nortwestern football players looking to join a union

I don't see why they couldn't. Not ridiculous at all, if anything this makes more sense the last 100 years of college sports.

So what are the percentages of college athletes that go on to professional careers?

Many if not most probably know they will never get to that next level. But they keep running track, spiking a volleyball or hitting a softball. Why? Because they are on a paid trip to get an education. Those sports might not be as glamorous as football or basketball, but they would have to fall under the same rules. And what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

So instead of reforming the way things are done with additional safeguards for catastrophic injuries (LG's words) and basically telling this whiny snot at NWU to shut his hole, the 1,281 institutions under the NCAA and the 35,000 athletes will have to get paid for running track or the universities face a strike. Is this "fair?" So what happens if they go on strike? Do they need to continue going to class? Do they continue to utilize the student dorms or eat in the cafeteria? Students on a full ride to get an education that costs a minimum of $15,000 a year (Ashford) to $61,000 (New York University) for anyone else should get paid on top of that?

Frankly, I believe this Colter is doing little more than vying for attention rather than believing in the cause. The whole rebel without a clue syndrome. He has zero idea what the long term ramifications of this are and has zero idea how this can and will be exploited by unions today.

So pay them $11,500 a year plus tuition, room/board? Have you lost your mind? Thats an extra million dollars just for the football teams alone.

Then you would see alot of collegiate sports fold up shop. Is that what you want?

Then what stops the Johnny Footballs of the world demanding more money?

They all have a choice....they can either play or not. I'm still paying back loans to UT (15 years later). I worked my ass off in college just to have food and a place to stay.

You probably never thought with a sense of entitlement. You probably thought that you got what you worked for. It is not like that now.

Real fair. Grad students participate in research projects that benefit others and they do not get paid but have a chance to build a resume just like an athlete does. Athletes should not be shown favoritism in consideration of other academic students.

This is nothing more than the fact that we live in an age of entitlement.

Grad students have no restrictions as to who they can be paid by (in general) and are free to go to work for X after leaving Y. Even free interns are becoming a thing of the past in many states.

For the record, I don't think the colleges need to pay them but there really should very few restrictions on the players either way... just like every other industry.

To this is not necessarily a pay to play problem... it's a control and collusion problem. It's organized crime on a huge scale and nobody wants to go after the mob.

I don't see how your comments address the huge problems the NCAA/Schools has. Paying them is only one part of the problem and paying them would actually re-enforce the other issues which you didn't address.

So, you say let School A pay Player A $15k to play then charge him, right, well School B will up it and say they will pay $20k and no tuition charge. At that point the student is an employee of the school.

I am not sure the student's are per see "employees" but they sure are "contractors". IMHO under law there is no such thing as student-athlete, this is a made up term the schools use so that they don't follow existing law.

I have no idea why DAs around the country allow the sports racket at the college and professional level to continue.

I'm just tired of people making it out like all these universities are taking such advantage of these young adults...because that is what they are. Adults. If by chance the child is only seventeen at the time of signing the scholarship their parents or legal guardian has to sign all documents. Also, scholarship terms are in writing. If you don't like the terms then don't sign the scholarship papers. Every student athlete willing accepted the terms of the very situation they are b!*ching about right now. Suck it up and welcome to the life of an adult.

I'm just tired of people making it out like all these universities are taking such advantage of these young adults...because that is what they are. Adults. If by chance the child is only seventeen at the time of signing the scholarship their parents or legal guardian has to sign all documents.

Whether they are child or elderly is not important, but it is a large organized racket either way.

Also, scholarship terms are in writing. If you don't like the terms then don't sign the scholarship papers. Every student athlete willing accepted the terms of the very situation they are b!*ching about right now. Suck it up and welcome to the life of an adult.

Sorry, you don't understand. The scholarship itself is not necessarily a problem, but it could be. However the bigger problem is collusion.... if we were talking about one school then that would not be a problem... the problem being they have all colluded i.e. blacklist and racket.

These kids are either "employees" or "contractors", which opens of a big can of worms.

If running a racket is silliness then I agree.

This does not happen in any other industry that I know of other than the mob.

If it were a racket then you can stop that by creating farm leagues and eliminating the schools. The players use the schools just as much as the schools use the players.

I think the real solution to your issue is that we create 20% tax on pro athlete's income to pay for the development of future athletes since they are really the ones who benefit from this "racket." That way we have a self serving system that can feed off its own success or failure.

If it were a racket then you can stop that by creating farm leagues and eliminating the schools. The players use the schools just as much as the schools use the players.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean anything. I mean technically you could open up your own rival garbage collection co. to go against the mob but that does not stop what the mob is doing as legal.

I think the real solution to your issue is that we create 20% tax on pro athlete's income to pay for the development of future athletes since they are really the ones who benefit from this "racket." That way we have a self serving system that can feed off its own success or failure.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Frankly, I believe this Colter is doing little more than vying for attention rather than believing in the cause. The whole rebel without a clue syndrome. He has zero idea what the long term ramifications of this are and has zero idea how this can and will be exploited by unions today.

Well, this has been a long time coming like they said on ESPN, heck I have been talking about this for years on this forum. This is not going to be the last problem, their problems are only starting now.

