fulmer in terms of coaching skill set. I don't think Jones will win the SEC or Natty ever. You never know though because after Saban, the rest of the coaches are average at best.

They both seem like they would prefer to quick kick on some long 3rd downs. I don't recall Coach Fulmer ever actually doing it, or CBJ, but seems like Coach Majors did it at least once that I can recall.

Both conservative by nature. We'll see how it turns out for CBJ. It seems the clock is ticking and rightly so.

They both seem like they would prefer to quick kick on some long 3rd downs. I don't recall Coach Fulmer ever actually doing it, or CBJ, but seems like Coach Majors did it at least once that I can recall.

Both conservative by nature. We'll see how it turns out for CBJ. It seems the clock is ticking and rightly so.

I think it's contradictory to be conservative while running the HUNH offense. If he becomes more aggressive or if Scott is agressive, watch out!

I think it's contradictory to be conservative while running the HUNH offense. If he becomes more aggressive or if Scott is agressive, watch out!

Don't kid yourself. CBJ is conservative. Look at his hair cut, that's not some free spirit that is waiting to show their inner thoughts. He is a professional. He dislikes refs, I'm guessing it has to do with his dad being a Police Officer.

Grind out wins by wearing them down, I'm fine with that. Last year had many close games, it was never boring, I'm not against blowout wins either.

Butch wants to run a bland offense and boring defense by out working and out executing the most basic of plays. Every play doesn't have to be a Double reverse, Statue of Liberty, QB throwback, hook and ladder(I would like to see that.).

Don't kid yourself. CBJ is conservative. Look at his hair cut, that's not some free spirit that is waiting to show their inner thoughts. He is a professional. He dislikes refs, I'm guessing it has to do with his dad being a Police Officer.

Grind out wins by wearing them down, I'm fine with that. Last year had many close games, it was never boring, I'm not against blowout wins either.

Butch wants to run a bland offense and boring defense by out working and out executing the most basic of plays. Every play doesn't have to be a Double reverse, Statue of Liberty, QB throwback, hook and ladder(I would like to see that.).

The problem is with HUNH, you're trying to run as many plays in as little time as you can. If you keep going 3 and out by being conservative, you'll leave your defense out there for a long time. David Shaw is also just as conservative,but he will grind out the clock, so his defense will have a break. How do you think Shaw beat Oregon? By forcing them to go 3 and out, then making Oregon's defense pay.

The problem is with HUNH, you're trying to run as many plays in as little time as you can. If you keep going 3 and out by being conservative, you'll leave your defense out there for a long time. David Shaw is also just as conservative,but he will grind out the clock, so his defense will have a break. How do you think Shaw beat Oregon? By forcing them to go 3 and out, then making Oregon's defense pay.

Playing the speed offense worked. It wore the defense down till they started cramping and take an injury timeout then we would lose that advantage.

When you get the matchup you want, why give them a chance to change.

Playing the speed offense worked. It wore the defense down till they started cramping and take an injury timeout then we would lose that advantage.

When you get the matchup you want, why give them a chance to change.

Oh definitely, would never deny that. I'm just saying when a HUNH offense tries to play field position football, they usually get smoked.

Oh definitely, would never deny that. I'm just saying when a HUNH offense tries to play field position football, they usually get smoked.

Just gotta keep running the system. It's even easier to stop when you take the pass option out of the equation.

To ice a game we have yet to pass the ball.

I would like to see that change.

Just gotta keep running the system. It's even easier to stop when you take the pass option out of the equation.

To ice a game we have yet to pass the ball.

I would like to see that change.

If you run the system to death to 3 and outs, it will be a blow out. It's how Muschamp beats us.

ok, not sure what that has to do with what i posted, but in general i agree. situationally, they're both fairly conservative, and will rely on "the chart"...and play percentages.

but even still, that got FUlmer 2 SEC titles, 5 divisions, and a natty. it also got him fired. he and butch may also be dependent on those around him, which is fine. assuming the changes Butch has made, turn out better than some of the changes Fulmer made.

i still see potential for light at the end of the tunnel with Butch, given the changes he's made. at the very least, it's not lost on him that things have to change, to do more than has been done.

how much change he puts on himself, unknown. but with all the other technical aspects at the position coach level, there's been recognition and action. and the talent level overall has been upgraded. you get the right combination, good things can happen.

so we'll see.

