Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Should be at a different site every year.

This will not ever happen but I believe they should let each school host .

This year South Carolina, next year LSU and so on.
Agree. I corrected the numbers, 18-6 in favor of Tenn, and 16-6 since S.C. joined the conference. Greenville is about 160 miles from Knoxville and 105 from Columbia. The tourney returns to Tenn in 2026.

Could careless about the banner, I also stated it's their state school should've added , they can do what they want.

They statue is more intriguing, Boston had just as good a career at South Carolina as Wilson, hell put one of her while there at it.
Knox, Boston was a POY and won a NC. Same as Wilson on both measures, so I would be in favor. A lot of Heisman winners have statues, and the WBB POY is equivalent to that award. No argument here and I wouldn’t be surprised if she gets one some day. It’s done all across the country for similar accomplishments in men’s FB and other sports.

UF has one for each Heisman winner in Tebow, Weurfel and Spurrier as an example. Hell, Oklahoma has six statues for each Heisman winner on campus. I went to West Point, and all three Heisman winners from Army have a statue (Go Army, beat Navy). Why should it be different for the women?

I applaud them for celebrating women equally. It’s past the time for that. Maybe the question should have been why not Wilson with so many examples of men of similar accomplishments getting statues……..

I see UT has some well deserved statues of former players on campus as well.

Last edited:
Good ole George had some image rebuilding to do, which he did over time. The road around the stadium has also been named after George since shortly after he graduated.

For the life of me I will never understand anyone's infatuation with what another school does on their own campus in the form of statues or banners. But I tell you this, I hope that damned banner stays up forever because it lives rent free in so many people's heads....people who have no affiliation and shouldn't care one way or another. I see the Uconn fans on this site talking about the same banner all of the time...it drives them crazy, which makes it comical tbh, but everyone knows why their fans need something to pick at reference SC. You know who it doesn't bother? All of the AA recruits that come to SC to play. The banner stays.
Banner doesn't bother me, has nothing to do with UConn or their fans. None of our business.

Should be at a different site every year.

This will not ever happen but I believe they should let each school host .

This year South Carolina, next year LSU and so on.
Not ideal logistics for Texas AM, Ark, MO and LSU each year. And it’s Greenville…not a great tourist attraction for downtime

Not ideal logistics for Texas AM, Ark, MO and LSU each year. And it’s Greenville…not a great tourist attraction for downtime
I thought the same thing about Greenville until I actually went last year and loved it. They will always have the women's tournament at a place they think will maximize the chance of a big crowd, so mostly near a powerhouse or very centrally located that is a close ride to several school.

I thought the same thing about Greenville until I actually went last year and loved it. They will always have the women's tournament at a place they think will maximize the chance of a big crowd, so mostly near a powerhouse or very centrally located that is a close ride to several school.
I don’t disagree, I like Greenville and have friends who live there and will never leave. Nice place for a weekend visit…not a place I’ll book to go see a week long tournament.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Greenville has put in the most competitive bids for the last few years. They know they will have pretty good attendance.

Reactions: Rooster1
I don’t disagree, I like Greenville and have friends who live there and will never leave. Nice place for a weekend visit…not a place I’ll book to go see a week long tournament.
Doesn't matter much where it's at. If you attend every session and every game, you don't have much time left to worry about where it's at. It can be tiring.

Last edited:
Reactions: knoxvol52
Could careless about the banner, I also stated it's their state school should've added , they can do what they want.

They statue is more intriguing, Boston had just as good a career at South Carolina as Wilson, hell put one of her while there at it.
Let me educate you on this. There were many black players who had much better careers and statistics than Jackie Robinson. Jackie Robinson got his statues and accolades why ? Now do you understand ? There is something about being the 'first' that means more.

“Always with the negative waves Moriarity, why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”

Last edited:
I hope no one has a problem with this statue. Some would say that we aren't the real Carolina as UNC was charted first. But before 1712 there was only one Carolina and its seat of government was Charleston. At that time the area to the north was referred to as the back country. The split resulted from our different cultures, travel distance to Charleston and lack of representation. USC opened its doors in 1801 and that's 79 years before the other USC was founded. North Carolina doesn't recognize us as the birthplace of BBQ but we are. The world's first pig picking occurred in Georgetown, SC in 1520. That event happened when the Spanish first introduced pigs to this continent at Winyah Bay and met up with Native Americans who had perfected the art of pit cooking. I am always amused with a speech made in 1900 by a Charlotte orator who described our sister state as "a vale of humility between two mountains of conceit".

