Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

FWIW South Carolina has another flashy opener this year in Vegas. The original opponent backed out but Dawn didn't reveal who that was. A new opponent is yet to be determined. SC has an away game with UCLA and a home game with UConn. Will also play in the ACC-SEC challenge.

I’m thinking it was probably Stanford but with Tara retiring and Iriafen transferring I could see why they might want to put that game on hold until they get their footing again.

I’m thinking it was probably Stanford but with Tara retiring and Iriafen transferring I could see why they might want to put that game on hold until they get their footing again.
Teams back out for a number of reason, could be scheduling conflict, we’ve done it in the past just like every other school, it’s not a big deal.

I really hate all this for Stanford. Great school, classy coach and program. What happened to the PAC 10 is a travesty.

Looks like SC will indeed go to UCLA this year in addition to games with UConn, NCSU, Duke and likely Md., and another West Coast team for the UCLA trip, plus play in the ACC/SEC challenge and an opponent tbd in Vegas.

Last edited:
I'm sure that's true, but all coaches say this all the time. Kellie Harper said it last year.
β€œScheduling is really hard because people don’t want to play us. They don’t,” Staley said. β€œReally good teams don’t want to play us and I don’t get it. People don’t realize that it doesn’t hurt you to play us, it only helps you.”

β€œScheduling is really hard because people don’t want to play us. They don’t,” Staley said. β€œReally good teams don’t want to play us and I don’t get it. People don’t realize that it doesn’t hurt you to play us, it only helps you.”
That’s just coach talk, nobody is scared to play anybody, this is just basketball not MMA or something.

Reactions: volfan__18
Lest anyone forget, this was the preseason WBB rankings last fall. These voters get it wrong occasionally in some respects, but they got it pretty damned close once again. Three of the preseason top six made the final four.

final rankings

Last edited:
Lest anyone forget, this was the preseason WBB rankings last fall. These voters get it wrong occasionally in some respects, but they got it pretty damned close once again. Three of the preseason top six made the final four.

final rankings

Yeah the parity is better in wbb but not in the tournament

FWIW South Carolina has another flashy opener this year in Vegas. The original opponent backed out but Dawn didn't reveal who that was. A new opponent is yet to be determined. SC has an away game with UCLA and a home game with UConn. Will also play in the ACC-SEC challenge.
I think Dawn might try for a match up with SoCal in Vegas which might be difficult. Two top 5 teams playing that early might take away the drama ( ratings ) if they meet in March. But it would almost be a home game for SoCal.

I think Dawn might try for a match up with SoCal in Vegas which might be difficult. Two top 5 teams playing that early might take away the drama ( ratings ) if they meet in March. But it would almost be a home game for SoCal.
They should play each other in Vegas and then hopefully again for the title. It's a marketing dream. Which school can claim the real USC bragging rights?

Building a team with UConn castoffs is one way to do it. Still not impressed by what Maryland did. They still have the same problem of no size that can play. Cannot convince me DeBerry will be useful for more than a few minutes a game. She’s a huge liability, just not cut out for this level of ball.

She should have played volleyball tbh

Reactions: Terrells Bay88
Building a team with UConn castoffs is one way to do it. Still not impressed by what Maryland did. They still have the same problem of no size that can play. Cannot convince me DeBerry will be useful for more than a few minutes a game. She’s a huge liability, just not cut out for this level of ball.

She should have played volleyball tbh
That's been Maryland's problem ever since Angel Reese left. Brenda's been bringing bunch of mostly guards and small forwards and making unbalanced rosters with them.

That's been Maryland's problem ever since Angel Reese left. Brenda's been bringing bunch of mostly guards and small forwards and making unbalanced rosters with them.
And then Brenda's been losing many of them the next off season. Making big portal hauls necessary every year. Doesn't sound like a really healthy cycle.

Hmm, a roster full of mostly guards and small forwards, that sounds familiar.

Yeah, having Masonius guard center all season didn’t do them any favors. At 6’1” she was physical but just way too small to defend effectively around the rim.

They really didn’t address that at all IMO, as stated I just don’t see DeBerry suddenly competing at a P5 level.

And then Brenda's been losing many of them the next off season. Making big portal hauls necessary every year. Doesn't sound like a really healthy cycle.

Hmm, a roster full of mostly guards and small forwards, that sounds familiar.

They basically top out at 6’1 for players that can play. We have a 6’4”, 6’5” and a couple 6’2” with Latham being very athletic I’m not sure where you’re coming up with us only having Small Forwards.

Puckett should really play more of a power forward with her size and strength, she’s probably the physically strongest player on the roster. But did we ever have her post up smaller defenders? Rarely.

She’s like Banghart. Gets some recruits and can’t coach them to the Elite 8.
Think she has a bunch of elite eights, some FF’s and oh yeah, a Natty. .770 lifetime winning %.

Statistics overview
SeasonTeamOverallConferenceStandingPostseason
1999–2000Ball State16–138–8T–6th
2000–01Ball State19–911–53rd
Ball State:35–22 (.614)19–13 (.594)
2001–02Minnesota22–811–53rdNCAA Second Round
Minnesota:22–8 (.733)11–5 (.688)
2002–03Maryland10–184–139th
2003–04Maryland18–139–93rdNCAA Second Round
2004–05Maryland22–109–85thNCAA Second Round
2005–06Maryland34–414–3T–2ndNCAA Champions
2006–07Maryland28–611–53rdNCAA Second Round
2007–08Maryland33–414–22ndNCAA Elite Eight
2008–09Maryland31–515–21stNCAA Elite Eight
2009–10Maryland21–136–109thWNIT Third Round
2010–11Maryland24–89–54thNCAA Second Round
2011–12Maryland31–512–43rdNCAA Elite Eight
2012–13Maryland26–814–43rdNCAA Sweet Sixteen
2013–14Maryland28–712–43rdNCAA Final Four
Maryland (ACC):306–101 (.752)129–69 (.652)
Maryland Terrapins (Big Ten Conference) (2014–present)​
2014–15Maryland34–318–01stNCAA Final Four
2015–16Maryland31–416–21stNCAA Second Round
2016–17Maryland32–315–1T–1stNCAA Sweet Sixteen
2017–18Maryland26–812–42ndNCAA Second Round
2018–19Maryland29–515–31stNCAA Second Round
2019–20Maryland28–416–21stPostseason not held
2020–21Maryland26–317–11stNCAA Sweet Sixteen
2021–22Maryland23–913–4T–2ndNCAA Sweet Sixteen
2022–23Maryland28–715–3T–2ndNCAA Elite Eight
2023–24Maryland19–149–9T–6thNCAA First Round
Maryland (Big Ten):274–58 (.825)146–29 (.834)
Maryland (Overall):582–161 (.783)
Total:639–191 (.770)
National champion Postseason invitational champion
Conference regular season champion Conference regular season and conference tournament champion
Division regular season champion Division regular season and conference tournament champion
Conference tournament champion

VN Store

Back