If you run the system to death to 3 and outs, it will be a blow out. It's how Muschamp beats us.

goes back to situational football. in that regard, that's my chief criticism of the conservative, predictable nature of his coaching style.

we have yet to ice a close, big game with the ball in our hands, not giving the other team a chance to win.

It's when we need to run clock but get predictable that's how to go 3 and out.

3 turnovers to 0 was a factor, way more than Muschamp.

Which is why we have to be aggressive on offense.

aggressive covers a lot of ground....and you could argue, that on the whole, they have been "aggressive".

it's the failure in situational football to take advantage of whatever match ups could be created as a result of what you've already done the rest of the game that is frustrating.

he relies on the chart, will play percentages, and play not to make a mistake vs. doing what is necessary to get a 1st down in 2 min or 4 min offense. regardless of what the defense is showing you, and what you may have been successful at given similar looks during the game, you do what you've shown you'll do, simply because the situation says "this is what you do".

and we're consistent in that regard. even in games we've won, like UGA the past two years, you go back and watch those last offensive possessions in those 2 and 4 min offensive situations, same things happen.

so you don't have to necessarily be "aggressive", you just need to be efficient, and sometimes just use the game plan you've created to get the match ups you wanted to get...after all, you've put yourself in a position to win the game with the ball in your hands, and chances are it's because, to some degree, what you've wanted to do, planned to do, has worked. so use that. don't scrap it, and go back to the handbook, and hope.

aggressive covers a lot of ground....and you could argue, that on the whole, they have been "aggressive".

it's the failure in situational football to take advantage of whatever match ups could be created as a result of what you've already done the rest of the game that is frustrating.

he relies on the chart, will play percentages, and play not to make a mistake vs. doing what is necessary to get a 1st down in 2 min or 4 min offense. regardless of what the defense is showing you, and what you may have been successful at given similar looks during the game, you do what you've shown you'll do, simply because the situation says "this is what you do".

and we're consistent in that regard. even in games we've won, like UGA the past two years, you go back and watch those last offensive possessions in those 2 and 4 min offensive situations, same things happen.

so you don't have to necessarily be "aggressive", you just need to be efficient, and sometimes just use the game plan you've created to get the match ups you wanted to get...after all, you've put yourself in a position to win the game with the ball in your hands, and chances are it's because, to some degree, what you've wanted to do, planned to do, has worked. so use that. don't scrap it, and go back to the handbook, and hope.

Both true and correct. That's where the hype conservatism shows. Our offensive identity is to go fast and furious. We built our team around it. When we try to be over conservative, it often ends up in 3 and outs because our squads we're not built for Stanford football.

Both true and correct. That's where the hype conservatism shows. Our offensive identity is to go fast and furious. We built our team around it. When we try to be over conservative, it often ends up in 3 and outs because our squads we're not built for Stanford football.

agreed.

goes back to situational football. in that regard, that's my chief criticism of the conservative, predictable nature of his coaching style.

we have yet to ice a close, big game with the ball in our hands, not giving the other team a chance to win.

I know it makes me want to run my head through the TV screen, which looks eerily similar to the play we run over and over under 4 minutes.

Neither did Dobbs? He was thrown into the Alabama game both his Freshman and Sophomore seasons!!!

Not to mention that his first start came as a freshman at SEC East Division champ/#9 ranked Missouri. And he didn't go 4-11 for 5 yards, 2 ints and a .7 qbr. He set a freshman completion record by completing 26 passes....also led the team in rushing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Not to mention that his first start came as a freshman at SEC East Division champ/#9 ranked Missouri. And he didn't go 4-11 for 5 yards, 2 tds and a .7 qbr. He set a freshman completion record by completing 26 passes....also led the team in rushing.

I completely forgot about that game, Dobbs was a beast and I hope he does great in the NFL, even if it does prove D4H to be correct!!! LOL:)

I completely forgot about that game, Dobbs was a beast and I hope he does great in the NFL, even if it does prove D4H to be correct!!! LOL:)

D4H is completely inconsequential.

Agree. We all love Josh Dobbs and wish him all the success in the world.

VN Store

Back