Not too early....Utah State article

HHAHAHA!! If they think Pig is our biggest threat at WR they are in for one hell of a surprise

No doubt. I'd say at this point Pig hardly even registers as a backup slot receiver. Malone, North and Pearson, maybe even Croom are gonna ruin their day.

I usually disagree with you, but just to show I'm a fair guy:)hi:) I will quote you and agree here.

Worley was god awful in the first few games BUT really picked it up as he grew more confident. He still didn't show to be a top QB, but he showed to be efficient and manage the offense. Now we are so stocked at WR that our leader in receptions may wind up 4rth or 5th in receptions this year. The best corner USU has by their own admission is Gray. It's my hope that USU blitzes, they will pay. I envision a lot of hitches going for another 20 yards of YAC. Worley can easily get the ball out in 2 seconds and find Pearson in the slot and boom, 70 yards with a bunch of USU guys chasing him.

I know you say 17 point win a lot, and I can honestly see at least that big of a win. The one caveat is that UT can make enough mistakes(young amped up players) that it could keep a solid USU team in the game.

I still think 31-17 final - but I fully admit I am pulling that out of my ass.
LOL

You make some good points. FTR, I don't always disagree with you... I just don't cheerlead when we agree.

I think you are correct about the mistakes. However they'll have a bunch of first time starters and contributors as well. If the mistakes on their side, it could get very, very ugly.

They said Utahs 'all-star' defense?

USU's d was a top ten unit statistically in 2013. They had to cover for what was an abysmal offense at the end of the year. USU played a lesser SOS certainly, but it was still a strong unit. We'll see if it's still "all-star" this year.

They're kidding if they think that Pig is the most dangerous weapon we have. North, Malone, Pearson and even Croom will have huge days and don't forget that we have 2 really good TE. I would expect that they will try to bring pressure, but I'd say Butch has Worley in the shotgun and that will buy him enough time to torch their secondary. Hurd and Lane will have huge days rushing as well. I think that he's forgotten about Curt Maggitt, JRM and Cam Sutton. This game will be close until half and then our superior athletes will run away with this game!

USU's d was a top ten unit statistically in 2013. They had to cover for what was an abysmal offense at the end of the year. USU played a lesser SOS certainly, but it was still a strong unit. We'll see if it's still "all-star" this year.

I believe I saw the answer somewhere but figured I'd ask you since you have been objective and courteous and I can't remember, but is that adjusting for strength of schedule? I respect your defense, don't misunderstand me. I do especially since we're so young, but I would respect it more were it statistically top 10 versus our schedule last year. I mean no disrespect, I am legitimately curious.

I don't think USU has an understanding of the hornets nest they are about to step into. ESPN has been talking them up to the point that they believe it.

Reactions: 1 person
Always good to try to guess the outcome of an events ending in the future. But, as someone said, that's why they play the game. You can't guess the outcome in some cases.

8575.jpg

frntpg.bmp

SUGARVOLSDVD-c.jpg

I believe I saw the answer somewhere but figured I'd ask you since you have been objective and courteous and I can't remember, but is that adjusting for strength of schedule? I respect your defense, don't misunderstand me. I do especially since we're so young, but I would respect it more were it statistically top 10 versus our schedule last year. I mean no disrespect, I am legitimately curious.

NCAA® Statistics

Good question, and no that stat doesn't take into account SOS. A top 10 defense playing an SEC schedule would be much more impressive (hi Alabama, Florida). We don't play the competition every single week that you do. I was also rating us higher than I should have, we were number 12 in total defense. To give you a perspective on individual talent on defense we have five: Alexander, Lawson, Doughty, Glover-Wright, Pataili'i players on NFL rosters currently that started last year (I'm sure that will change). Individual talent is one thing, but the unit also plays very well together and swarms to the football. They don't have the athleticism that you'd see in the SEC, but they are disciplined and hard working that goes a long ways.

Probably a longer answer than you were looking for. I don't think the D will be as good this year as last, especially considering what we lost in the secondary, but the front seven will still be solid. Don't expect to run on us easily- passing... well that's another story.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Anybody catch the part about their recruiting class being 101? Good grief!

Vols by 20

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

Heard this one before. It is one game, anything can happen. Top recruiting classes don't always mean on the field results. Ask Texas the last five years about that one.

Heard this one before. It is one game, anything can happen. Top recruiting classes don't always mean on the field results. Ask Texas the last five years about that one.

How many night game season openers has Utah State played versus major non-conference opponents?

The crowds at Neyland are typically better for season openers and night games. Since the USU game is both it should be a good crowd. Sunday night on National TV will be electric.

I'm sure USU is better than most non-Conf foes we typically schedule, but Neyland at its best can be a very intimidating environment.

VN Store

Back