Not too early....Utah State article

I do not approve of the writer's use of 'UTenn.' I don't like 'UTK' either.

'UT' or 'Tennessee' is sufficient.

to be fair growing up in chattanooga if you were talking about UT you had to say UTK. he probably has to use that designation because they are more on the level of UTC than UT so it did not bother me to much

Only on VN do Mormons get bashed for their beliefs. WTF!

Well they believe that Jesus came to America and left golden tablets that could only be translated by Joseph Smith looking into a hat and "reading them".

And it's inherently racist against native Americans with the Nephite/Lamanite thing.

They're all wonderful, friendly people but I see nothing wrong with mocking that.

Reactions: 2 people
If I were on UT's staff, I would try to use my superior athletes at WR to knock USU out early. They'll try to get pressure but UT's size, speed, and strength at WR should allow them to hit shorter routes for big gains. UT also has numerous players that can turn a screen into a big play now.

I agree..WR is a strength for us and DB is one of their weaknesses. Worley could end up with over 300 yds. in this game.

I admit, Keeton is an excellent quarterback and him playing well definitely factors into this game by a lot. I honestly wonder, however, if the coaches will even let him go full speed against us. This will be his first full contact game since his surgery, in one of the most hostile environments in all of CFB. Were I a prudent man at the helm on the other side, I'd want my QB at his best for conference play. For them, beating us would be a huge accomplishment, but I wonder if letting him run it is worth putting his surgically repaired knee to the test before conference play has even begun.

That, and I do believe the author of that article has not done his research, especially with regards to our WRs.

I admit, Keeton is an excellent quarterback and him playing well definitely factors into this game by a lot. I honestly wonder, however, if the coaches will even let him go full speed against us. This will be his first full contact game since his surgery, in one of the most hostile environments in all of CFB. Were I a prudent man at the helm on the other side, I'd want my QB at his best for conference play. For them, beating us would be a huge accomplishment, but I wonder if letting him run it is worth putting his surgically repaired knee to the test before conference play has even begun.

That, and I do believe the author of that article has not done his research, especially with regards to our WRs.

Not playing full speed is how you get hurt. He will either play and be pretty much 100% or he will sit.

I think he plays. But I don't think it is enough to beat us

Not playing full speed is how you get hurt. He will either play and be pretty much 100% or he will sit.

I think he plays. But I don't think it is enough to beat us

Well, I've also seen even some Aggie fans say that the reason he gets hurt is that when he runs, he's good at it but has no regard as to protection for himself.

I personally think he'll play but one good hit, or twinge of pain in that knee, it might be a mental barrier to him.

I also want to point out I think the atmosphere and crowd that night are going to play a large factor in this game. Larger than some will admit.

Reactions: 1 person
The problem with these predictions is that they're based on "we return this guy in this position, they don't" What this guy fails to look at is overall talent.

Although we've had some tough years we've still managed to get some 4 and 5 star guys to pan out, we just don't have enough of them yet. This freshman class might have the most significant impact out of any class in the nation.

Look UT won't struggle this year with the mobile QBs. We have both Maggitt and hopefully Weathered who we will use on blitzes and as spies. Keaton wont run wild in Neyland and if he does he'll leave hurt.

HHAHAHA!! If they think Pig is our biggest threat at WR they are in for one hell of a surprise

I'm thinking, he put less than 30 minutes of research on the Vols into this. I don't think he is very knowledgeable of USU either. Probably looked up leading receptions, tackles and QBs and threw up a WAG.

Pig might be third string come August 31 and not because he is getting any worse. I expect us to light up that pitiful USU secondary early and often...bad day for transfer Gray. Even if we have some issues with LT, I expect to run up the middle at will with Lane, Hurd, Scott and Pickett steamrolling USU defense.

Our defense may not have a top shelf SEC Dline but they would be ranked at least in the top two in Mountain West. Our LBs and Secondary are collectively better than anything in MW conference too.

All they have is Keetan coming off injury and #2 & 3 RBs from last year. I doubt their only returning WR starter will play and may not be on team due to theft charges!

Maybe writer was slysdexic and meant UT 31 USU 21. That would be optimistic as well UT 38 USU 13 more like it.

Look UT won't struggle this year with the mobile QBs. We have both Maggitt and hopefully Weathered who we will use on blitzes and as spies. Keaton wont run wild in Neyland and if he does he'll leave hurt.

