Not happy with RB depth

A gift for EZE:
blue-paint-brush-and-can-md.png

Reactions: 6 people
Do some people think coaching staffs hand pick who and how many players come to a certain position? Did they purppsely load up on DL and not put any emphasis on RBs? Come on guys.

Seriously, Butch has worked absolute miracles on this roster in a short period of time. Running back depth could be better, but if he has some laggard position groups at this point, you can't crucify him for it. It should be expected.

QB concerns me a whole lot more than RB to be honest. But, I don't blame Butch for it. He has had some unexpected bad breaks there and it is what it is. He is doing all you can do. Get better with each signing class.

He has had some unexpected breaks at RB too. Paulk dismissed, etc. In time, with some support, I think he will have the roster loaded across the board.

Reactions: 1 person
You really have no clue what you're talking about if you think every roster deficiency should have been corrected in a class he had roughly 2 months to recruit.

Of all the (perfectly fair) gripes someone may have with CBJ... we have a guy complaining about the one thing which has been a home run, recruiting.

I'm stunned.

He literally used a blue font!

Butch diidn't have a a choice he had to recruit OL an DL in his first two classes. It's easier to build RB depth and he will address that issue in the '16 class. :yes:

I wanted to see if it was needed. I thought those were very obvious. I guess not.
I got it, EZE. I'm sure a lot of us did. My first thought when I read your post was "Somebody's gona' misread EZE's post and let go with a zinger." Naturally some did just that. Consider yourself shot at and missed by some well-meaning VNers. Next time, though, when you're being sarcastic...use Blue fonts.

Butch diidn't have a a choice he had to recruit OL an DL in his first two classes. It's easier to build RB depth and he will address that issue in the '16 class. :yes:

And its not like he chooses who comes to UT. He has no control over it really. Not sure why people complain. Great kickers and punters rarely go to Bama. Is that Sabans fault?

Just signed Young today....There you go a ** RB Diamond in the Rough. Blueshirt. Check the article about the ***** star vs the **** star vs the *** star vs the ** star and which ones seem to get into the NFL more often. This kid is a ** star but who knows the evaluation process on the National level can't rate them all accurately.

Some people just can't handle that Jones has or ever will come up short on anything. RB recruiting is a legitimate short-coming at this point.

Depth and the quality of that depth at RB is a potentially big problem. For whatever reason, he has not been able to sign and retain good RB's. Hurd is the only returnee or proven player at the position. No matter how you explain or excuse it, it isn't "success" when you only return one scholarship RB after two years in charge of the program.

Just signed Young today....There you go a ** RB Diamond in the Rough. Blueshirt. Check the article about the ***** star vs the **** star vs the *** star vs the ** star and which ones seem to get into the NFL more often. This kid is a ** star but who knows the evaluation process on the National level can't rate them all accurately.

Honest question. Can a "blue shirt" play this fall or do they have to wait until '16?

I understand what you are saying but you have to fill all of your needs.

Actually, we had a pretty solid RB class, but the coaches encouraged committed RBs like Rocky Reid and Kendall Bussey to look elsewhere (or tried, unsuccessfully, to downgrade their spot to grayshirt or blueshirt). A lot of people questioned it at the time. For all our talent, injuries at QB or RB will be cause for serious concern.

Our best #3 RB might end up being Evan Berry, since RDAIV and Joc Bruce have been tagged as slot receivers.

Honest question. Can a "blue shirt" play this fall or do they have to wait until '16?

Best guess. Yes. I thought you would know the answer to this. I would assume though that a Blue shirt would naturally be Redshirted but eligible.

BlueShirts are eligible to both enroll and play during the initial fall semester following their high school graduation or junior college transfer, but are not counted as an incoming scholarship player until the following year’s recruiting class.

GrayShirts are not permitted to enroll or play immediately out of high school.

Last edited:

A blueshirt can report in July as a preferred walk-on and be put on scholarship at the end of fall camp. Their scholarship can be forward-counted to 2016. We will already have a smaller 2016 class, though, so this is not without risk.

Some people just can't handle that Jones has or ever will come up short on anything. RB recruiting is a legitimate short-coming at this point.

Depth and the quality of that depth at RB is a potentially big problem. For whatever reason, he has not been able to sign and retain good RB's. Hurd is the only returnee or proven player at the position. No matter how you explain or excuse it, it isn't "success" when you only return one scholarship RB after two years in charge of the program.

Derrell Scott was injured, got upset and left. Paulk punched a woman in the face. Both highly regarded running backs. I know you enjoy the role of the "realist", but I don't see how CBJ is at fault here. Just unfortunate

Reactions: 9 people
This bothers me more than any other position. Butch has had time to build this up but we're as thin as you can get even with no injuries.

Third string RB is not even on campus yet and he's not an every down back.

Not like Butch hasn't tried - lots of bad luck with RBs recruited thus far.

Jabo Lee offer rescinded due to his injury situation - wasn't upfront with the coaches.
Paulk legal issue / dismissed.
Scott unhappy / transferred.

VN Store

Back