I believe the solution is simple, the athlete should be treated just like ever other student.... I don;t see a problem. Football player signs a scholarship with the university, if he can get paid in some manner or can get a job then that cool. If the player wants to go to another school on scholarship or other he should be free to go just like any other normal student.

The problem is collusion to but a cap on the expenses of players and a cap on basically salary (which is zero).

The NCAA should not be in a position to regulate a player outside of the 4 corners of the field, in general. This gets the schools out of the employer position but we are then going down the pay to play path... .but that is going to happen anyway.

Last edited:
Athletes should not be shown favoritism in consideration of other academic students.

Beyond the fact that both get scholarships, just about every other comparison between athletes and regular students falls apart.

If running a racket is silliness then I agree.

This does not happen in any other industry that I know of other than the mob.

Yes because the mob and organized crime have never infiltrated or influenced unions. It would magically clean the NCAA right up.

Reactions: 1 person
This topic just irritates me so much because I know what personal sacrifices I had to make to go to college and then I hear about kids who have 100% free rides b!*ching about wanting to get paid. I believe this is the single largest problem not only with college athletics but with the nation in general.... this sense of entitlement.

Reactions: 3 people
Yes because the mob and organized crime have never infiltrated or influenced unions. It would magically clean the NCAA right up.

No no, don't get me wrong, I have major issues there as well. I think they are taking this direction to just to get a determination as to what these athletes exactly are in legal terms. Trust me there are more actions coming, this ain't going away.

The solution is simple, treat the players like normal students and the problem goes away.

This topic just irritates me so much because I know what personal sacrifices I had to make to go to college and then I hear about kids who have 100% free rides b!*ching about wanting to get paid. I believe this is the single largest problem not only with college athletics but with the nation in general.... this sense of entitlement.

So, you think you have a right to decide for others what is good for them and what is not. The market should determine what someone is worth... it's not entitlement... it's common sense.

Boy those coaches must be super duper entitled, or better yet the professors with their cozy little offices. I am sorry but that is silly.

You are so entitled that you feel you are entitled to determine the entitlements of others. I on the other hand believe the market should be the one to decide... and this is how the legal system is basically set up for any other industry.

So they signed with an agent the same as Johnny Football, Lache Seastrunk and many, many others? Bye bye amateur status. Boot their azz' and move along.

these kids.. if they were not as dumb, they'd be earning an academic scholarship not an athletic scholarship so give them a break..

would they rather get paid cash while they pay their own college expenses? we'll see how they get by..
the school already pays them substantially for their room/board/tuition/books for their physical abilities..

the only time i got paid for my physical abilities was delivering food for House of Dragon on the strip..

So they signed with an agent the same as Johnny Football, Lache Seastrunk and many, many others? Bye bye amateur status. Boot their azz' and move along.

They did not sign with a sports agent. I believe they are seeking a determination of their "employment" status, from which they could then unionize.

these kids.. if they were not as dumb, they'd be earning an academic scholarship not an athletic scholarship so give them a break..

would they rather get paid cash while they pay their own college expenses? we'll see how they get by..
the school already pays them substantially for their room/board/tuition/books for their physical abilities..

the only time i got paid for my physical abilities was delivering food for House of Dragon on the strip..

The problem is you are trying to make them a collective when in fact they are individuals. One individual might be worth $5 million a year, say like Johnny Football, others may not be.

I think this is ultimately about freedom, whether or not all the players will benefit equally is never going to happen, just like in real life.

It's petty simple to me, if they are students then they should be treated like students... if they have heavy restrictions then they are "employees" and/or maybe "contractors" which opens up all kind of requirements for the schools and NCAA.

And you could in theory see in the free market what your physical abilities were worth or not worth.

This argument is coming up because poeple are using the term payment instead of compensation for their services. Players are being compensated for their services enough through existing policies suchas schollies, access to health services, food plans, ect...

This argument is coming up because poeple are using the term payment instead of compensation for their services. Players are being compensated for their services enough through existing policies suchas schollies, access to health services, food plans, ect...

That is there problem, they are receiving "compensation" for their "service" i.e. employees. The schools should be treating these players like employees and the employees are covered by all the laws of your state.

There are multiple problems but they can be solved easily, although not ideal, threat them like any other student.

The problem to me is not "compensation", it's being open to explore full compensation i.e. freedom.

They did not sign with a sports agent. I believe they are seeking a determination of their "employment" status, from which they could then unionize.

They have no employment status. They receive benefits for participating in a voluntary program for their development. They choose on their own free will to participate. There is nothing prohibiting them from taking other paths to their goals. To view it otherwise would be "entitlement."

You have to look at reality. The majority of college football and basketball players are recruited to be athletes first students second, there's no denying that. They are recruited to major programs with the promises of being developed to make it to the next level.

Furthermore, some of these athletes would never get into school if not for their athletic ability.

That's why you get the free ride. If you don't make it to the next level the free degrees you earned will & should help you out in the real world.

They have no employment status. They receive benefits for participating in a voluntary program for their development. They choose on their own free will to participate. There is nothing prohibiting them from taking other paths to their goals. To view it otherwise would be "entitlement."

this is what I said earlier...."willingly accpeted the terms for a scholarship"....

by the way...6000 posts! yeah me!

VN Store

Back