No Man's Sky (PS4, Xbox One, PC)

I hope this game is good, but anytime I hear about something with this level of potential scope, I get doubtful that it can truly deliver what is promised. I remember similar promises being said about a game called "Spore". It promised to take you from starting out as a single celled organism, to managing the civilization of your creature, to going into space and exploring/colonizing. Unfortunately, the gameplay turned out to be very shallow (especially once you made it to the space stage) and rather disappointing when compared to how it had been hyped up.

Just curious, how many games in the past say 5 or so years have actually lived up to the hype? I really hope this one does.

So does anyone know what the actual point of this game is? Like let's say I buy the game, go home, fire it up, what am I trying to accomplish exactly?

So does anyone know what the actual point of this game is? Like let's say I buy the game, go home, fire it up, what am I trying to accomplish exactly?

The broad answer is to get to the center of the universe. That is the ultimate goal. The game will start you out on a random planet and your first order of business will be to acquire a ship so you can achieve space travel and go to other planets. You've heard the term open world game right? Well this game is open WORLDS. Every planet is 100% explorable and are modeled like actual full sized planets!

How you choose to play the game is up to you. You can be a trader, a smuggler, a pirate, a star fighter, a scientist, etc. There's a plethora of different ways to play this game. Ultimately the game is about exploration, resource gathering/management, survival, tech upgrading, forming alliances (or rivalries) with alien races, etc. You can focus solely on achieving the main objective or you can spend 100 hours on one planet (and there's something like 18 quintillion planets, all randomly generated). You can spend all your time getting into space battles or smuggling items for different alien races. There's virtually an endless amount of stuff to do.

Last edited:

It's up to you man. You can be an explorer, trader, fighter, etc...you don't necessarily choose it from the start like Skyrim per say, but you can build up your ship towards one of those things. The goal is to survive on each planet and ultimately make it to the center of the Galaxy. The closer you get to he center, the more bizarre the planets get. Supposedly there is a big surprise once you reach the center. Maybe a portal to another galaxy? No one knows yet but Hello Games.

The game is generated by algorithms and math equations. I just want to explore and get lost in space and different planets. Can't wait to play this game.

I think those who are expecting progressive storylines and linear objectives are going to be disappointed. This game, foundationally at least, looks like Minecraft in space...

Reactions: 1 person
The broad answer is to get to the center of the universe. That is the ultimate goal. The game will start you out on a random planet and your first order of business will be to acquire a ship so you can achieve space travel and go to other planets. You've heard the term open world game right? Well this game is open WORLDS. Every planet is 100% explorable and are modeled like actual full sized planets!

How you choose to play the game is up to you. You can be a trader, a smuggler, a pirate, a star fighter, a scientist, etc. There's a plethora of different ways to play this game. Ultimately the game is about exploration, resource gathering/management, survival, tech upgrading, forming alliances (or rivalries) with alien races, etc. You can focus solely on achieving the main objective or you can spend 100 hours on one planet (and there's something like 18 quintillion planets, all randomly generated). You can spend all your time getting into space battles or smuggling items for different alien races. There's virtually an endless amount of stuff to do.

I'm not sure I understand the whole "randomly generated planets" thing. Like I can go to a planet, explore it, leave it, and because it was randomly generated it could disappear and I could never see it again?

I'm not sure I understand the whole "randomly generated planets" thing. Like I can go to a planet, explore it, leave it, and because it was randomly generated it could disappear and I could never see it again?

Well, I'm no programmer but I'll try my best to explain it.

Actually "randomly generated" is not the correct term. The correct term is "procedurally generated." What that means basically is every planet in this game is rendered algorithmically as opposed to manually, which would be impossible considering there are 18 quintillion of them. Instead of Hello Games manually modeling and rendering 18 quintillion planets, they have developed an engine that does it automatically. So when you fly to a planet, the game engine will render that planet on the fly while you're there. Once you leave that planet, the engine completely discards it and renders the next planet you go to. Now, if you return to that planet again, it will be exactly the same as when you left it. The planet doesn't "re set" itself every time you visit it. It will remember how you left it. If other players fly to that planet, they will find it in exactly the same manner as the person who discovered it. Like if you discover a planet and do major terraforming like level mountains or create huge cavernous holes, or if you completely wipeout a species on a planet, the engine will remember that and whoever else flies to that planet will see those same changes that you made.

Now obviously, the engine will procedurally generate all planets using properties that Hello Games has put into it and according to them, those properties number in the thousands and thousands. Does that mean eventually there will be planets with similar properties with other planets? I'm sure it will considering how many planets there are. However Hello Games has said that 99% of the universe will go unexplored anyway because it's so massive.

Last edited:
But, in this game, if it's unexplored....is it really there?

The algorithm is there. Of course it doesn't get rendered until you approach it and then when you leave it, the engine discards it. It's actually pretty damn brilliant if you think about it. This very well may be the future in terms of the way developers think about creating vast worlds.

Last edited:
Apparently, this dev team has come up with a pretty amazing algorithm that can generate a planet that is always unique and filled with TONS of stuff to do.

If this really works out, this could open the door for a lot of amazing stuff in the future.

But, in this game, if it's unexplored....is it really there?

yjbmm.gif

Reactions: 3 people
That's what the world is waiting to see. I know I am. While I don't think it'll be for me, I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends up, reactions, and so forth.

Dollars to doughnuts this game gets VR support. It seems tailor made for it. I'd be willing to bet that will be one of the surprise E3 announcements.

Dollars to doughnuts this game gets VR support. It seems tailor made for it. I'd be willing to bet that will be one of the surprise E3 announcements.

Sean has been asked if it will be several times but he's very tight lipped about it and usually skates around the question. Some say that Sony doesn't want him to say anything yet.

Well, I'm no programmer but I'll try my best to explain it.

Actually "randomly generated" is not the correct term. The correct term is "procedurally generated." What that means basically is every planet in this game is rendered algorithmically as opposed to manually, which would be impossible considering there are 18 quintillion of them. Instead of Hello Games manually modeling and rendering 18 quintillion planets, they have developed an engine that does it automatically. So when you fly to a planet, the game engine will render that planet on the fly while you're there. Once you leave that planet, the engine completely discards it and renders the next planet you go to. Now, if you return to that planet again, it will be exactly the same as when you left it. The planet doesn't "re set" itself every time you visit it. It will remember how you left it. If other players fly to that planet, they will find it in exactly the same manner as the person who discovered it. Like if you discover a planet and do major terraforming like level mountains or create huge cavernous holes, or if you completely wipeout a species on a planet, the engine will remember that and whoever else flies to that planet will see those same changes that you made.

Now obviously, the engine will procedurally generate all planets using properties that Hello Games has put into it and according to them, those properties number in the thousands and thousands. Does that mean eventually there will be planets with similar properties with other planets? I'm sure it will considering how many planets there are. However Hello Games has said that 99% of the universe will go unexplored anyway because it's so massive.

This is realistic though. There are many many planets that are very similar in our galaxy and universe to Earth.

Delayed again. No set date. Could be July or August. Some are thinking it won't come out until VR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like August 9th is the new date. Was really looking forward to June 21st!

VN Store

Back