cocky.jpg

I hope no one has a problem with this statue. Some would say that we aren't the real Carolina as UNC was charted first. But before 1712 there was only one Carolina and its seat of government was Charleston. At that time the area to the north was referred to as the back country. The split resulted from our different cultures, travel distance to Charleston and lack of representation. USC opened its doors in 1801 and that's 79 years before the other USC was founded. North Carolina doesn't recognize us as the birthplace of BBQ but we are. The world's first pig picking occurred in Georgetown, SC in 1520. That event happened when the Spanish first introduced pigs to this continent at Winyah Bay and met up with Native Americans who had perfected the art of pit cooking. I am always amused with a speech made in 1900 by a Charlotte orator who described our sister state as "a vale of humility between two mountains of conceit".

View attachment 619853
Nice statue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aladywhovolunteer
Let me educate you on this. There were many black players who had much better careers and statistics than Jackie Robinson. Jackie Robinson got his statues and accolades why ? Now do you understand ? There is something about being the 'first' that means more.
Only thing I wondered why so soon.

Jackie broke color barrier in MLB but still took till 2017 to get a statue.

But I see and understand.

It took too long for Robinson’s, everyone can agree on that. Btw, those four statues of UT football players that went up in 2021, were done so to commemorate four ground breaking black athletes, most of whom played in the 60’s and 70’s. Sometimes it takes awhile, sometimes not so much, Oklahoma put up statues of Mayfield and Hurd shortly after they left campus.

Last edited:
Reactions: JustaChicken
Back to basketball big game tomorrow..
It’s one of the few games each year that I refrain from commenting on or predicting a score for Knox, as you can imagine. No injuries, clean play, good officiating is what I wish for. Should be an amazing environment in TBA tomorrow night.

Last edited:
“Always with the negative waves Moriarity, why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”

Believe I parlayed my response into four fan bases that have to travel a great deal yearly to Greenville. Pretty righteous to think of others not associated with my own.

Hopeful for a change would have been a resident of the state school, which host to acknowledge others travels yearly or lack of because of logistics.

Last edited:

Again let me educate you. Why not? There is no timeline on these things. It just seems like you have a problem with what we do. Jackie Robinson didn't get just one statue. That is another topic that we don't need to address because someone else or some other organization chose to do them. A History Of Jackie Robinson's Eight Statues

It’s one of the few games each year that I refrain from commenting on or predicting a score for Knox, as you can imagine. No injuries, clean play, good officiating is all I wish for. Should be an amazing environment in TBA tomorrow night.
My sister and I do not even discuss the game. I pull for the Vols every game except this one. My sister pulls for the Gamecocks (so she says lol) for every game but this one. We went to these two different schools by choice but now we as alumni have to check ourselves in the athletic part.

Believe I parlayed my response into four fan bases that have to travel a great deal yearly to Greenville. Pretty righteous to think of others not associated with my own.

Hopeful for a change would have been a resident of the state school, which host to acknowledge others travels yearly or lack of because of logistics.
Let’s revisit your thoughtfulness on the matter for the other schools when the tourney returns to Tenn for the 19th time in 2026.

FWIW Knoxville is closer to Greenville than Nashville and Athens is closer to Greenville than Columbia. Last time I was at the Greenville tourney the place was loaded with orange and not the traffic cone shade we normally see in the upstate.

Reactions: Rooster1
It’s one of the few games each year that I refrain from commenting on or predicting a score for Knox, as you can imagine. No injuries, clean play, good officiating is all I wish for. Should be an amazing environment in TBA tomorrow night.
Nah, don't think so. Probably be the usual 8K for a Thurs night game. There's been no real push like last yr for the UConn and SC games. They shot their wad for those games last year and then weren't competitive. I think most fans feel like I do - let's just get this over with and move on with the least amount of damage possible. If there's increased attendance and enthusiasm, it will be fm SC fans.

Depending on what happens at Vandy, LSU on a Sunday might be a different story.

Let’s revisit your thoughtfulness on the matter for the other schools when the tourney returns to Tenn for the 19th time in 2026.
Nashville central location with town/entertainment to support it. My thoughtfulness is limitless. Nashville is also a metro city with a diverse fan base represented by majority if not all teams. I’m all for a yearly rotation.

FWIW Knoxville is closer to Greenville than Nashville and Athens is closer to Greenville than Columbia. Last time I was at the Greenville tourney the place was loaded with orange and not the traffic cone shade we normally see in the upstate.
Which part of LSU, TX AM, Ark and MO was parlayed into Knoxville? Seems I had no mention of Tennessee.

VN Store

Back