Agreed. And as I keep saying I wonder if they'll hold him back somewhat since it's his first game. He's less than a year removed from surgery on one of the parts of the body that takes the most impact from running and low hits.

Honestly, I watched the guys hilight film and yes, he is really talented, however, I wouldn't think he's just going to be the same QB 100% again in the very first game. It could take some time.

Last year he would have given our Sand Mountain Molassas Defense fits just like AUB, Mizzou, etc.

This season we have much better team speed and containment, especially on the edges.

We aren't losing a game to one player.

Keeton is headin for a beatin!!!

I agree..WR is a strength for us and DB is one of their weaknesses. Worley could end up with over 300 yds. in the first half.

FYP

Based on what their fans are saying, they know their secondary is a weakness and will try to put pressure on Worley. They don't expect much resistance from UT's OL.

In all honesty, that's probably the worst thing they could do with Worley. He's a pretty good decision maker. All they'll be forcing him to do is choose the right receiver and throw a playable ball. If I am them... I don't want Worley throwing slants, hitches, and fades all day.

I'd replace Weatherd with JRM. That kid is a heat seeking missile.

Reactions: 3 people
FYP

Based on what their fans are saying, they know their secondary is a weakness and will try to put pressure on Worley. They don't expect much resistance from UT's OL.

In all honesty, that's probably the worst thing they could do with Worley. He's a pretty good decision maker. All they'll be forcing him to do is choose the right receiver and throw a playable ball. If I am them... I don't want Worley throwing slants, hitches, and fades all day.

I usually disagree with you, but just to show I'm a fair guy:)hi:) I will quote you and agree here.

Worley was god awful in the first few games BUT really picked it up as he grew more confident. He still didn't show to be a top QB, but he showed to be efficient and manage the offense. Now we are so stocked at WR that our leader in receptions may wind up 4rth or 5th in receptions this year. The best corner USU has by their own admission is Gray. It's my hope that USU blitzes, they will pay. I envision a lot of hitches going for another 20 yards of YAC. Worley can easily get the ball out in 2 seconds and find Pearson in the slot and boom, 70 yards with a bunch of USU guys chasing him.

I know you say 17 point win a lot, and I can honestly see at least that big of a win. The one caveat is that UT can make enough mistakes(young amped up players) that it could keep a solid USU team in the game.

I still think 31-17 final - but I fully admit I am pulling that out of my ass.

I usually disagree with you, but just to show I'm a fair guy:)hi:) I will quote you and agree here.

Worley was god awful in the first few games BUT really picked it up as he grew more confident. He still didn't show to be a top QB, but he showed to be efficient and manage the offense. Now we are so stocked at WR that our leader in receptions may wind up 4rth or 5th in receptions this year. The best corner USU has by their own admission is Gray. It's my hope that USU blitzes, they will pay. I envision a lot of hitches going for another 20 yards of YAC. Worley can easily get the ball out in 2 seconds and find Pearson in the slot and boom, 70 yards with a bunch of USU guys chasing him.

I know you say 17 point win a lot, and I can honestly see at least that big of a win. The one caveat is that UT can make enough mistakes(young amped up players) that it could keep a solid USU team in the game.

I still think 31-17 final - but I fully admit I am pulling that out of my ass.

Worley will be more experienced this year. It's obvious he's putting in the work in the off season, and with the WR talent we have, and I keep saying this because I believe it, he's gonna look much better than last year.

Our WRs are going to be stronger, faster, and more athletic than their secondary. If we are even on the field of play in every other position, and only one thing saves us in the end and pulls the game out for us, it's going to be that. If we have 3-4 seconds to get the ball out and good to great QB/WR play, it's going to be a nightmare matchup for the returning Mr. Gray and his compatriots. Kind of ironic that he's on their team if you ask me. Hope he gets a warm welcome home, in all seriousness.

Last edited:
Here is my way too early prediction of the Utah State-UT game.
Utah State will hang around in the first half due mainly to many youngsters getting their first start for UT. Chucky Keeton will keep them in this game until late in the third quarter at which time the VOLS offensive line will take over getting the running game going with pancake blocks. Three TN running back go over 100 yards and TN wins by more than 10.
I sit in the stands and soak up the victory, listening to Rocky Top all night long.

We will win by 4 Tds.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back